.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old December 28th, 2008, 02:13 PM

Private

Rick L is on a distinguished road
Default Arena death match

Is there any advantage to competing in the arena death match? Besides the champion's trident, are there other rewards for winning?
Old December 28th, 2008, 02:28 PM

General

lch is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Arena death match

A truckload of experience.
Emergency comic relief
Old December 28th, 2008, 03:28 PM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Champion's Trident grants Quickness, and you get lots of experience for winning the match. In early game, the victory guarantees a heroic ability, and sometimes Quickness is worth losing both hand slots.

Most of the time, especially in competitive multiplayer, this isn't enough. There are many reasons for this.

1) The Trident isn't good.
Quickness gives twice as many actions per round, which also means twice the fatigue every round without doubling the reinvigorating effects of other equipment. Generally anything with encumberance over 0 will start suffering very quickly, which lowers both attack and defense directly and allows for armor-piercing hits and increases the chance of them occuring.

2) You need hand slots for other stuff
In addition, the champion can't use a shield (and thus can't get Fire Shield or Awe from Charcoal Shield and that Shield of Glittering Gold or whatever it was) or a weapon that affects an area (Fire Brand, Frost Brand, Shadow Brand and few others). Fire Shield and Awe are both excellent abilities against chaff, and AoE weapon might be enough to make quickness worth it if you can afford the other equipment you need.

3) Mages get nothing

4) The Arena is dangerous
Not only do you have to survive against everything else sent to the arena, but your opponents might decide to send guys equipped with items that disease (bane venom charm, rod of the leper king), curse (eye shield, knife of the damned) or cause afflictions to the user (eye of aiming) - and are picked up by the winner. I'm sure some guy in multiplayer has been really screwed over by "winning" the arena.

I made a mod (Mark of the Champion, see sig) that changes the prize like so:
- it only requires head slot
- the trident is a bonus weapon, like dancing trident or stone bird
- it grants a special helmet that also increases body protection by 5
(- it still grants quickness)

Even with these changes, several people thought it didn't do enough to improve the arena. There's a poll in the mod's thread, but it didn't get much attention.

P.S. Sorry for advertising my mod.

Last edited by Endoperez; December 28th, 2008 at 03:35 PM..
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Everything has its pros and cons.
It can be a nice boost if your champion has an Heroic Ability you would like improved, or the number of troops he can lead, or other experience factors. No matter where he is on the map he gets a free trip to the fight and a free trip back. He only loses one turn.
Of course, its also a gamble.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Note that if your emissary doesn't have hand slots, they can avoid the negatives of receiving the trident while still competing for the bonus experience. The Ophanim angels of Ashdod, for instance, are great for this (if a bit advanced.)

Another strategy is the kamikaze combatant. They probably won't win, but they might take out another player's hero (e.g. load up with medallions of vengeance, cursed items, disease causing ability, etc.) This is probably only feasible in the early game, as if anyone sends in combatants later on, they'll be high-end thug or SC caliber. Still pretty much a gamble.

Note that due to lack of participation, it can sometimes be worth sending in a mediocre combatant that would greatly benefit from increased experience; if the risk of losing them is not too great, the potential reward might be worth it. Who knows; you might win by default
Old December 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

Endo I'm thinking of using your idea of mark of the champion (probably slightly adjusted) in my dom 3000 mod. Actually I'm gonna look it up right now and put it in, refence to you in the mod. If you have objections plz send me a PM and I'll... well ehm do something similar but almost completely different
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old December 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM

Major

Micah is on a distinguished road

I think it's just a comment by the devs on the pointlessness of bloodsports.

And with that comment I must be off, gotta get back to conquering the world and banishing my opponents to the depths of Tartarus. =)