Old September 8th, 2016, 03:32 PM

Captain

Pibwl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bulgarian OOB19 v.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibwl View Post

BTW, as for Dornier 11 - it's hard to find any color drawing, but it seems they were grey http://modelingmadness.com/review/preww2/attarddo11.htm (although the model there uses late markings)
Yes, I know
Beautiful
Only one thing: it may be worth to change X markings to pre-war ones. I've found only one photo, which vaguely shows markings on wings:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BG_Do11_Image1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	14453  
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Attached Images

Old September 8th, 2016, 06:05 PM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post

If you wanted, there is also #161 Junkers A-20 with inadequate icon http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vue...rs_a20b_3v.jpg. But I don't urge you to make such negligible AOP plane. However, better icon as for now seems 934 - similar silver low-wing. Bulgarian A.20 had no markings on upper sides, it might have civilian registration, but I can't find upper photos.
Old September 9th, 2016, 03:42 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by zastava128 View Post
The scenario in question is #101, and it's the only one involving Bulgaria.
Yep, that's the one - I re-discovered it myself yesterday and gave it another try, resulting in marginal victory. It is a pretty fun little scenario to play as the Germans, with a few surprises taking place...
Old September 9th, 2016, 08:51 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,423 Times in 2,694 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I didn't vote to remove MB-210 in last post, it was only my opinion.
New source I found says
Quote:

Bloch MB.210
This low-wing monoplane bomber served with Romania, but not Bulgaria.
We have info that 6 were passed to Bulgaria by the Gemrans but then they seem to have vanished......It's possible that Bulgaria sold them to the Romanians but equally possible that the original info that 6 were passed on to Bulgaria.....got the country wrong and it was Romania they were passed to..EITHER could be correct but the evidence is stacking up that they were NOT used by the Bulgarians even if they HAD been given 6 by the Germans....so I've pulled it from the OOB
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:27 PM

Private

warhorse is on a distinguished road

This from the book "Armored Vehicles 1935-1945" by Kaloyan Matev, Equipment and Armor in the Bulgarian Army.I will list the Bulgarian name given to them, and any relevant info

01 Vickers 6 Ton-Usually all mediums called 'tank', then name. tank "Vickers" (Model E, variant B, 50 rounds 47mm QFSA, 4000 rounds 7.92 Vickers). There were 8 total, ordered in 1936, and finally delivered in the beginning of 1937, to be used in the Second Tank Company.

02 Ansaldo L.3/33-Light tank "Ansaldo-Fiat" or just "Ansaldo". Fitted with one 8mm Schwarzlose MG with 1800 rounds. March 1935 they were formed into the First Tank Company of 14 vehicles.

Both of the above were usually not in a combined "Battalion", rather broken up into platoons amongst Infantry units, two groups of 7 Ansaldo,one for the Motorised Division, one for the covering Front, and one group of the 8 Vickers for the Army HQ.

03 Skoda Pz 35 (t)-Tank "Skoda"/"Skoda T-11" first 26 supplied in Feb-April 1940, then 10 more in Aug-October 1940, although only 7 are received intitially, the other three arrive in Jan 1941. Interestingly the lot of ten in the second set, are better armed with the A7 gun instead of the A3, they were supposed to go to Afghanistan in 1938, but the German occupation of Czech territory prevents the transaction. They are purchased by Bulgaria instead! So, the first set of 26 are fererred to as just "Skoda", the 10 others are also called "Skoda", or sometimes "Skoda T-11". Formed Third Tank Company.

04 PzKw 35R 731(f)-Tank "Renault"40 tanks supplied to Bulgaria from trophy in May 1941, all armament stock French.They are not used in action and stored for awhile until later in 1941.SA-18 L/21 37mm gun 58 rounds gun, 2500 MG.

08 PzKw V-Tank "Panther"T-V one trophy unit supplied from the Soviets in March 1945 from Shiklosh Station, along with 14 other various trophy tanks.Eventually in March 1941 there are a total of 15 various makes of Panther, none fire a shot in combat before wars end.

09 JPz38(t) Hetzer-Assault Gun "Praga" 4 units trophy from Soviets in March 1945 with others from Shiklosh Station.

10 PzKw IVg-All Panzer IV models called Tank "Maybach"T-IV, total of 97 supplied from Germany period May 1943-Feb 1944 under the Barbara program. More as trophy from Soviets later. All marks.

11 Skoda T-11-Covered above under Skoda, called Tank "Skoda", or Tank "Skoda T-11" 10 total units.

14 StuH 42-Assault Howitzer 10.5cm, chassis number#1503, one vehicle.Soviet Trophy.

15 PzKw 39H 735(f)-Tank "Hotchkiss"19 supplied from Germany in Feb 1944.SA-18 L/21 gun, 100 rounds gun, 2400 MG.Relegated to the Gendarmerie for anti-partisan work.

16 JPz IV/70A-Assault Gun "Maybach T-IV" 2 units, part of the 13 trophy vehicles from Shiklosh Station.Lists as using the 7.5cm StuK42 L/70.

StuG III should be called Assault Gun "Maybach T-III"

Anyway, not splitting hairs, if there is any interest, I can touch up nomenclature as I have the books.Also for tractors, trucks, and have oob's for Bulgarian Army.

Last edited by warhorse; September 9th, 2016 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Didn't turn out right!
Old September 11th, 2016, 06:24 PM

Captain

Quote:
14 StuH 42 - I could find info in any articles, that Bulgaria used StuH 42 (...)

16 JPz IV/70A - ... only one JgPz IV/70 was used (but in ordinary V variant, not Alkett), and one JgPz IV/48. ...
(They were green, but I know it's not too important to bother...)

It is now in a formation 075 with a single Stug, there might be IV/48 added instead.

287 JPz IV/70A - same as above, but class Assault Gun after 6/45. There is a danger, that a battery with seven such vehicles can be taken...

I don't know if there is a sense to gather all these vehicles after 6/45 in a common Assault gun class - maybe it's better to keep them separated, like in 3/45-5/45?
Moreover, on a page https://bg.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A2...B0%D0%BD%D0%BA) there is a mention, that 4 Hetzers and 5 other SP-guns formed a SP-gun battery within the 1st Army. The others were surely 2 Jpz IV and maybe 3 Stugs?.. or a command Turan and two L-40, although they are said to create a recce platoon?
Maybe it's worth to create in 3/45 and keep until the end such mixed unit, instead of formation 12 Assault Gun Bty?
I've contacted a guy, who wrote articles at Bulgarian Wikipedia, basing upon Kaloyan Matev "The Armoured Forces of the Bulgarian Army 1936-45".

According to Matev the assault gun battery of the 1st Army had 4 Hetzers, 3 Stug III, 1 Jgpz IV/70 (V) and one StuH 42. Apart from Stugs, which had been standard Bulgarian SP-guns before, the vehicles were given by the Soviets in 3/45. But the sole StuH 42 is suspicious, since reportedly it is missing in protocols of delivery from the Soviet Army. However, there was also existing Jagdpanzer IV L/48 (which survived in the museum, and probably is on a photo with Turan, that I'll attach).

So, if we leave 14 StuH 42, then we should add Jagdpanzer IV L/48 in the same category (SP Artillery), so the user can choose, which one is more credible. Then we'll have a perfectly correct formation 71 Assault Gun Bty, with all 7 vehicles (however I don't know which should be commanding vehicle..)

As I wrote before, I believe, that this formation and its sub-formations should exist until the end (now 5/45). I don't know if this battery existed as a whole after the war, but now we have formation 76 Assault Gun Bty from 6/46, with a danger of having 7 Jpz IV/70 or 7 Hetzers - while their number didn't increase after the war.

17 Scafo L-40 - its class Assault gun should be changed to sth else (eg. 52 SP-AT vehicle), because now they can be used interchangeably with Stugs. In fact, there were only two L-40 (known in Bulgaria as SPA vehicles...), and they were used in a recce unit with Turan tank only (form. 14 Arm Recce Pl).

I suggest names:
PzKw IVg - Maybach T-IV
Jpz-IV - SO T-IV (in fact, also known as Maybach T-IV SP-gun (SO or ShO - assault gun), but we should tell it apart from a tank, and full names will be too long...)
Jpz-IV/70 - SO T-IV/70
Hetzer: SO Praga (or just Praga)
Stug III: Maybach T-III
Old September 12th, 2016, 06:12 PM

Captain

To finish with Bulgaria:

7 PzKw IVh - PzKpfw IV (Maybach T-IV) were devoid of hull skirts soon after arrival - there are no photos of tanks with hull skirts at all, especially from their combat service. Also the photo shows the tank without hull skirts. I'd remove this unit, since we have 10 PzKw IVg - or one of them should be early tank with Dunkelgelb camo (icon 1409, 7/43-12/44), and the other - late tank (green icon 1408, from 1/45) and with a photo with shield markings.

There could be also added post-war tank, with turret skirts removed as well - from 6/45, although according to one photo, they might have appeared as soon as 3/45. I'm ataching some photos.

BTW: unit 10 PzKw IVg has too small turret side and rear armor, not counting skirts.

45 PzKw IIIn - there is no info about Pz III in Bulgarian service at all, especially as soon as 1943.

53 SdKfz 223 (Fu) - I'm attaching better photo - current one is in fact turretless SdKfz 261 captured by the Soviets

151,152 Drski Class
- better photo
http://vimpel.boinaslava.net/images/pic_Hrabri2.jpg
http://vimpel.boinaslava.net/images/pic_Hrabri.jpg

(BTW: an interesting early 20th century torpedo boat, preserved in a museum in Varna)
Attached Files
File Type: zip BG tanks.zip (1.59 MB, 312 views)