.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old October 18th, 2008, 01:02 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Big Map mid size force

This is more a question than an AAR prompted by a mid sized force on a large map. Jordan vs Israel 1966 meeting, took what computer offered hilly terrain with visibility of 24 & the computer nearly gave me a fright.
Sent 2 of 3 infantry companies out to probe with 1 back & 2 tank comp trailing as reaction force. One force gets a minor contact the other tanks & a few halftracks then more tanks appear. Go to bail them out sharpish & the AI is on form does a great job with arty as it can do sometimes. This is actually quite a hard fight & about 3 turns in a scout well towards the other side spots a couple of halftracks. This turns out to be a platoon or 2 of tanks & 2 companies of Halftracks totally ignoring vic hexes & running for my rear, Ah thats why I am fighting a mainly tank force.
AI must have delayed their jump from the start line & created one of the best battles I have played against it. It had the initative for most of the game with me reacting to it & just managing to save my arty park, fun.

So the question
With a mech force do you prefer to play on a dense map (high unit count to real estate) or an open map (the reverse) as above?

Certainly against the AI I think the second gives a better generated battle & you get less Kamakazie runs where it sends one unit after another, no roads seems to help also.
In fact if you play as you would another player so attack don't sit & wait for the inevitable rush it can sometimes throw up a good challenge if you take the inferior force.
In the main battle it even tried sending a flanking force round some woods which bumped into mine doing the same, raised a smile as caught me moving flat out.
Old October 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Sergeant

hoplitis is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Big Map mid size force

I tend to prefer larger maps (lower unit density). It gives me more room to manouver, if on the attack, and more options (or problems ) on the defense.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 12:59 PM

Sergeant

Lt. Ketch is on a distinguished road

I've found that being having a small amount of room hinders mech inf with transport. You're more likely to run into somebody that will blow you off your transport by suprise and consequently result in higher causalties. My experience has been to hike infantry if there is little space, that way you can keep an eye out, not run the risk of being caught cramped in a singel truck or HT that make great targets for tanks, morters, Artillary etc. and you can spend the points on something else (more infantry, artilary, flame throwers for those stupid trees or buildings). Now I would add that transport is very, very nice for your reserve force, which may need to get somewhere very very quickly to keep a line from buckleing, but you don't anticipate getting ambused in territory your tanks have just gone through.

Howard Tayer
Old October 25th, 2008, 01:58 PM

Private

TreadHead is on a distinguished road

Generally I prefer the ratio in favor of more real estate. Both to permit maneuver, and because I tend to focus on Russian Front battles and dealing with the challenge of not having enough of a Kampfgruppe to put up a solid front in the face of an onslaught. Recon and well-timed commitment of a mobile reserve are key.

Ross