.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:32 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road
Default Re: On Hold

Quote:
Originally posted by Leif_-:
quote:
Originally posted by Arryn:
The DMCA is precisely why Zen pulled the plug, so it does bear.
Again, INAL, but I don't see how the DMCA enters into this situation. I doubt that extracting an image-file from a game can be considered to be circumventing anti-piracy protections.
I find the situation totally ridiculous : do you think Activision will file Zen because he used a MAP OF EUROPE image taken from MTW to make a free map for Dominions - a game that has maybe a couple thousands players - and advertised it on a small board, not much more popular than a suburb game shop ?
This has nothing to do with piracy, and bears no loss to the publisher either ...
Maybe they would fine him 3 bucks ?
C'mon, men, be serious, firms and lawyers have more lucrative occupations
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

Wauthan is on a distinguished road

It's unfortunate that Zen decided to erase his Posts in this thread. Good or bad, this thread is a lesson for other potential mapmakers in the future. Damn shame though, because I clearly see why he wanted to use this map. It's both very functional and good looking. But I can also understand the wish from the creators of the image.

What confuses me is where Zen got hold of such a highresolution image if it was not readily available for download? I didn't catch the origin of the piece and now it's gone.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:41 AM

Colonel

PDF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Wauthan:

What confuses me is where Zen got hold of such a highresolution image if it was not readily available for download? I didn't catch the origin of the piece and now it's gone.
He took the MTW campaign map : it is an high-res TGA (38 Mb or so) file that is installed with the game.
BTW the MTW VI expansion has a very nice British Isles campaign map also
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:52 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

Zen did not take the map from the game in question. As best I recall, it was sent to him by an un-named 3rd party. Then he modified it for Dom usage.

[ March 01, 2004, 12:53: Message edited by: Arryn ]
Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:57 AM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PDF:
I find the situation totally ridiculous : do you think Activision will file Zen because he used a MAP OF EUROPE image taken from MTW to make a free map for Dominions - a game that has maybe a couple thousands players - and advertised it on a small board, not much more popular than a suburb game shop ?
This has nothing to do with piracy, and bears no loss to the publisher either ...
Maybe they would fine him 3 bucks ?
C'mon, men, be serious, firms and lawyers have more lucrative occupations
No, I don't really believe it's likely that there would have been any legal repercussions over it - except perhaps a cease and desist notice (which doesn't really have any legal status as such). However, I'm more concerned about the principle of the thing than the possibility for punishment. I believe it's both right and in the long run better that we (the Dominions community) try to keep our path clean, and this was a case that would have been a clear copyright violation.

No, the outline and geography of Europe is of course not under copyright, but this was a particular artistic reendition of it, which is.

Remember, copyright law is what protects Illwinter and Shrapnel Games and keeps them in buisness, as well as any artistic endeavours you or I might decide to pursue. I think it behooves us to respect the copyright of others the way we want our own copyright to be respected.
Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:39 AM

My ISP has been down since this morning and I have only just barely had the time at work to be able to look at the Boards. I didn't want any sort of contraversy.

The reason I deleted my Posts was not out of fear of copyright laws, illegal use of other's intellectual property or anything of that nature (for any reason). But because I feel the respect due to people's work should be dealt with in the proper fashion.

The Case: If I feel my work is important enough to warrant a Copyright I feel it is important enough to deserve the reservation and credit due.

I respect that case and support it wholeheartedly, even if it isn't particularly large or for non-profit or anything of that nature. I respect the author of the M:TW map and his effort and time he put into whatever portion I used to create my map.

In order for me to appropriately show that respect, I will wait for any reservations or provisions that they may or may not have. The first Email I recieved from M:TW (Before the map was completed) was ambigious and seemed sort of little importance to them, though they did not specifically give me permission to use or edit their map.

I sent a more direct Email detailing everything about what I have done and other issues. But as I said, my email is down, so I have no way of knowing if they have responded.

If in the end; they do not wish to have their map used (and credited to them, even a little free publicity) as a fan-based, non-profit map for a competitor's game, then I will respect their wishes.

If they do, I'll authorize the reposting of the map and give the appropriate amount of credits in the appropriate fashion to do so.

I actually thought of this all before I finished the map; but due to the feedback I rethought it and wanted a more clear answer from those who own the intellectual rights, so that proper respect is given.