.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old July 3rd, 2006, 10:42 AM

Private

majama is on a distinguished road
Default team victory conditions

Will be added any aliances possibility and team play? Its most needed in multiplayer games.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:04 PM

Corporal

SafeKeeper is on a distinguished road
Default Re: team victory conditions

It'd be really nice. It'd also be a good thing if you can just set locked teams before game-start, like in most RTS games.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Right now the only alliances are between the AI's.
Alliances between players are possible manually. Adding them to the game as a menu will just limit things.

What kind of alliance benefits did you have in mind?
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 3rd, 2006, 06:35 PM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

For one thing, it'd allow the computer AI to be informed that there had been an alliance or treaty when someone goes AI. Currently it's a terrible mess when a neighbor who had a treaty goes AI.

It'd also allow people to propose treaties (NAPs, etc) in-game and be reminded of them. Of course, if Illwinter would simply output all messages to a text file for the game, people could at least review what was sent in-game.

That, at least, would be pretty trivial to implement : new turn comes in, the messages get appended to a log file in the user's game directory.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 07:02 PM

Private

majama is on a distinguished road

I think presettings before start of game (if victory is by points game should be ended when team summary get needed points).
Very interesting can be playing two humans versus 10 computers.
Next question is about sharing visions in my team (borders, battles).
Also eliminating eccidental battles when two alies atacking one province and killing army each other.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 08:51 PM

Corporal

SafeKeeper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Alliances between players are possible manually. Adding them to the game as a menu will just limit things.
How so? It works great in RTS games.

Look, I like unfixed teams, too, but I also like fixed alliances that cannot be broken.

I strongly dislike the "accidental battles". I should be able to jointly attack a province with an ally of mine without our armies fighting each other. They don't necessarily need to fight together, although it'd be nice if they somehow could (lining up next to each others or something), but having them be able to fight in the same province without tearing each others apart would be really, really nice.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 09:43 PM

Sergeant

Archonsod is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I strongly dislike the "accidental battles". I should be able to jointly attack a province with an ally of mine without our armies fighting each other.

Surely that should be down to both players to organise, rather than the game? If you don't communicate with your allies, then that's whats going to happen.
I'm kind of 50/50 on the whole alliance thing. On the one hand, it could prove useful to the AI to know that one or more players are working as a team (i.e. it could assess the threat of both players as a combined force rather than individually, and act accordingly).
On the other, your troops are fighting to ensure that you become the one true god. I can't really see them being willing to work alongside these other guys who keep telling them their God is a fraud, and they should worship this other guy...
Old July 4th, 2006, 08:57 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Archonsod said:
Quote:

I strongly dislike the "accidental battles". I should be able to jointly attack a province with an ally of mine without our armies fighting each other.

Surely that should be down to both players to organise, rather than the game? If you don't communicate with your allies, then that's whats going to happen.
(...)
On the other, your troops are fighting to ensure that you become the one true god. I can't really see them being willing to work alongside these other guys who keep telling them their God is a fraud, and they should worship this other guy...
Why wouldn't they work together at times? If a third-party pretender's ascension to godhoood is imminent, certainly your troops would be willing to cooperate with "the infidels" to prevent this. And I'm not sure that your armies are necessarily religious fanatics fighting to the death because of their belief in their "god" / pretender : if that was the case, you wouldn't have so many troops with ****ty morale who turn and run as soon as anyone gets nicked by an arrow.

It also ignores the possibility of pantheonic victories (in non-Dominions terms, the Greek gods fighting the Norse, or better yet, the Norse against the Giants). The ability to setup these kinds of a game is something people have long requested.
Old July 4th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think its thematic that I as Pangaea would need to coordinate my attacks with my ally Ermor so that the two armies dont attack each other. Even with an alliance I dont see putting them together into a big army.

2 humans vs 10 computers I do now.

What I meant by limiting is that we now have more options than any menu will likely give us. And I dont like game-enforced unbreakable alliances.

I dont know why recognition of a team win is important in a game like this. I dont tend to every take it to where the game recognizes the win anyway. In multiplayer game just outputting the scores.html will show you the win before the game would.

Pantheonic victories we already have even if the game doesnt recognize it.

I will admit that having the game messages output would be nice. But it would probably output it to the host server and the host can already get a ton of priveleged info from the log file.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 4th, 2006, 09:16 PM

Major

DominionsFan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
SafeKeeper said:
Quote:
How so? It works great in RTS games.

Look, I like unfixed teams, too, but I also like fixed alliances that cannot be broken.

I strongly dislike the "accidental battles". I should be able to jointly attack a province with an ally of mine without our armies fighting each other. They don't necessarily need to fight together, although it'd be nice if they somehow could (lining up next to each others or something), but having them be able to fight in the same province without tearing each others apart would be really, really nice.
There was an excellent old turn based strategy game, called Romance of the three kingdoms...in fact its a serie..There is RoTK XI..that is the latest afaik..but its only available in japanese/chinese languages..

Anyways in those games you can form an alliance with an AI player for example, and you can launch a joint attack on an enemy province. Im unsure that how the MP works in those games, because the last english version was RotK V. if Im correct and that game is many years old, there was no multiplayer in that part...maybe theres MP in the latest versions.

I always loved that feature, it would be a nice addition to Doms 3.

"Training is principally an act of faith. The athlete must believe in its efficacy: he must believe that through training he will become fitter and stronger, that by constant repetition of the same movements he will become more skillful."