.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old February 24th, 2004, 08:06 AM

First Lieutenant

PhilD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: JAVA programmer? (and Win-DomMap, and some GIMP)

Quote:
Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
PhilD is managing the source code now. The Last batch of changes were his. He has pretty much gotten it to create maps which will work for Dom2. His Version is Linux only and there are people who would love to get just a working Windows compile made available.
More specifically: I'd say the program is pretty much standard C. Not really my problem if people cannot get it to compile on their system

(more truthfully: I don't know what it would take to get it to compile on non-linux machines; it's most likely very little)

Quote:

Id also be interested in whether the C code actually generates a more extensive fractal map then "dumbs it down" to the old Dom1 map format. Such as... does it squeeze everything between height 100-150 into the green tree color because the old Dom1 limited the map to a total of 16 colors? Letting it assign each level to a slight color change could result in a great map.
Yes, it actually generates two full fractal maps (one for altitude, one for "richness"), then sorts it into a few color categories to only include a few colors in the output.

I can easily change it so it outputs more or less the whole range (of one map), or something like that: it's a very minor change. Or to output the province borders and capitals to a different .tga file, if you want to do some automated image treatment. Not that big a deal (will use more memory, though).
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:42 AM

Major General

Arryn is on a distinguished road

I've already mentioned to Gandalf that I'll be looking at porting it to Windows later this week. I grabbed the code earlier tonight. The compiler I'll be using, BTW, is MSVC++ 6.0 Pro.

In case anyone's curious, I'm not a newbie C++ programmer. I cut my teeth in C/C++ on AT&T UNIX systems back in '88. Used Borland compilers (I was one of their beta testers) from '90-'97, and have used MS stuff since then (have to for my employers).

EDIT: oh, and in regards to the thread's title, I also program in Java.

[ February 24, 2004, 06:47: Message edited by: Arryn ]
Old February 24th, 2004, 08:58 AM

I eat toast.

Just in case that is a requirement.
Old February 24th, 2004, 05:20 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Its a race. So far I think 3 people have offered to take a stab at a Windows compile.

PhilD: do you want to host the Win Version also. Im thinking its basically your puppy for control purposes. Or at least you get first shot at it if you want it.

On the other notes, YES those would be great.
Doing the 2 tga might make the blur project work.

And Id love to see what we get if each level/richness variation is given a slightly different color. The blur project might not be needed at all. With some tweaking we might get it to smoothly transition appropiately. Maybe even knock the GIMP project out of the running if we can get it close to this....
http://www.techno-mage.com/~dominion...s/rendered.jpg
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 24th, 2004, 06:39 PM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
More specifically: I'd say the program is pretty much standard C. Not really my problem if people cannot get it to compile on their system
It was pretty much this that was a problem, otherwise it went fine: http://www.meangene.com/notes/putc.html
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Sergeant

Leif_- is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But the EASIEST thing Ive found is a blur.
You might want to look at adding a bump-map to that as well. (To do that manually in Gimp copy the original map to a new layer, and create an additional empty layer. Fill the empty layer with plasma (Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Plasma), then select the copy of the map, blur it and choose Filter -> Map -> Bump Map and use the plasma layer as the bump map.)

Next, select by colour to select the borders and capital-dots on the original map and cut these parts away from the copy. Delete the plasma map.)
Old February 24th, 2004, 07:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Leif_-:
quote:
But the EASIEST thing Ive found is a blur.
You might want to look at adding a bump-map to that as well. (To do that manually in Gimp copy the original map to a new layer, and create an additional empty layer. Fill the empty layer with plasma (Filter -> Render -> Clouds -> Plasma), then select the copy of the map, blur it and choose Filter -> Map -> Bump Map and use the plasma layer as the bump map.)

Next, select by colour to select the borders and capital-dots on the original map and cut these parts away from the copy. Delete the plasma map.)

WOw I didnt follow that at all. There are some GIMP threads here that you might want to look at. Click on "search" in the upper right of this forum. I think GIMP in the titles of the threads will get you a short list.

I have a few steps that will do it in GIMP quite nicely. And one of the people here even made a scheme script-fu of it for me. But I still havent gotten it to work in a batch mode which is what Im really wanting.

If anyone is REALLY into GIMP Id rather see someone tackle the map generators that are in gimp already.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:04 PM

First Lieutenant

[quote]Originally posted by Gandalf Parker:
Its a race. So far I think 3 people have offered to take a stab at a Windows compile.

PhilD: do you want to host the Win Version also. Im thinking its basically your puppy for control purposes. Or at least you get first shot at it if you want it.

I'd rather not have executables on my "site", though I'll gladly link to them. If I understand Leif's comment, it's a very minor change I need to make so it becomes Windows-compatible (provided one knows how to compile).

Actually, there are a few tweaks I'd like to try, and minor features I'd like to add, if I can find the time (who am I kidding? I'm on vacation this week, so I have to choose between PLAYING this game and PROGRAMMING this stupid generator...)

Quote:

On the other notes, YES those would be great.
Doing the 2 tga might make the blur project work.

And Id love to see what we get if each level/richness variation is given a slightly different color. The blur project might not be needed at all. With some tweaking we might get it to smoothly transition appropiately. Maybe even knock the GIMP project out of the running if we can get it close to this....
Most likely, GIMPing the whole thing would be much simpler if somebody knows how to do it, but... I'll add my changes.

(and the picture you linked is nice, but hard on the eyes - it looks like my brand-new 19" LCD monitor is all blurry... )
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:04 PM

First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally posted by Leif_-:
quote:
Originally posted by PhilD:
It was pretty much this that was a problem, otherwise it went fine: http://www.meangene.com/notes/putc.html
You mean I only have to change the fopen() calls and it will work on Windows?
Old February 24th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Second Lieutenant

E. Albright is on a distinguished road

Well, as Leif_- stated, it didn't seem too hard to get compiled. There were a few quirks, but nothing drastic. It seems like it's working fine, but then I've no .tga viewer on this machine, so I'm taking on faith that it functions properly. Anyway, if anyone wants to grab it, it is for the moment at:

http://gozips.uakron.edu/~emil/dommap.zip

A sample output is at:

http://gozips.uakron.edu/~emil/dommap.zip

The program is of course provided as-is, no guarentees, use at your own risk, blah, blah, blah. If it's not working, let me know, and I'll try to fix it (within my capabilities). And I'd appreciate if, should it prove to be correct and of use, for someone to find it a more permanent home than where it currently resides...