whdonnelly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Helo News game related.

Not sure speed is everything, but there is (or will be, maybe)this

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the...51839/+barrett
Old October 4th, 2014, 01:07 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

I play with large maps because I like some maneuver in my battles (by myself and the AI) and I like to have 3-4 turns before I run into the opposition (and the naps are still small enough AI infantry forces get to the battle ... admittedly usually after most of their armor/APCs are dead, but they do take part). I also set the AI NON-tank heavy because I prefer more realistic force compositions. Yeah, at a key point armor should, and would, be concentrated to make a break thru, but I'm not playing scenarios where I'm representing a small part of a MUCH larger battle.

I find that a pair of scout and two pair of attack helos are invaluable, but then I also buy a LOT less armor then most folks (one platoon per battalion sized MEU) and an Attack helo is comparable to a tank in terms of point cost. So helos make up for my lack of tanks. This is of course problematic vs higher-tech opponents (with VIRSS and to an extent reactive "armor") but that's why I always buy ammo resupply units.

I also use transport helos regularly (tho I'll admit I've upgraded all but the very early (pre 1960s) models to 1 armor) and find it useful to drop an infantry company on, or near, some hard to reach bit of terrain.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old October 21st, 2014, 01:15 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Helo News game related.

The next two are updates as well. For the first on the APKWS II, I have already taken for action of adding to the Jets and Planes list the Jordanian gunships and the helos adding the TIGER AH's with the new rocket pods (Note: These are the Forges de Zeebrugge’s FZ90 pods already in the game on the French + others we added a couple of years ago.) mounted.
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...d-phase-02193/

The next will precipitate a change also for the Gulf States OOB (In this regard for the UAE.) to not only add the TALON but I'm willing to bet the APACHES as well. That's right, the TALON will go to the UAE before the USA gets them. The UAE is a co-developer of the TALON rocket.
https://www.defenseindustrydaily.com...entries-03157/

I'll be outta here for a week to reward for my "Dr./Nurse" CINCLANTHOME during my recovery and 28 years of putting up with my cra...poop . See you guys have been lucky it's ONLY been almost 7 years for you...and I heard that !!
Have a great week/weekend!!

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old November 4th, 2014, 08:10 PM

Lieutenant General

For a friend, just one of many but better than most...
http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/uh1y-huey/

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:42 PM

Lieutenant General

I can find references to the USAF getting the UH-1N in May 1971. But nothing to indicate the USMC got them earlier then 1973.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old November 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM

Lieutenant General

Got to get ready for work...but these should support 1971 and retirement of the UH-1N/HH-1N (USN version.). The retirement matches the USMC AVPLAN 2030 I recently posted in the Jets Thread.
http://www.janes.com/article/42729/u...m-usmc-service
http://www.navair.navy.mil/index.cfm...8-813E90688F26

Regards,
Pat

The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old November 9th, 2014, 07:24 PM

Lieutenant General

Still can't find anything indicating when the USMC got the UH-1N, but I'll go with 01/1972.

Old November 10th, 2014, 01:01 AM

Lieutenant General

I know where to go, you'll have seen the ref before (LAV-AD?) but the website has changed. I'll see if I can recover it and still access it.

Regards,
Pat

Old November 10th, 2014, 02:14 AM

Lieutenant General

As I thought...I've used the following in the past but MCU was getting ready to reorganize their library and re-digitalize their data as well. You might recognize the format as I believe I used this data for the LAV-AD when "correcting" it (Check the Fastboat Patch/or SPAA Threads. However the link might be dead as stated above.)
Click on 1982 see January 13th where it's noting the first F/A HORNET is being assembled you'll find nuggets concerning equipment etc. on this page by year throughout. This was one of my best resources (AV-8 comes to mind now as well.) when concerning my research on USMC equipment.
https://www.mcu.usmc.mil/historydivi...hronology.aspx
I'm toast now I have other resources to check on concerning the UH-1N. HOPEFULLY this won't turn into a "French 105mm campaign" one just never knows - GOOD NIGHT!!

Regards,
Pat

Old November 10th, 2014, 04:22 AM

Lieutenant General

Well this is what I've found.
Since the first deliveries were apparently sometime in 1971 I'll stick to the 01/1972 operational deployment date since I can't find any definitive information.

"211 UH-1N ( Bell 212 ) were ordered for USMC service in late 1960s. Six ( plus 2 conversions ) were for presidential use (Marine One) as VH-1N and are listed separately. Many were later converted to HH-1N and turned over to US Navy as land based rescue/utility machines.
Deliveries of the twin huey (HH/UH-1N) to US Navy/USMC began in 1971. The last, and newest, UH-1N Iroquois was delivered in January 1979."

"Originating from a 1955 U.S. Army contract for a medical evacuation helicopter, the first Navy/Marine Corps Iroquois variant, the UH-1E, was first procured in 1964. Deliveries of the current version, the HH/UH-1N, began in 1971."