.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM

Private

Corporal Kindel is on a distinguished road
Default Out of memory: too many Mymallocs

Hello:

trying to enable my new mod, and I got the error listed in title. I also tried downloading a new endgame mod from one of the users & got the same error. I got same error trying to enable each separately and both together.

I cannot seem to enable new mods by enabling them through setting preferences pre-game (enable mods). What do I need to do to fix this problem?

p.s. I could not find any references to this problem using the thread search tool, there were no matches.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Out of memory: too many Mymallocs

What OS? Windows? Mac? Linux? and which version thereof.
Usually Id guess Windows since they most commonly dont say. But mymalloc makes me think Linux.
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM

Corporal

kennydicke is on a distinguished road

Mallocs and mymallocs are subroutines used in C/C++ language. They affect memory allocation.

I had the same problem several months back on my XP machine. Maybe you have too many mods enabled or in your folder.
Old March 11th, 2010, 11:42 PM

Private

Thanks for the replies guys. As far as my system, I'm using windows XP home edition version 2002 with service pack 3 with 3GB ram. Dom version 3.23b. I'm copying and pasting the heading part of my Mod extension below in case there's any noticeable errors. Since this is my very first mod, I'm thinking I more than likely made some mod (coding) errors.

I have thousands more names after Archibald, I just cut it off at that point, but its all just like that from there on (each letter ends with an #end then new letter starts, eventually getting to next nation & wash/repeat). I wouldn't think the length of text file, or number of names would be bogging down the game memory since they're just text names and not tga images (which would load down the memory a whole lot more I'd think) ?? I mean I'd think one would be able to add 100,000 new names for example and not bog down the memory. But, maybe I'm wrong, or maybe there's some other problem that I'm missing? (After all, the names are only getting used when a leader is created, so technically I'd think it wouldn't cause a memory problem any more than the standard name-generating mechanism?)

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

By the way, I only added the diversity mod. It's the only other mod I've tried to activate. I created an extra tga image file for my mod and just added it to the diversity folder instead of creating a completely new folder.

################################################## ##############################
## Mod Overview and Description
################################################## ##############################
#modname "MoreNames Dom 3"
#version 3.06
#domversion 3.23b
#icon "diversity/CplK_name_m.tga"

#description "400 more names for each of 46 nations, 1050 more names for each of
the following 4 nametypes: 100 (misc male), 119 (misc female), 127
(custom male), 128 (custom female). That's 22,600 new names, so no
name should ever get duplicated on large map games ever again !!!!

Basic name generating mechanism as described by a shrapnel forumite:
The mechanic is simple. All units take their name from one of the
lists upon creation. That's it. That's why there appears so many du-
plicate names in large games since the name is just randomaly taken
from the list with no regard for the names previously created. Units
never change name lists, not for any reason. If you were playing Ma-
verni only your national commanders were getting Maverni names,
indpendent commander got indy names.

Pretender names (not sure what nametype list they're coming from):
Tehom, Mordeith, Sikyon, Rellandela,

Creator: Corporal Kindel

Version 3.06 updated 9/4/09"

## Names, Names, Names, and more Names !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

## Whole slew of new custom names so no-one will ever get duplicated!!!

#selectnametype 100
-- 100 misc male (119, 127, 128)
-- A 50
#addname "Acid Brain"
#addname "Acid Head"
#addname "Acne Face"
#addname "Allen Thimble"
#addname "Allen"
#addname "Al"
#addname "Arnold"
#addname "Arnie"
#addname "Alfridge"
#addname "Alfie"
#addname "Art"
#addname "Abe"
#addname "Abner"
#addname "Adam"
#addname "Aidan"
#addname "Albert jr."
#addname "Al jr."
#addname "Alec"
#addname "Alex"
#addname "Alf"
#addname "Alfiel"
#addname "Alfonso"
#addname "Alton"
#addname "Amos"
#addname "Andy"
#addname "Andrew"
#addname "Anthony"
#addname "Archie"
#addname "Archibald"
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:12 AM

Private

Adding to my previous comment; my mod is basically of the form:

#selectnametype 100
#addname "bunch of names A to Z"
#end

#selectnametype 101
#end

#selectnametype 150
#end

This is the correct format, right?
Old March 12th, 2010, 01:33 AM

Corporal

kennydicke is on a distinguished road

Not sure. I don't remember why I got the error or how I fixed it. I would suggest downloading a third mod, and trying to load it without alteration. If it works, then you at least know the problem is within the two you already have. I know the late-game diversity mod works fine on my machine.

Another method would be to split your mod into several smaller mods, this helps in locating exactly where the error is. At least, that's how I was taught to find errors in programming.

I don't know that there is a limit to the number of mods you can have, but it does stand to reason. The same goes with text entries in a mod.

I don't see anything in your header that would cause a problem, but I'm relatively inexperienced. Try examining a popular mod for ideas.

You have the format down - is your intention to add names, or replace them?
Old March 12th, 2010, 05:52 AM

Colonel

Burnsaber is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal Kindel View Post

#version 3.06
#domversion 3.23b

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure, but I think that filling the .dm file with "#" sings could mess up it, because it might try to look for a command after each one.

Perhaps replace those signs with "/" or "-" characters?

Also, nice mod idea!
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydicke View Post
Not sure. I don't remember why I got the error or how I fixed it. I would suggest downloading a third mod, and trying to load it without alteration. If it works, then you at least know the problem is within the two you already have. I know the late-game diversity mod works fine on my machine.

Another method would be to split your mod into several smaller mods, this helps in locating exactly where the error is. At least, that's how I was taught to find errors in programming.

I don't know that there is a limit to the number of mods you can have, but it does stand to reason. The same goes with text entries in a mod.

I don't see anything in your header that would cause a problem, but I'm relatively inexperienced. Try examining a popular mod for ideas.

You have the format down - is your intention to add names, or replace them?

Thanks for the reply. I did try to download a third mod. I downloaded the insectoid mod in addition to the diversity mod. I went back and played a few turns of a test game using these two mods and they seemed to work ok, all the new spells were present for the diversity mod .. which makes me think the problem is with my mod.

That's a good ides to split my mod. I noticed that the file size of the diversity mod and insectoid mod are each in the 42kb range, but my name-adding mod is 320 kb at this point. Hence, my mod is roughly 8 times the size of each of the other mods, even though it uses no image (.tga) files other than the one intro.

My intent is just to add names. I typically play using large maps and in my average game I have 10 guys named "Taximalgus" for example using Maverni. Just about every leader I have gets duplicated many times over, and I hate that. It's too much of a pain to rename every leader when I get to the point where I'm recruiting several of them every turn, so I figured the best thing is to add 400 to 500 leader-names per nation.

I think what I'll try and do is divide my name-generating mod by specific nations or nameType; this should reduce each nation to under 30kb in size. I did see a reference in one of the other posts that only 4 mods could be active at any time, so logically, if the mods average size is 42kb, then that would put a cap of around 168kb on functional mod-usage file size in Dominions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsaber View Post
Quote:

#version 3.06
#domversion 3.23b

I'm not sure, but I think that filling the .dm file with "#" sings could mess up it, because it might try to look for a command after each one.

Perhaps replace those signs with "/" or "-" characters?

Also, nice mod idea!

That's a good point, I went back and commented-out the extraneous symbols with the comment function --, but I still have the same error.

My thinking at this point is that it simply has to do with the .DM (mod) file size. I know in Java or other computing languages that comments are just ignored in compiling, but with the DM files (a text file) the comments just increase the overall size of the mod file regardless, so maybe in that sense they're just adding useless & unnecessary baggage?

I don't really understand the relationship to comments, space (as in dominions mod length/size), and functionality (not exceeding memory size or "mymallocs") in Dominions game-modding. Basically, it might be worthwhile to eliminate or greatly reduce comments altogether in dominions mods in the light of what I'm seeing here.

Anyway, what I'll try next is to try a reduced mod (test file) that has just one nationality, like the other guy suggested. This should reduce my file size considerably, perhaps under 30k for just Maverni, and I'll see how that works. If it works, I'll have my answer and what I'll do is break my one large name-generating-mod into 50 smaller ones (one for each of the 50 nameType categories).

Anyway thanks for the replies, I'll let everyone know how the next round of testing goes, and once I get it to work I'll create a name-generating-bundle like I mentioned above and players can just use the one name file from the bundle based on their country or nameType category. If I get it to work, I'll have to test each of the 50 files individually to be sure each works, so I still have a month or more of testing type work ahead of me once I get it to function properly.
Old March 12th, 2010, 11:50 AM

Private

By the way, does anyone have any idea which nameType category is associated with independents?

I'm thinking it's the generic male [100] but I don't know for sure.
Old March 12th, 2010, 12:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That's a good point, I went back and commented-out the extraneous symbols with the comment function --, but I still have the same error.

My thinking at this point is that it simply has to do with the .DM (mod) file size. I know in Java or other computing languages that comments are just ignored in compiling, but with the DM files (a text file) the comments just increase the overall size of the mod file regardless, so maybe in that sense they're just adding useless & unnecessary baggage?
I don't think the parser understands comments per se, and the "--" string isn't documented as a comment indicator (although it's widely used in the mods posted here.) Basically, every instance of a "#" symbol tells the parser that a command follows, and lines without "#" in them are ignored. So something like "--#mycommand" would still be interpreted as a command (although it doesn't always execute correctly, so it probably assumes the command starts a line.)

I would strongly recommend removing the extraneous "#" symbols altogether.

Also, you could try (for testing purposes) eliminating all but say the first dozen or so names from each namelist to see if the mod runs properly then. That should tell you whether it's a syntax/structure issue or a data issue.
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix