Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Intel Forum Bar & Grill

Old July 21st, 2007, 06:04 AM

Private

lena is on a distinguished road
Default Need a contact form

Hello,

I need a contact form on my website, that will send to my email address what the visitor enter in the form fields. The problem is that I can't run any php scripts.. is there a way to use some html form?
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need a contact form

There is. But it involves being able to run some sort of CGI. It doesnt have to be php but usually if you cant run php then you cant run anything else.

Java might be able to do it without a cgi but I kidnof doubt it.

You might check with the company that is hosting your web page. Often they will not allow you to load and run your own scripts for security reasons but will have some of their own that you are allowed to use. Send them an email and ask if they have a "formmail" script loaded for general use.
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
Old July 22nd, 2007, 12:44 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

One solution is to use a mailtoyour email) action for your form. However, I wouldn't really recommend that route. Some mail clients won't work with mailto URLs, some browsers will display a warning that might scare off users, and (probably worst of all), your email address will be publicly posted in the action for any address-gathering spambot to pick up. They might even spam you through your own form.

Instead, you might try an external outfit like Response-O-Matic (http://www.response-o-matic.com/). You set things up with them and they'll handle the scripting that'll bounce the data back to your email address. That's a nice solution if you can't host the script yourself, because it prevents all the issues mentioned above.

I would also recommend doing what Gandalf mentioned and checking to see if your hosting company offers any such service. If not, you might consider switching to a more full-service outfit when you can. You should be able to find reliable hosting with scripting support pretty cheap these days.
Old July 24th, 2007, 05:33 AM

Private

lena is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your suggestions! I found a site that offers remotely hosted contact forms, www.emailmeform.com . Basically, I paste the html code in my website, and it calls the php script on their server who sends the email.
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Atrocities is on a distinguished road

Possible spam post?
Old July 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM

General

capnq is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Atrocities said:
Possible spam post?
I don't think so. Spam posts typically have links in them, and aren't usually followed up by the original poster.

"Good morning, Pooh Bear," said Eeyore gloomily. "If it is a good morning," he said. "Which I doubt," said he.
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Also, even though the poster has only posted twice, the login is a few months old. Most of the spammers join and post on the same day then are never seen again

I think I would beware of free sites that offer to send your emails for you. Harvesting email addresses would be one way for them to pay for their "generosity"
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)