.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old January 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Corporal

1000yd_stare is on a distinguished road
Default Counter to darkness spell?

I was wondering if there was a counter somewhere to the Darkness spell (if unit has no darkvision, att/def reduced to zero).

I had looked at Solar Brillance, but it doesnt explicitly say anything about the effects of the light beyond the blindness, which I would rather not receive anyway.

I am facing MA Ermor with MA Mictlan (F9D6B6 bless strat) and lost 700 odd Jaguar Warriors to a combo of Darkness and Rigor Mortis.
Old January 8th, 2007, 07:19 PM

Corporal

Default Re: Counter to darkness spell?

59 views and no response?

I would at least expected someone from Sweden or Finland to make a snide comment about the sun not setting or something...
Old January 8th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Major

Wish is on a distinguished road

I guess no one is aware of one.
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:38 PM

First Lieutenant

FAJ is on a distinguished road

no way to stop it. Diversify your army. if you use 700 of any one thing, the enemy is going to be able to counter it. Get some blood summons that are undead.
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I think that darkness and light being used in this way is territory thats still being worked out.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old January 8th, 2007, 11:35 PM

Corporal

MA Mictlan is the GOOD Mictlan, no blood mages, except for heroes. So, my income of slaves is tiny, only about 10 a turn.

Likewise, Death is a bit hard to come by, I was hoping to capitalize on the nature and astral. Hmmm....
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:29 AM

General

NTJedi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1000yd_stare said:
59 views and no response?

I would at least expected someone from Sweden or Finland to make a snide comment about the sun not setting or something...
Give at least 24 hours before wondering why there's no response... there's lots of people on the forum which only lurk and read.

Seek your answers in spells which target the whole battlefield.
Turn up the heat, lightning or poison on the entire battlefield.
OR
Use spells which target the units and commanders in the province such as ghost riders, flames from the sky, or seeking arrow.
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:09 AM

Wendigo_reloaded

Solar Brillance blinds everybody & addtionally blasts undead, check the manual for the specific details. You can forge the forbidden light for the same effect, but it's not going to win you the battle on its own.

ME Ermor mages are phisically weak, so magic assasination & BF wide spells as others have mentioned might work. Killing the caster does the job, but so does killing the communicants before Darkness is cast.

For combat while the bf magic does its job: use SCs fitted out with high protection (because of the penalty to defense) & aura/shield damage: fire shield/charcoal works best vs undead, cold/poison fumes might also (most undead are immune to this, but not vestals IIRC).
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

mivayan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
1000yd_stare said:
I was wondering if there was a counter somewhere to the Darkness spell (if unit has no darkvision, att/def reduced to zero).
Do you mean reduced to half? Only the blindness affliction should reduce to zero.

Quote:
I had looked at Solar Brillance, but it doesnt explicitly say anything about the effects of the light beyond the blindness, which I would rather not receive anyway.
Right, doesn't affect darkness. Just an easy MR save to avoid blindness for 50% of all units, and also an easy save to 50% of all undead/demons to avoid 5 AP damage. This might be *really* fun if your opponent has 437 shadow vestals and you have just a mage with some +penetration items and enough body guards to live 2-3 rounds.

Quote:
I am facing MA Ermor with MA Mictlan (F9D6B6 bless strat) and lost 700 odd Jaguar Warriors to a combo of Darkness and Rigor Mortis.
Ouchy. Nasty spell combination. Relief might help slightly against the rigor mortis, but it wont stop it.
Old January 9th, 2007, 03:24 PM

National Security Advisor

PvK is on a distinguished road

Astral gives Mind Burn and Soul Slay, which don't require light and will bypass the mindless undead and force him to deploy other units to soak those spells, or else get his casters quickly wiped out.