.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old April 19th, 2011, 09:21 AM

Major

Double_Deuce is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A More Modern > - Multiplayer "User vs AI" Campaign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
One possibility is also preparing an operation between Russia and Chechnya. Could take part as Chechnya.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
It would be nice to test historic military operations. Osprey books are to guide us in terms of orders of battle etc..
For modern conflict'm thinking of some possibilities. Mainly I'm thinking of border conflicts with limits. Italy and the former Yugoslavia, North Korea vs South Korea.
Well, anything chosen would need to be able to generate interest so you have people wanting to participate.

One of the problems with doing something historic is you will likely need to create SP maps from real terrain in the area. This is something that would need to be avoided as you would never get enough people to accurately all the maps you would need.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM

First Lieutenant

iCaMpWiThAWP is on a distinguished road

So let's do something crazy like Red x Green, this way we won't bother with historical maps.
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

I think it is easier to be guided by a real map for the strategic map as we have google maps. The tactical map could approach.
Example: Russia vs Chechnya
Other information
http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita.../chechnya1.htm
See maps:
To the east we have meetings of engagement and delay. In the capital we have defense.
To fight guerrilla warfare forces can command level companies.
In the first Chechen war the Russians had 45,000 troops against Chechen 15000. Without the armored disproportion.
I do not know specifically what size of force used by the Russians in that direction but suppose that is a division with 15000 men, how many tanks and armored vehicles?
We may have 5000 men. Not every fight in every battle since the Chechens avoided large-scale battles. I say this to take account of the forces that will use and see the fix points.
The objective would be to produce as many casualties on the enemy to lower their morale.

It's an idea. Say if you are interested to continue with the details.
I think the situation is raised. But as I have to see the details.
Greetings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Russian attacks.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	11083   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mapa general de Chechenia.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	11084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Operations Area.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	11085  
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:03 PM

Sergeant

Oche is on a distinguished road

Great ideas guys,

Roman, how about considering a limited border conflict in South America involving sides Argentina, Chile, Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Peru, Ecuador... a lot of interesting clashes and scenario ideas can be brought up as well.
Old April 19th, 2011, 05:24 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCaMpWiThAWP View Post
So let's do something crazy like Red x Green, this way we won't bother with historical maps.
I have thought about something like this, using a theme similar to what you see in FPS games like Armed Assault or Operation Flashpoint. A totally fictional operational map and situation. The concept would need to focus more on general key areas as opposed to detailed maps of the whole island/area.

The last thing we want to do is spend 6-12 months hand making the entire area in SP maps before the game could even start and aiming for accurately detailed maps is what you end up doing. In one campaign I ran we spent about 6 months (with multiple map map makers) recreating the Kerch Penninsula in the eastern Crimea in SP maps. IIRC it was 16 maps, each covering 8x5 kilometers based on real topo maps. We were burnt out before we even started the fighting. The scale was probably too large as well. It was an entire German Division against a Soviet brigade.
Old April 19th, 2011, 06:00 PM

Corporal

Richard_H is on a distinguished road

I think I'd prefer hypothetical, if only so that the accuracy of maps isn't too much of an issue. And if you want it not v tank heavy (think I read this early), you'll want 'interesting' terrain, ie somewhere a grunt can pop out at you & say "Hi dead man!" Which leaves a lot of Russia (except the Caucasus) out of it.

Are we looking modern? If so, I have a couple of suggestions:- Hungary tries to reclaim Transylvania from Romania (oobs available, maps shouldn't be too much problem); Spain retakes Gibraltar, prompting a UK Task Force similar to the Falklands (and who cares about the EU? ; Morocco takes back Ceuta & Melilla from Spain; Al Qaeda capture the Canary Islands - joint UK/Spanish task force to rescue the tourists (on second thoughts, leave them to Al Qaeda). All the above can develop (as can a S.American conflict, which I also like the idea of, but not sure how the map situation would work out).

Will go with the flow - make a decision, DD
Old April 19th, 2011, 06:15 PM

Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_H View Post
Al Qaeda capture the Canary Islands - joint UK/Spanish task force to rescue the tourists (on second thoughts, leave them to Al Qaeda).
Now something along those lines sounds like a good idea but we open the field to NATO/EU forces (light forces only, i.e Airborne, Marines, etc). And we could have China and Russia causing problems at the UN preventing the full deployment of Air/Naval forces so the players do not get access to overwhelming types of that support.

Let me bounce around a few things and see if I can work something up.
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

I think there are good ideas. I propose that we submit a list of situations and that we vote for the most interesting and easy to do. This is for us to work all in the settings and details. We can also make a merit list according to the polls.
I think it's this or work alone .... In my case I need help ...
Old April 23rd, 2011, 03:45 AM

Major

Going back through this I am more and more leaning towards a NATO vs Warsaw Pact game (circa 1984-87) with the players making up a US Task Force against a large Soviet force. The main reason is that its the era I have the most firsthand knowledge and information with so it will be easier to document and set up.

Under this setup, players would be commanders of the various Company Teams (x4) and probably the Scout Platoon. Then there would be the Battalion (Task Force) Commander who has access to and control over the Battalion level units (mortars, engineers, etc) and all extra support forces that could be called on such as Division Artillery and Air assets.

Oh, and I will need at least 36 40x50 highly unique, pre-made custom maps.
Old April 23rd, 2011, 07:36 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double_Deuce View Post

Oh, and I will need at least 36 40x50 highly unique, pre-made custom maps.

The entire point of the Map Generator and the Extended Map editor is to largely elliminate the need to make them 100% by hand. You should be able to generate all those 40x50 maps that *may* need a bit of hand tweaking in an hour or two.

Don