.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > SprueGames > Salvo!

Old October 15th, 2005, 03:17 PM

Private

Loops is on a distinguished road
Default Demo bug - invalid action marker

I've been having a lot of fun with the demo, but I just ran into a significant issue with an invalid action marker showing up, which on reflection I think I may have seen affecting computer shots too.

The attached screenshots pretty much tell the story:
- my Trehourt is distance 11 from the Wellesley, and has its port broadside facing
- the game gives me a distance "1" action marker on the Wellesley, which when clicked fires the Trehourt's starboard broadside
- curiously, the action marker remains and can be clicked again and again to fire 0 gun broadsides (incidentally, this is how I came by the screenshots - I didn't stop to think about it the first time around)
- I am confident the first shot when the guns were loaded actually did do range 1 damage (notice the missing mast?), which makes it a pretty powerful effect when it occurs.

- Loops
Attached Files
File Type: zip 387794-badactionmarker.zip (410.8 KB, 861 views)
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:47 PM

Private

Default Re: Demo bug - invalid action marker

For what it's worth, the bug is fairly easy to reproduce - it seems to be solely dependent on the geometry of the ships. Specifically, distance 11 with the enemy ship at the extreme edge of the firing arc will cause it. This would be fairly exploitable in MP, so I hope it's addressed eventually.

- Loops
Old October 16th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Private

Default Demo bug - missing crew

Ran into a separate issue with crew added to a ship of mine between scenarios in the campaign not showing up for assignment. As the screenshot shows, the available crew in the top display exceeds the total amount in the assignment panel. I don't think there can be valid reason for this. The total in the assignment panel is stuck at the same amount from the end of the previous scenario.

I'm thinking that the fact that this ship struck its colors in the previous scenario but was never captured may have contributed to this problem, since adding crew has worked fine for me in many other situations.

- Loops
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 388040-ss_crewunavailable.JPG (104.6 KB, 765 views)
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Second Lieutenant

Andrew Lonon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Demo bug - missing crew

Loops:

Excellent Reporting, and even better timing! I have just about everything ‘in place’ for the update (still some work to do, but looking good) and its time for major bug fixes. I want to role as many fixes into the update as possable so they get fully tested in the rigmarole. So – here are the open issues that I will be fixing from this thread, restated to make sure I understand the situation:

1) Distance 11 is Represented as Distance ‘1’ but, the firing double-check disqualifies the shot as too far, allowing the whole process can be repeated, luckily with no loaded guns. But the double-check does not catch the original shot – so the ship does range 1 damage. Nice: ‘Good one Andrew.’

2) Crew on struck but not captured friendly ships after Campaign Advance.

Thanks again for your effort & keep playing Salvo!

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - Ratty
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:35 AM

Private

Default Re: Demo bugs

That looks great Andrew - thanks for your response. I spend my days developing software (albeit of a much less entertaining variety), so I'm fully sympathetic to the myriad ways issues can sneak in.

I've played the demo through and through, and I'm now anxiously awaiting delivery the full game. The level of effort you are still putting into the game and the support you have provided through this forum were major deciding factors for me.

- Loops
Old November 4th, 2005, 02:01 AM

Private

Following up on (2) - the crew issue - I just had it happen to me again, this time on a non-struck friendly and a struck/uncaptured friendly at the same time. However, I have now figured out a work-around: if you dump all the crew into idle and switch on Auto allocation, then the AI will assign out all the crew you should have a couple rounds later. Oh, and I'm now using the full release, so it's not just a demo issue.

I'm wondering if the problem isn't more User-allocation related, which I always have set on all my ships. I can't stand how Auto allocation prefers full gun crews over adequate sailing - changing speed or tacking when you need to is a heck of a lot more important than making sure every gun in broadside fires IMHO.

- Loops
Old November 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Colonel

Strider is on a distinguished road

Loops,
Would you be interested in beta testing, now that you have the full version?
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:17 PM

Private

Strider -

Sure, count me interested, although I don't really know what is involved.

- Loops