Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old June 22nd, 2018, 08:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

Warhero is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Update Schedule

Well I had sometimes pipe dream that I could play WinMBT/WW2 like in SPWAW's online playing... But seems to be that it will never happen.

PS. I have nothing against PBEM anyway.

Warhero
Old June 22nd, 2018, 09:33 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Real time multiplayer really!! Not for this type of game.

Play my turn
Sit around waiting while he plays his, 15 minutes to an hour depending on size.
Whoops sorry you finished I went off and put up some shelves while I was waiting give me 3 minutes to watch the replay.

You could play another battle in the time you just wasted.

Exactly.......

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 27th, 2018, 04:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

RightDeve is on a distinguished road

Yeah I can understand conservatives are pretty damn good at maintaining order and the status quo. But some of the counter arguments are rather unfounded (or based on wrong assumptions). Again, I'm not forcing this in any way, just proposing counter arguments for the benefit of balanced discussion:

1). Tens of thousand dollars per person, are you kidding (how difficult is the math for you?). Let's say 500 people donated 30 dollars EACH, it would be enough to hire people (programmers, graphics designers, servers, etc) to let Don and Andy off the hook and enjoy their spare time.

2). Real-time multiplayer, as stated in my original posts, is not really real-time per se. Only the opponent's moves are displayed on our screen, that is, AS he moves. Of course the game is still basically turn based, only the visuals on-screen are updating real-time as the opponent moves, we can't do anything as he's playing his turn, but at least we can watch and plan accordingly as he moves.

3). Obviously since it's QUICK multiplayer, as stated in my original posts, the map and force size will have to be small. So a SINGLE TURN could be played 5 to 7 minutes max. The game may AUTOMATICALLY assign the appropriate BUY-POINTS and MAP SIZE based on the time. Now if you want larger battles, PBEM will be better suited for you. If time-zone or real-life schedule is a problem, PBEM is for you. Best of both worlds.

4). The minor updates are not fixed-time "scheduled". They're appearing as Don and Andy have something new to roll, or something that's been fixed out of their spare time. Nothing based on deadline at all. Besides, what Don and Andy have been doing recently is just that, e.g releasing the EXPERIMENTAL .exe for us to test.

5). Delusional? Well, the computer you're using was invented by delusional people back then. Jeezus this is not even close as crazy to putting man to the Moon, or to colonize Mars. Maybe delusional people will someday have a cure for male-baldness, mind you.
Old June 27th, 2018, 09:51 PM

Corporal

jp10 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightDeve View Post
... 1). Tens of thousand dollars per person, are you kidding (how difficult is the math for you?). Let's say 500 people donated 30 dollars EACH, it would be enough to hire people (programmers, graphics designers, servers, etc) to let Don and Andy off the hook and enjoy their spare time.
As a retired commercial graphic designer and computer animator I can say that in the US you would expect to pay $38,000 to hire just a Graphic design Intern for a year. If you wanted someone with experience and skill it would $60,000 plus for one year. Your $30.00 times 500 people would just be a drop in the bucket for one person.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jp10 For This Useful Post:
Old June 29th, 2018, 12:21 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

And as a Programmer/Analyst getting someone to replace Andy would be equally costly. Probably more so as I suspect some aspects of the game code are a bit archaic and finding someone that knows something about it would require a dinosaur.

I'm a dinosaur, BUT I was a mainframe programmer and have only a passing familiarity with 'C' and know jack about interfacing a game with Windows.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 29th, 2018, 07:20 AM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Since we are talking (a little bit) about coding. I have a question and it's purely in the interest and history of the game. When SP Camo got the code from SSI did they have the opportunity to talk or work with Gary Grigsby?

I am just curious, from what I have read it originally was programmed or coded by Gary and Keith Brors. Not sure if more folks were involved or not.
Old June 29th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,387 Times in 2,684 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zovs66 View Post
Since we are talking (a little bit) about coding. I have a question and it's purely in the interest and history of the game. When SP Camo got the code from SSI did they have the opportunity to talk or work with Gary Grigsby?

I am just curious, from what I have read it originally was programmed or coded by Gary and Keith Brors. Not sure if more folks were involved or not.
Nope..... I did briefly have contact with Keith Brors but it was totally unrelated to anything to do with SP code and SP code was never discussed.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....

Last edited by DRG; June 29th, 2018 at 09:00 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post: