.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 29th, 2012, 12:14 AM

Private

skyray is on a distinguished road
Question Noob Training Series

Hello all:
I am a noob at this sim despite my love for it so far. I'd like to become proficient with the basics in game ops, command and tactics. Right after upgrading to v6.0 I started looking through the scenario listings for small infantry, armor and combined arms ops to practice with but there seems to be little organization to the types and sizes of different scenarios.

If I'm missing something that will help me look for certain kinds of scenarios w/o looking through the entire listing, would someone please post up and let me know? Some of the scenarios include descriptions but there don't seem to be many like that which tell of relative force sizes, difficulty levels and such.

I was also thinking that one of you might actually have a list of scenarios that can take someone from being a noob to being somewhat competant if they are played in order. Something like a basic course or guide for beginners. If someone does, I'd be very appreciative if they would post it up or direct me to it. Thanks.
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:38 AM

Corporal

KAreil is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noob Training Series

Hi there!

Such list with smaller scenarios for learning the game would be a really good idea!

Unfortunately I know nothing like it...

What I did for learning the game is just to create a short campaign with maybe 3-5 battles and a small combined force with a smaller map-size.

This way you can toy around with different stuff and learn the game quite easy.

For my part I think this is the best way to learn...because with non-generated scenarios I've always got the feeling that there is ONE way to beat it...the way the designer wanted it...and that's not a good way to learn improvised combat...

Just my 2 cents.
The Following User Says Thank You to KAreil For This Useful Post:
Old May 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM

Second Lieutenant

Aeraaa is on a distinguished road

About infantry battles I cannot find a scale for scenario difficulty, since all infantry centric battles are challenging. The best I can recommend here is read the manual on how you should move your men. About tank battles, I'd say play the tutorial at first if you havent, then go to battles that you have a clear superiority in quality, quantity or both (Desert Storm battles are the best here, try to do the additional objectives, like not losing a single unit, or capture all the objectives in 10 turns etc). When you feel like it, go to hypothetical cold war scenarios from the NATO side. You still have superiority tank-to-tank, but you wont have the initiative, you'll be outnumbered and outgunned in terms of artillery, plus you'll be attacked from the air. A lot. After that, go to cold war scenarios from the WarPac side. You'll need to be good at combined arms warfare in order to accomplish these scenarios.

Oh and to finish my post, when you're ready play scenario #257: East walkers. I tell you, plinking M1 and M1A1 Abrams with T55s is the most satisfying thing you'll ever feel in this game...
The Following User Says Thank You to Aeraaa For This Useful Post:
Old May 30th, 2012, 01:53 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

For learnimg the basic mechanics of the game I would say generated battles are far better.
You know exactly what needs to be achieved
You can decide the units involved incluing if you wish setting the AI side to human buy,
This way you can add layers as you become proficient.
Say infantry only to start
Then add bunkers, artillery, APCs, tanks, air & air defence etc.

For example want to learn how to use infantry vs tanks, buy the units that let you do that.
You can also pick your map to learn how to operate in diffrent terrain from urban to dessert.
Old May 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM

Captain

gila is on a distinguished road

I also can't remember an easy scenario for noobs,if you want avoid the more difficult ones,then i could maybe help there.

Starting with company sized generated battles would be best and help in learning the cohesive aspect when the need to rally applies.
A section of 0 sized mmg are useful addition also and a sniper.
Also keep atry at just a section of morters maybe any more just invites trouble same goes for expensive armour.

Keep in mind...the more you spend gives the AI that much more also to buy.

Last edited by gila; May 30th, 2012 at 10:17 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gila For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:08 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

There are a lot more players just past the newbie stage than I am. What would qualify as a "easy" scenarios for one person might not be for another so I won't recommend any.

That said, if there are any new players who have gone through the same issues as SHYRAY then please post a list of sceanrios you may have found easy or helpful and I will look over the lists then add that info to the game guide next time around.

That said, the MOST BASIC RULE would be don't bite off more than you can chew. A 50,000 point game is NOT A GOOD IDEA to start with.

If you want to get a feel for the basics of the game start with a simple infantry game( they are the core or any fighting force ) try a 30x30 map with a company or two MAX. In a meeting engagement the AI will get a company of two max as well and *probably* no armour. There are a ways to generate maps that can keep you busy for days. Pick pick one with a small town and fight the AI over it. Then try a defend then an advance then an assualt then expand from there.

Don
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old June 1st, 2012, 12:40 AM

Private

skyray is on a distinguished road

Thank you, one and all for the replies and the suggestions. They are all helpful to me. Prior to my 1st post here, I had already played the tutorial scenario and found it most enjoyable for a variety of reasons. I may not be all that computer savy but I do have some experience with modern warfare sims. "Back in the day" I worked R+D in the modern warfare departments of companies like SPI,OSG, and West End Games between 1980 and 1987 I believe. It's a favorite game environment of mine. I don't know if any of you recognize the aforementioned but we were designing before there was realy even a big home PC market.

I only mention this because if there is a need to create a kind of "training series" like I was looking for, I'd like to be a part of creating it once I get my skills up to par. There are some scenarios and operational campaigns that I might be able to translate back into winSPMBT if I can find my old stuff and i people will be interested. I could of course also serve as a guinea pig for any ideas any of you may have in this regard.

It will take me awhile to learn enough basics to move onto the scenario editors, map editor/creator functions and so forth so nothing much is going to happen right away. One thing I have found already by reading through the campaigns is one called "Heart of Africa" that seems to fit the description of what I was looking for. It seems fairly basic in terms of force composition but if I'm wrong, please give me a quick warning before I beat my head into the wall lol.

If I do happen to find stuff of old that may be useful, where should I post it? Thanks again everyone and more ideas will be much appreciated.