The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: Starfury

Old October 10th, 2003, 10:07 PM

Sergeant

ColdSteel is on a distinguished road
Default Re: StarFury CD check is screwed up!!

Well, you can't, really. You can remap it down to something starfury will read, but then any other app you installed will be expecting the drive letter to still be Z:. You would also have to have installed it on a lower drive letter then remap back and forth to Z: whenever you wanted to play. In short, a real pain.

Also, some applications like PartitionMagic come with a utility that allows you to move installed applications between drives by remapping the drive info in the Windows registry. That's a possibility I guess but it seems kind of extreme. For me, better to be patient.

Aaron sent me an email asking for my drive letter and saying he was working on a workaround. I'm going to wait for that.

-ColdSteel
Old October 10th, 2003, 10:56 PM

Sergeant

I went ahead and reported the "up to J:" CD drive letter issue we discovered to Aaron.

-ColdSteel
Old October 11th, 2003, 01:31 AM

Sergeant

Just to update on my situation:

I got a very nice email from Shrapnel this morning saying that my replacement CD is on the way. They really are an excellent publisher/company and none of my frustration over any of this was intended to indicate anything otherwise. I can only wish that the Ataris of the world were more like Shrapnel. They're super. This is what builds customer loyalty.

I decided to try to load Starfury on my old P3 450 rig just to see if it would run on there by some chance. I got the same identical problem there I have on my new rig. I'm hoping like mad that this means it's just a bad CD.

What worries me though is that I can see no defect at all on the disk. No scratches or anything, even when looking at it with a powerful magnifying glass it looks perfect (though I did notice a kind of faint wavy watermark pattern like an amoeba around the center of the disk). And it did install fine without hanging at all on any of the files. I can browse all the files on the disk with an editor without hanging. Very, very weird. At least I'm not the only one having problems, it appears.

What I'm still afraid of is that this may not just be something as simple as a scratched CD. Maybe something in the creation process?

Well, I should hopefully know for sure when the replacement gets here next Tuesday at the earliest (no US mail delivery on Monday, just my luck).

In any case, I'm not unhappy with the game or with Shrapnel or MM. I've just been frustrated by my pure, dumb, bad luck.

-ColdSteel
Old October 11th, 2003, 01:49 AM

Major

Tim Brooks is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys:

A customer just sent Support a response to this problem that works for him. He was in 800x600 res, and the problem was related to the game switching to a higher res. He changed his resolution to 1024x768 and vialoa, no problems.

You may want to try this, before we send cd's 'cause if that is the problem the new cd won't work either. It seems to be a video card problem, not a cd problem.

If you can try it this morning let us know. If we don't hear from you by 11:00 am, your cd is on the way...

[ October 10, 2003, 12:50: Message edited by: Tim Brooks ]
Old October 11th, 2003, 02:58 AM

Major

Instar is on a distinguished road

Some CD drives out there just have problems. Finding driver upgrades is hard enough to do (my plextor had an update buried on their page). Its just random (bad) luck. Usually, these problems can be redeemed though.
Shrapnel is nothing but good customer service. Why can't the other publishers out there follow the trail blazing example set here? I mean, look, Shrapnel is sending FREE replacement disks!
When a cat is dropped, it always lands on its feet, and when toast is dropped, it always lands with the buttered side facing down. I propose to strap buttered toast to the back of a cat. The two will hover, spinning inches above the ground. With a giant buttered cat array, a high-speed monorail could easily link New York with Chicago.