.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old October 24th, 2008, 05:04 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road
Default Defending your candles

Generally, building temples and preaching is the way to defend your dominion. However, is it possible to optimize?-
I mean for example, is it better to have 9 H1 priests preaching in one province or spread out in threes and preaching in three provinces?
When building temples, is it better to build in adjacent provinces or rather in non adjacent provinces (given its best to build temples in *all* provinces, buts hardly very practical)?
What of the following has better preaching potency?
5 H1 priests,
3 H2 priest,
2 H3 priest,
1 H5 priest,
With and w/o temple?-
Is it a simple linear equation?- N*H or N*2H (N, # priests, H- holy level)

What if you don't care about losing dominions in your lands but rather have a specific province you absolutely must have your dominion? (for example, when LA R'lyeh is your neighbor)

Any further tip on the subject would be most welcome
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:34 AM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Defending your candles

H1 priests can only raise dominion above a certain level. iirc it's something like their base holy level (x2 if they're at a temple) +1. I'm probably wrong there, but I'll be corrected. It's pretty widely known.

If you absolutely must have dominion in a certain province, using priests preaching is far more effective than raising dominion spread in other ways. Stationing something with domspread there may also do the trick, though it isn't certain to be added to the dominion of that province, so still, preaching is better.
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:10 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombre View Post
H1 priests can only raise dominion above a certain level. iirc it's something like their base holy level (x2 if they're at a temple) +1. I'm probably wrong there, but I'll be corrected. It's pretty widely known.
However, 2 things to bear in mind here -

First, and more obvious, if you are starting with enemy dominion, even if it's at 10 then you can still preach it down fairly fast with large numbers of weak priests.

Second, and less obvious, I am quite positive that if you have a large number of priests in one location, it performs the "able to preach" check for all of them before it runs the temple checks. That is to say that they can preach beyond their max if you have multiple priests, and the Dominion level was below their max at the start of that turn, eg - 5 H1 priests in a Dom2 province may push it to Dom5 in that turn, and then be unable to preach further.
Old October 24th, 2008, 11:54 AM

Major General

Gregstrom is on a distinguished road

P94 of the manual gives a preaching formula. It looks like H1 priests aren't worth much when preaching. H2 priests are good workhorses for preaching duty, and H3 are excellent. H4-5 will counter enemy dominion effectively, although dominion change in this way may not be an effective use of their time.

Sombre is right about the priest level cap on preaching dominion, so don't expect multiple H1 priests to give much of an effect.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:11 PM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Sombre is correct about H1 priests. But on many occasions I have put 10+ indy H1 priests to preach in a province and have seen that there is a stack of effect. By that I do not mean I get the effect of one H10 priest, but rather each priest gets a check for the dominion influence and you can effect a change of 4 or more candles in a single turn. Once you get 3 or more candles in a province the H1 priests have no further effect on dominion.
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Major General

Meglobob is on a distinguished road

I usually take lower dominion on nations with H3's, as just a few H3's can get your dominion to 6-7 in 2-3 turns of preaching.

You can't beat H3's, H2's and H1's are not worth the bother unless your desperate.
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:25 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I hardly ever really bother with thinking about my dominion, my border province usually have 1-2 black candles. (usually only build temples if needed to recruit mages in key castles) Does that really work much against me? Most races with 400 gc temples would need to invest quite a lot in them to get dominion spreading outwards.. is that really worth it?
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old October 24th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

It would depend on if you were using dominion as part of your strategy (temperature, death, magic, unluck, spells such as Wrath of God, carrion theme, etc). And how strong a dominion your god came with. Some nations can get along ignoring it, and others would die almost instantly if they ignored it.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old October 24th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Major General

Baalz will become famous soon enough

Spreading your dominion can make quite a difference depending on what nation you're playing.

Temperature scales impact your income. In a worst case scenario you're giving up 30% of your income from those provinces with a 6 off shift in temperature. How significant that is depends on how much of your empire is affected, and how much the temperature shift is.

Likewise, order shift is important. Even outside of the worst case scenario where you have order-3 and your neighbor has sloth-3, lets look at the more likely scenario that you both have order-3. You're giving up another 27% of income by not having your beneficial order dominion there.

Growth/death and production/sloth is similar, but less dramatic assuming you don't have your production centers out of dominion.

Luck/Misfortune - whether your neighbor has luck or misfortune doesn't matter - it's all misfortune to you. Under the thought that good luck for your neighbor is bad luck for you, a Luck-3 enemy dominion will act like Misfortune for you. It's very bad to have enemy Turmoil/luck dominion! Few people take misfortune-3, but luck-3 isn't terribly uncommon and assuming you've got an order-3 dominion you're looking at nearly a 60% decrease from that shift alone before the bad events hit you!

All said and done, depending on the scales involved it's not hard to be looking at something on the order of losing 50% of your income from the provinces with enemy scales, possibly considerably more.

Also, friendly dominion gives +1 morale, hostile a -1. A 2 point swing in morale is fairly huge for most PD.

Also, everything I said goes in reverse as well. How much is it worth to push your dominion into your neighbor's lands?

Last edited by Baalz; October 24th, 2008 at 04:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Baalz For This Useful Post:
Old October 24th, 2008, 05:20 PM

First Lieutenant

Edratman is on a distinguished road

Nicely stated Baalz.