Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old May 31st, 2016, 01:09 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default War is boring link

https://warisboring.com/steel-panthe...acc#.kn7kl6njk

The screen shots certainly could have been better.......but at least they are OUR screen shots

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2016, 01:16 PM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: War is boring link

Your link sent me to Atlanta. 404 error.

troopie
Old May 31st, 2016, 02:42 PM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Just when I have a craving to read someone's review of Steel Panthers, and here it is!
Interesting read, except at the end...where seemingly SPWAW is superior to SPWW2.

It's funny how the author inferred that SPWAW has a more beautiful graphics, yet all screenshots are from Camo's/Shrapnelgames version.

SPWAW, according to the author, is noteworthy for its "...improved art and sound" and
"...for its additional bells and whistles, including an armor-penetration model that uses real-world armor values and game mechanics such as the ability to plan parachute and glider landings, infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines and decide whether or not to take opportunity shots."

Anyone who has played the Camo's version knows for sure that those are not the specialty for just SPWAW. In fact, I think SPWAW art-style seems cartoony, and its map graphics has too much contrast, not a lot of color shades there, as compared to Camo's version (which is more gritty & realistic-looking in my opinion). Realistic armor-penetration model, SPMBT & SPWW2 have that too. Parachute & glider landing, ditto. Infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines...what the hell? As if it's a "unique feature"!

The only exception would be the choice whether to open Opportunity fire when on enemy's turn.... well, this feature is rather cumbersome, it really slows down gameplay for no appreciable benefit on realism, and besides, the AI doesn't utilize it, and human players rarely bother with the much slower playing workflow. Camo's version tackles this problem beautifully with the OpFire Filtering mechanism.

But the most important and hugest difference between SPWAW and the Camo's versions is the fact that Camo Workshop continually updates (and is still continually updating) the games, not only fixing bugs, but also expanding, researching, & correcting OOBs, more unit icons & graphics, new gameplay features, and more Campaigns & Scenarios. As if that's not enough, the fact that the developers are actively interacting with users on the Forum & listening to user feedback, is a huge huge difference.

RD

PS: Troopie, the link is "censored" by the Forum due to inclusion of the word "ass" in the address. Google it, or simply retype the address to include the word "ass".

Last edited by RightDeve; May 31st, 2016 at 02:58 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RightDeve For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2016, 06:22 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Lets try THIS ...........

Well that didn't work either........I hate being "Nannyied"

Google ........

Venerable hex game is free to download

and that should get you the link as the first choice
Old May 31st, 2016, 07:28 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

404 error Don.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old May 31st, 2016, 09:36 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes, we know Shrapnel is nannying the link

Google ........

Venerable hex game is free to download
Old June 1st, 2016, 03:08 AM

Sergeant

troopie is on a distinguished road

Thank for your suggestion. I did so.

troopie
Old June 1st, 2016, 07:45 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
Just when I have a craving to read someone's review of Steel Panthers, and here it is!
Interesting read, except at the end...where seemingly SPWAW is superior to SPWW2.

It's funny how the author inferred that SPWAW has a more beautiful graphics, yet all screenshots are from Camo's/Shrapnelgames version.

SPWAW, according to the author, is noteworthy for its "...improved art and sound" and
"...for its additional bells and whistles, including an armor-penetration model that uses real-world armor values and game mechanics such as the ability to plan parachute and glider landings, infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines and decide whether or not to take opportunity shots."

Anyone who has played the Camo's version knows for sure that those are not the specialty for just SPWAW. In fact, I think SPWAW art-style seems cartoony, and its map graphics has too much contrast, not a lot of color shades there, as compared to Camo's version (which is more gritty & realistic-looking in my opinion). Realistic armor-penetration model, SPMBT & SPWW2 have that too. Parachute & glider landing, ditto. Infiltrate special forces behind enemy lines...what the hell? As if it's a "unique feature"!

The only exception would be the choice whether to open Opportunity fire when on enemy's turn.... well, this feature is rather cumbersome, it really slows down gameplay for no appreciable benefit on realism, and besides, the AI doesn't utilize it, and human players rarely bother with the much slower playing workflow. Camo's version tackles this problem beautifully with the OpFire Filtering mechanism.

But the most important and hugest difference between SPWAW and the Camo's versions is the fact that Camo Workshop continually updates (and is still continually updating) the games, not only fixing bugs, but also expanding, researching, & correcting OOBs, more unit icons & graphics, new gameplay features, and more Campaigns & Scenarios. As if that's not enough, the fact that the developers are actively interacting with users on the Forum & listening to user feedback, is a huge huge difference.

RD
Yeah I wonder what planet WaW has "improved Art"....gimme a break.... most of the Icons in WaW are MY early attempts that have been replaced in our games ( except for one of the "unoffical" mods for it that used------without permission......the newer Icons from SPWW2 .. I will grant the sounds are more extensive but thats ONLY because neither Andy nor I play with sound on so it's not an issue for either of us and "an armor-penetration model that uses real-world armor values" was simply converting centimeters to millimeters but you cannot do that for MBT as the millimeters values of modern tanks go beyond the fundamental capability of the game engine to use and display------- and it makes bugger all difference to game play anyway except MAYBE ( big maybe........) anti-tank rifles vs thin armoured targets that the random variables even out

Don

Last edited by DRG; June 1st, 2016 at 08:01 AM..
Old June 1st, 2016, 04:54 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

MarkSheppard is on a distinguished road

War is boring is...not known for in depth research into what they're talking about.
Old June 1st, 2016, 06:32 PM

Private

keif149 is on a distinguished road

I was flooded with junk mail after visiting that web page.
:-/