.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

View Poll Results: ANONYMOUS POLL - Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?
Yes - Fair's fair, the board can't forbid a user AND profit from their past contributions. 15 37.50%
No - These mods & maps actually belong to Schrapnel Games, not the authors. 17 42.50%
Abstain - I don't want to be banned form the boards for choosing the wrong answer. 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11th, 2010, 03:39 AM

Captain

cleveland is on a distinguished road
Default Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?

Hi All,

Sorry for my naivete, but I haven't been around for a while. I just learned of the Great Schism, where many of the oldtimers I liked & respected were banned from this forum, only to be sentenced to a different boring forum.

So I'd like to take a modest straw poll.

Premise: Given that the purpose of this board is to be a sales tool, should banned user original contributions be deleted from the boards? It only seems fair that if I ban a contributor from the board, I should not benefit from their past contributions, no?

Very curious to hear the community's opinion...

Last edited by cleveland; December 11th, 2010 at 03:49 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveland For This Useful Post:
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:11 AM

Sergeant

Knai is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?

I voted no. The board is a sales tool, yes, but its also a community. If the mods remove a user, contributions and all, then its just massive collateral damage against the community as a whole. We don't need that by any means. Treating the board as a single entity justifies the fairness well enough, but that isn't accurate by any means.
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM

Corporal

DeadlyShoe is on a distinguished road

Removing content threads from banned users does nothing except make that content harder to find for new players, which does noone any good.

Poll is too passive aggressive by half. Didn't vote.
Old December 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM

Major

Fantomen is on a distinguished road

IMO it should be up to the creator. If Sombre etc. wants the content removed then it should be, if not then it should not. Very simple.

The best would be to delete the content but keep the threads and replace the OP with links to the relevant threads on the new forum, that way everyone gets access to the latest updates.
Old December 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im not sure who it is you are referring to as doing the deleting. Are you asking if the owners should? Or if Shrapnel should?

I think this was semi-decided back when in 2004 when another banned person went thru and deleted as many of his own programs and posts as he could find. Thats when the 30-minute edit window was reinstated, and the backups of uploaded items. The poster no longer gets those choices. Anything put on a companys server is considered to be their property.

BUT on the other hand, the users argued that the FIRST post of every thread should continue to be able to be edited. We won that back. Since most threads about mods and maps use the first post to store the link, they can be edited to point somewhere else. Anything that has been uploaded to the forum will still be there but the link would be broken. Whether or not they SHOULD be Id say no. It should be up to the author to decide, not anyone else.

By the way, the comment of "only to be sentenced to a different boring forum" seems strange. I got the impression they had happily created that forum to prove the premise that a forum without strict moderation could be vibrant and active. I understand that there are some very entertaining threads there.

Last edited by Gandalf Parker; December 11th, 2010 at 10:01 AM..
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:15 AM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road
Shock Re: Should banned user mods/maps/etc be deleted from these boards?

They were actually BANNED here? Someone point me to the thread?

What the hey-ho could cause this? It should indeed be up to the author of the content. If it isn't that's somewhere between lame and theft.
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:45 AM

First Lieutenant

13lackGu4rd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabelais View Post
What the hey-ho could cause this? It should indeed be up to the author of the content. If it isn't that's somewhere between lame and theft.
well, it would have been theft is it wasn't for all the legal mumbo jumbo everyone has to agree on before creating an account. this legal mumbo jumbo basically means the company can do whatever they want with anything that appears on their forums, as well as many other boring things that nobody actually cares to read.

companies hire lawyers for a reason, to cover their asses in various situations. the customer, who generally isn't a lawyer by training, doesn't really have a clue about all those things he must agree on in order to create an account on the forums, and to play the actual game too while we're at it. so they put up various clauses that let them get away with anything they'll ever want by sneaking it in with all the other legalese.

so, to be honest, the community's opinion in this matter doesn't matter at all. the law is very clear, and by playing this game and having accounts here, we've all agreed to these terms, whether we like(or even know) about them or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to 13lackGu4rd For This Useful Post:
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:51 AM

BANNED USER

Calahan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
It should be up to the author to decide, not anyone else.
But (if my understanding on forum workings is correct) part of this argument/problem then though is the situation that arises when banned members can not access their threads/first posts in order to decided whether or not their work should be available to others.

As in that case it is not the author who is deciding whether or not his/her content is available to others (as you and many others say it should be), but instead it is those who are preventing the author from accessing the threads that author created that are deciding the matter. (unless banned members/authors will have any requests they make honoured with regards content they created that they now wish to be made unavailable/removed)
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:12 AM

General

thejeff is on a distinguished road

Isn't this point largely moot? Have any of the banned mod authors requested their work be removed? I don't recall seeing complaints about that on the other forum.

There are games advertised on both forums. Most of the mods are available on llamaserver anyway.

The forums are a sales tool, but they are free. Game sales are where the revenue comes from. If the banned users actually wanted to hurt Shrapnel, then continuing to make mods to improve the game seems counter-productive, whether those mods appear on these forums or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to thejeff For This Useful Post:
Old December 11th, 2010, 12:48 PM

Sergeant

Warhammer is on a distinguished road

Most company forums have a disclaimer when you sign up that any uploaded content becomes property of the company.

What is the point of the OP posting this anyway? This is a fairly inflammatory post, why bother unless you're just trying to stir the pot.