.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 26th, 2004, 08:32 PM

Private

Tex Pete is on a distinguished road
Default Windows loader for linux Version?

I've been wondering. Since I've been hearing that alot of these bugs have been caused by the microsoft compiler, that would mean they are only in the windows Version right? If this is true, then perhaps it would be worthwhile to investigate if it would be efficent to make a single purpose emulator to enable to linux Version to run in windows? I know that it has been done before for other programs, a free example is the program ADOM-SAGE for the freeware roguelike game ADOM. It works VERY well and is actually faster than the windows Version.

Pete
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:46 PM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows loader for linux Version?

It's not that the Windows Version is bugged, it's just that the battle replays are not compatible across OSes. Basically, the outcome of battles is computed during the hosting, and the .trn files contain only enough information to "recompute" the battle. The problem is that the various compilers don't compile the program exactly the same, so the same included information results in different battle replays. Both replays were equally likely before the battle, so it's not that one is "good" or "bad"; it's just that what you see isn't what happened in your game.

Gotta go; I must switch to Windows to see what really happened in one of my PBEM games...
Old February 26th, 2004, 09:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows loader for linux Version?

The problem only happens at times such as if I am using Linux to host a game and people are using Windows to do their turns.

Very few games have this problem come up. There are games that will run on Windows, Mac, and Linux. But there are few that need Linux to randomly decide something (the result of a battle) and have Windows randomly follow the same thinking (in order to play back the battle).

I just say that what is on the map, what the host decided and sent to everyone, thats reality. The playback was different because of cowardly messengers reporting to me.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)