.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old July 27th, 2008, 07:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Poke in the Eye map

It uses the eye.tga that came with the game. The "Desert Eye" map. Hence Poke in the Eye. It was a holdout from Dom2.

I keep meaning to do a fully worked map of my own and generate daily .map files in different formats for it. But if I did then it would probably be a 1500 province map.

I can also provide the code that generates it if you are interested.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 27th, 2008, 07:50 PM

National Security Advisor

llamabeast will become famous soon enoughllamabeast will become famous soon enough

Ah, I see. Sorry. I'm just trying to catalogue maps at the moment, so I'm skating through lots of threads quickly.
A compilation of high quality mod nations: Expanded Nations Packs
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

OK. Mine are mostly covered on my downloads page.
http://www.dom3minions.com/downloads.htm
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 28th, 2008, 01:49 AM

Captain

Bwaha is an unknown quantity at this point

Great map. Ranks up there with World of Warcraft. Been playing Pion all afternoon. Some problems though, the magic sites that are underwater don't match up. Try an underwater race and you will see what I mean...

He who laughs last didn't get the joke.
Saber

Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Socrates used to say, the best form of government was that in which the people obeyed their rulers, and the rulers obeyed the laws.
Old July 28th, 2008, 12:33 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thats the only problem you find?

The program that generates it each day is totally random. The units dont match the terrain, the nations, or even each other. The sites dont match anything. And the allies dont make sense. Thats why I refer to them as Chaos maps.

The only thing MORE chaotic that I have found was a project I kicked off that Leif did where a program created a MOD which made random changes in every unit of the game. Random changes in armor, or hit points, or morale, etc etc.

Something abit LESS chaotic is a project I kicked off that Ballbarian did called SemiRandom. It allows players to create logical provinces and add them to a library which will randomly pick and place them onto maps. Such as a combination of province name, population type, magic sites, commanders, commander names, equipment, bodyguards, units that fit a single theme. For water maybe a province called "going to Knight School" with the "Shark Lords" magic site or "Shrine of the Shark Lords" (allows recruiting Shark Knights along with some gem income) or the "Tower of Pearls" (all that and Hydromancer). Of course logically then it would be guarded by Shark Knights and their schools of Sharks and Small Sharks. And maybe a Kelp Fortress.
Old July 28th, 2008, 04:24 PM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

Hey Gandalf, I just want to let you know that I am a HUGE fan of Semirandom. I never play an SP game without it. I ran into DrPraetorious' "Dread City of Darkness" the other day and it took 30 turns of work to bring that province down, the most fun I've had in ages! (Maxed out assassins was the only way to do it, and not easy that either due to the bane bodyguards, and by the time the commanders were attrited, there were something like 500 demons there!)

I was processing a turn as I was writing this and just had a major army utterly decimated by the "Egg of Coot" in "Blackmoor Town". At this instant I have no idea how I am going to take down this fortress!

To anyone who has not tried the SemiRandom program for single player games, I heartily recommend it.
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Cool.
Have you created a province for it yet?
Come on, there has to be some magic site or unit that has sparked an idea.

It doesnt have to be as hard-to-kill as the ones you mention. We need some variety in it or it wont serve its purpose.
Old July 28th, 2008, 09:25 PM

Corporal

Panpiper is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gandalf Parker said:
Have you created a province for it yet?
I have given it a little bit of thought, unfortunately my mind keeps turning to ultra powerful provinces. I really should spend a few hours one day seeing if there aren't some 'cute' ideas, maybe something that will make a player notice they passed through.

That is the problem with the less than powerful provinces I find with SemiRandom. When playing SP and marauding about the map with an uber army, I often do not notice the effect of the SemiRandom provinces other than occasionally getting a magic item. It's the ones that stop me cold, that give me a fight, that I notice and that I most like.

Maybe a configuration setting could be included with SemiRandom that gives the player a choice as to the average power levels of the provinces when they are generating the map file. This way me providing a half dozen powerhouse provinces would not upset the current ratio (not that a half dozen is really that significant).

(Actually I just now made some notes for a not quite 'power house' province that a player would definitely notice if they stumbled through it.)
Old July 28th, 2008, 10:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

If you search for semirand there are a number of threads where people gave ideas, but the ideas were never written up fully and included in the program.

If we could get every one of the people on these forums to do ONE province we would be setup sweet.
Old May 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Default Re: Poke in the Eye

Just to let people know that I have not forsaken my chaos games. This map is still modified daily. Each download is good for a number of games before you start knowing where things are going to crop up. Then you can just download the next days version for a completely new experience.
WARNING: NOT FOR NEW PLAYERS

Anyway I do have some updates I will be adding to this soon.