.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Old April 2nd, 2005, 01:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Facing the Music

Hello Everyone:

Facing the Music
Come to think of it – I’m not even sure what the heck that means- “facing the music” - but that’s something people say in situations like this. I guess.

First of all: –Apologies-
I would like to apologize to anyone who thinks I may have ignored their posts or neglected them. Even more so for anyone who is pissed (can I say that – OH yea – I’m the moderator – so I guess so) about the delay for Salvo. I realized after working things out with Shrapnel that EVERYONE who had already preordered or was planning on purchasing Salvo was receiving absolutely noting for the delay, cuz you are all PC people by definition. I don’t have a good recovery here, so all I can do is say that I am sorry for the delay, and that it is necessary for the future of Salvo to broaden the support base. More involvement in the first round will improve the updates and following products. FWIW - If you are pissed, please take it out on me – let me have it!

Update:
The prep work for bringing on the Mac functionality has caused a little erosion in my progress, and there was also some inherent slippage. <G> I have triaged some of the campaigns (Shortened or even truncated to single battles) to recover time, but all in all - I am happy with where I am at. As soon as the Mac beta testers are lined up and the game ahas passed the first round of Mac testing – the demo will be out.

Bringing It Together:
Back to the first part – about apologies and whatnot. Making a game is hard and I have been cranking to try to get all the details done. The last few weeks have been a bit rough, but a lot of the grunt work is done. The Battles / Campaigns will need a little tweaking & polishing, and (gulp) I have a significant laundry list of fixes and tweaks for the code. <I’m probably not supposed to say that – but the list is actually fairly minor stuff, like: Adding a ‘fouled’ roll-over cursor.> However, all of this should be easily manageable within the next round of testing, and Salvo should clear the next deadline with ease. (personal comment about ‘should’ removed)

Additionally – With the campaigns done and the total battles in place or in the works: Salvo is 99% done. The tweaks and fixes from the next round of testing should both finish the code and also flush out any problems in the campaigns.

Recursions:
PDF, FJ_MD & the rest – If I have not replied to your post – I will be revisiting it soon. The only thing I can say is that something or other had been taking up my time. I have been visiting the forums and am totally blown away with the activity – but I was never any good at OHIO and only visit the forums at the end of the day:: totally pooped. I don’t have internet in my office or working environment cuz Id get nothing done –Id be too busy looking up the price of Mac Minis. <RIGHT?>. However – I do hope to have the situation under control directly, so you can expect a little less neglect.

TTFN

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old April 2nd, 2005, 05:29 AM

Second Lieutenant

FJ_MD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Facing the Music

Take your time! no one is going to hit you on the back! Think about that when the game is out... we all have lot of years to play with it! As an example, I'm still playing a lot of titles from the late '90...

Old April 2nd, 2005, 07:45 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Combat Wombat is on a distinguished road

Take your time and do it right, I think most people can wait an extra month.

A* Se+++ GdQ $? Fr! C* Css Sf-- Ai% Au M+++ Mp* S@ Ss++++ RNSHP Pw++ Fq+++ Nd++ Rp++ G++++ Mm++ Bb+++@ L+ Tcp--
Get the newest Version of Invasion! here: http://www.secenter.org/

Old April 2nd, 2005, 10:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road

Wow-

Thanks guys – its good to hear that message. Actually – I don’t see any real choice, a late game is just late, but a game pushed out the door before it is ready and fully tested is a nightmare.

Thanks again!!! <Still busing my, uh posterior. More to Come.>

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old April 3rd, 2005, 02:00 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

OK Andrew, that's understandable, you're forgiven ... Why don't you ask SG people to give news more regularly - for example put some dates on your site' "schedule" page ?
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:16 PM

Corporal

Lord Hammer is on a distinguished road

Personally, i don't think it's fair for us PC players who pre-ordered to have to wait because:
a) you decided to incorporate a Mac version at the last minute.
b) we have to go without eg: "triaged campaigns" because of the Mac version.
c) Mac testing/functionality may open another can of worms.
When the "gone gold/pre-order" announcement was released you/they made it appear as it was in the final stages. Of course, the egg is now on my face as i was warned not to get my hopes up due to the endless wait for some "other" shrapnel product that many of my colleagues have pre-ordered .
You said to let you have it , so there!
Now that i have vented i will say this: your product looks great and it will fill a great void for those of us fond of the Age Of Sail. Shrapnel has my money so i'm powerless and yes, i am disappointed, only you can make it worth our while .
Old April 4th, 2005, 01:30 PM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

BTW, who asked for a Mac port so late in the game schedule ? Shrapnel ?
Personnally I don't think it will make more than an additional 10% sales, but I may be wrong and that's still 10% more ...