.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old July 16th, 2004, 01:12 AM

Lieutenant General

Boron is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A prioritized and hopefully realistic Wish List for 2.13

nice wishlist
2 small suggestions come to my mind which should be very easy too :
1. a hotkey for alchemizing fire / earth gems to gold ( or is there already one i don't know ? )
in dominions 1 that hotkey was G but i don't know one for dominions 2

2. add command : monthly forge item x which works like monthly cast ritual spell x

would be really helpful for clamhording etc.

3. for mictlan : if you klick pool bloodslaves keep the ones which should be sacrificed for domain and only pool the rest

4. make crossbreeding units like foul spawns / hybrids / black hawks upkeepfree

edit : lol it were actually more than 2 suggestions

[ July 15, 2004, 12:14: Message edited by: Boron ]
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:24 AM

Captain

Cohen is on a distinguished road

I agree with almost previous listed.
I'd add as prioritary:

Item Revies, especially for Draining Life weapons, Wraith Swrod, Blood Thorn and Hellsword are almost the lone weapons used by SCs, and are far more stronger than some of the uniques weapons. I'd like to see more variety. And I believe those items requires a "nerf" ...

I'd like to see to a total reviewed Wish (spell) listing. Armageddon totally screws up the game IMO, while other stuff like obtaining random provinces (usually far from your ones and hardly defendable), a 300 militiamen, or such things instead aren't really worthing. Why not to add some certain summons obtainable only via Wish?

I add something not prioritary but that I'd like to see:

See new Mercs and Indies to recruit.

Some new magic sites regarding new castles and recruits.
- The Enemy of the SC and all the overpowered and unbalanced things.
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:28 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by Cohen:
Item Revies, especially for Draining Life weapons, Wraith Swrod, Blood Thorn and Hellsword are almost the lone weapons used by SCs, and are far more stronger than some of the uniques weapons. I'd like to see more variety.
I think you're arguing against the fundamental nature of combat here. The reason those weapons are by far the most popular is because they play to the fundamental nature of combat: In *ANY* game, lifestealing is nearly a must-have commodity, and any fighter who lacks it pales in comparison to one who has it. However, it's entirely possible to get it by other means other than those weapons: Bone Armor, or Soul Vortex, do the job as well, and allow the user to wield a different weapon.

Quote:
Why not to add some certain summons obtainable only via Wish?
It's called a DOOM HORROR, Cohen. Wish doesn't really need more incentive to exist.
Old July 16th, 2004, 01:32 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

tinkthank is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Boron:
nice wishlist

small suggestion

make crossbreeding units like foul spawns / hybrids / black hawks upkeepfree

Thanks.
I happen to disagree strongly about this suggestion here, not only for methodological reasons (NO BALANCE CHANGES!!!) -- I don't want them to be upkeep free. There is a reason these cheaply accessable fodder units cannot be stockpiled in the thousands without having to think twice about it.
Old July 16th, 2004, 02:48 AM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

Norfleet, your reasoning why lifedraining swords shouldn't be nerfed is flawed.

The arguement for nerfing lifedrain goes like this: Lifedrain is a must-have. Anything that is a "must-have" is too powerful and needs to be nerfed or made more expensive. Therefore, any cheaply available lifedraining items in the game need to be nerfed.

Your counter-arguement (as I understand it) has two parts and goes like this:

1) Lifedrain is a must-have in any game, so it's okay that it's a must-have here.

This doesn't counter the "lifedrain needs to be nerfed" arguement because lifedrain is still a "must-have".

2) You can get lifedrain by other means than weapons, so lifedrain doesn't need to be nerfed.

This simply doesn't follow. Cheaply available lifedrain in either weapon or armor form still needs to be nerfed since it is a "must-have."

I agree that any "must-have" in a strategy game takes away the strategy, and so I agree with nerfing lifedrain items, or making them more expensive. I think a good nerf would be to cap the maximum hitpoints at 100%, so you couldn't go over your maximum. As I understand it, lifedrain lets you go over your maximum hitpoints, which seems incredibly powerful to me.
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Corporal

Duncanish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I agree that any "must-have" in a strategy game takes away the strategy, and so I agree with nerfing lifedrain items, or making them more expensive. I think a good nerf would be to cap the maximum hitpoints at 100%, so you couldn't go over your maximum. As I understand it, lifedrain lets you go over your maximum hitpoints, which seems incredibly powerful to me.
It's not a "must-have." At least, not in the every-single-player-must-use-it-or-they-will-fail-miserably-and-die-a-lonely-person sense. It's a must-have for a single type of strategy, namely, a Super Combatant (hell, it isn't even a must-have then, but still). Saying something should be nerfed because most everyone gives it to their SC just makes me think, "Why?" Clams should be nerfed because all Clamhording strategies are based on clams. All Rainbow mages should be nerfed, since every RM strategy needs one. Undeads should be nerfed, since two Ermor themes use those almost completely, which means they're obviously overpowered, or else why would they use them?

I found out what zombies are weak against.
Oh?
Point blank annihilation.
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:06 AM

Captain

Cohen is on a distinguished road

Simply I find totally unlogical to have lifedraining weapons stronger than unique weapons (const-8) because they replenish your life and stamina.

They do the job for:

Spells that heals and reinvigorates AND items that regenerates and reinvigorates.

Probably if I get an Ember, or a Summit, my character will find too soon fatigued out by drain life if going toe-to-toe against on wratih sword equipped character, or fatigued too against an army, unless he's ... lemme see ... undead or something similar Encumbrance 0?
- The Enemy of the SC and all the overpowered and unbalanced things.
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:08 AM

Captain

CUnknown is on a distinguished road

Duncanish-

I was just pointing out flaws in Norfleet's reasoning. To attack the position that 'x should be nerfed', you should either argue that it's not a must-have (as you did), or try to argue that must-haves aren't bad for strategy games (which would be very difficult).

I don't have enough experience with this game to know if lifedrain is a must-have or not, but I've read Norfleet Posts saying it is, and I believed him.
Old July 16th, 2004, 04:43 AM

Major General

Norfleet is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by CUnknown:
I was just pointing out flaws in Norfleet's reasoning. To attack the position that 'x should be nerfed', you should either argue that it's not a must-have (as you did), or try to argue that must-haves aren't bad for strategy games (which would be very difficult).
There are some things which are simply fundamental the very nature of combat, such as the concept of damage. Lifedrain falls into this: Without it, your choices of option are very much limited to fatigue-free, high-regeneration chassis options, and really, there aren't any available until very late in the game. Furthermore, my point was arguing that while lifedrain is fundamental to the very nature of combat in Dom2, lifedraining *WEAPONS* are not a necessity.

Quote:
Originally posted by Cohen:
Simply I find totally unlogical to have lifedraining weapons stronger than unique weapons (const-8) because they replenish your life and stamina.
Life draining weapons tend to be either poor in damage, or two-handed, or both, compared to these unique items. They are not even strictly necessary to have only on WEAPONS, as lifedrain can be acquired elsewhere.

Quote:
Probably if I get an Ember, or a Summit, my character will find too soon fatigued out by drain life if going toe-to-toe against on wratih sword equipped character, or fatigued too against an army, unless he's ... lemme see ... undead or something similar Encumbrance 0?
Unless, of course, he manages to kill or incapacitate his opponent using his more powerful unique weapon before this happens. You obviously haven't tried some of the nicer artifact weapons.
Old July 16th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Lieutenant General

Cainehill is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Norfleet:
Unless, of course, he manages to kill or incapacitate his opponent using his more powerful unique weapon before this happens. You obviously haven't tried some of the nicer artifact weapons.
I must say, watching Ember make 3 troops go poof in a single attack is rather nifty, and Magebane certainly makes quick work of putting things to sleep, but in general, that's not enough for an SC to take out an entire army by itself. Well - when it's undead, 0 encumbrance, and has over 100 HPs, high armor, and is regenerating maybe.

Some of the other artifact weapons seem ... underwhelming though, compared to a Wraith blade or Blood Thorn (paired with a high strength).