BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old July 5th, 2015, 06:40 PM

Corporal

Warnevada is on a distinguished road
Default Night

Just played a night action and my friend made a valid observation. Vehicles at night shouldn't be able to move as fast as during daylight unless they're using lights, and if they're using lights they should be easy to spot. Right now they act as if it's daylight for everything except spotting.

Any chance this might be addressed in the future?
Old July 5th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Night

I've put this into my notes for discussion. It's a valid point no one has mentioned before ---could be few play low sight games
Old July 6th, 2015, 01:37 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Only option would be to slow them unless you are going to make vehicles viewable some how above the global visibility settings.
Spotting vehicles is not effected nearly as much as spotting infantry in low visibility games as a general rule.
Just like a tank firing would at the very least give away its position due to the flash but doesn't if above the global visibility setting.

A nice touch in my view that MAY be fairy easy to implement would be an option for the global visibility to randomly adjusting by a hex or two each turn.
Something like 5% chance plus X% per turn its stayed the same

Moon appears from behind the clouds, thunderstorm, blizzard eases up etc.
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:04 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
A nice touch in my view that MAY be fairy easy to implement would be an option for the global visibility to randomly adjusting by a hex or two each turn.
Something like 5% chance plus X% per turn its stayed the same

Moon appears from behind the clouds, thunderstorm, blizzard eases up etc.
Would an occasional shift of visibility by hex or two have much significant effect under decent lighting conditions (visibility 20+)? When the guns start firing, local visibility conditions already become quite dynamic as the smoke clouds start restricting lines of sight.

Under low visibility conditions (visibility 10 or less) changes of a hex or two at right/wrong moment could have some dramatic outcomes (welcome or not).
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:54 AM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road

Do vehicles hurtle about at full speed during battle? I doubt it - so won't the slowing down for "battlefield prudence" be the same as slowing down at night? wont some movement actually be quicker if it is unlikely to draw enemy attention?

Also, low vis may be fog, sand, haze, cloud, etc not just night - all conditions where lights cant be seen that far away.

ie is there a need to add further complications and adjust speeds in different visibilities?

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
Old July 7th, 2015, 07:00 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

Lets think about it,
Tanks and AFV's simply had no use use at night in WW2 and certainly should not be blundering about at night without eyes on ground.
So it's probably support veh.s like trucks that may be moving,if so then it would be reckless to advance into unsecure roads if they run up on the enemy its curtains.
As for A/C they stayed grounded unless bomber raids.
So imo as scorpio says there no need to adjust factors for night battles.
Old July 7th, 2015, 09:16 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Another way to look at this is the game as it stands allows players to do foolish things like running down a road at full speed in the dark which is one of the very best ways to get ambushed by AT teams............on the other hand prudent advancing no faster than supporting infantry is what would happen in reality and would result in fewer flaming wreaks. Also advancing infantry slower in low visibility games would keep them from blundering full tilt into ambushes in the dark which isn't that good for their morale so on one hand the game allows player to do things they shouldn't but doing those things are not a conducive to longevity so the natural course of action would be SLOW DOWN in low vis games

Don
Old July 8th, 2015, 08:31 AM

Sergeant

Griefbringer is on a distinguished road

Indeed, if I am playing a battle that takes place in very low visibility conditions, then my infantry tends to advance slowly, and my vehicles tend to follow up close behind them.

Tends to make for pretty slow games due to the slow and systematic movement.
Old July 8th, 2015, 08:54 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Very little benefits for so much change I guess, as Scorpio has noted.

I'd rather see flares implemented in night games. Unlike night vision devices, flares allow for literally everyone (even ants) to see that previously dark hexes, for a limited amount of time.

Or better yet, the mother of all changes (at least for me): the ability for troops to be raised on a building, to simulate multi-storey or high rise buildings.

Cheers
Old July 8th, 2015, 10:20 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Flares gun flashes seeing moving vehicles further out would really improve low visibility games but there is no way I can see it happening.
Complete remake of global visibility so it acts like standard visibility, some actions increase & some decrease the visibility.
I would guess messing with this would cause so many unforeseen effects its not worth it & then there is the AI to think about.
I can live with it its still the game in my book & its still evolving in areas where it can.
Given the fact that a slight change can cause issues throughout the game that need tracking down it amazes me they haven't just thrown their hands in the air & left it alone.