Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT
Notices

Old October 11th, 2005, 11:52 PM

Sergeant

Weasel is on a distinguished road
Default Reactive Armour in winMBT

Hi All; I am playing a scenario and my opponent and I have noticed that when a missile hits a tank with reactive armour you don't get any messages like you use to do in the DOS version stating "reactive armour defeats warhead". For example, in my last turn about 5 Milans bounced off my T72 which had reactive armour, but never was a message shown saying whether it was a bounce, or defeated by the reactive armour.

Does reactive armour still work in 2.0? I have asked at the Blitz and replies so far seem to indicate that no one else has seen it either.

Just wondering.

Thanks.
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:43 AM

Private

kesh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reactive Armour in winMBT

I also have a reactive armour question that I thought I could add to this thread:

Does advanced era still stop standard penetrators, as well as HEAT? IIRC I've seen the messages to do with reactive armour except the "Advanced ERA stops KE round" or something like that. I've also not seen old tanks with advanced ERA being able to survive modern DU rounds.
Old October 12th, 2005, 12:39 PM

Sergeant

I must just be missing it or something since others at the Blitz state they have seen it too. I will set up a test scenario and check it out.

**good thing I have time at school to surf the web!**

On another point then, is it correct that a milan would bounce off the side of a T72 turret 4 times in a row on the same turn? Do missiles suffer a penalty against sloped armour being they are HESH rounds?
Old October 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Weasel said:
On another point then, is it correct that a milan would bounce off the side of a T72 turret 4 times in a row on the same turn?
Depends. Mostly on what type of Milan and what type of T72. The Milans have HEAT penetrations ranging from 60 to 100 depending on the variant (from french ob) and T72's have frontal turret armor vs HEAT from 52 to 108, excluding ERA, ARENA, etc (from russian ob).
Add in angle of attack and the variable actual penetration of a HEAT warhead and an early Milan vs early T72 or late Milan vs late T72 has indeed a good chance of bouncing off 4 times in a row, excluding ERA and ARENA effects, but assuming you hit the front of the turret.

Narwan
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Sergeant

Thanks; you know every day I realize I know less and less about modern warfare...AND I DROVE LEOs FOR 6 YEARS!.
Old October 13th, 2005, 12:01 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Oops, I only now saw you did say 'bounce of the SIDE of a T72 turret', not the front.
Did some more checking, side armor for T72's goes from 20 to 42 although most have 40 (russian ob again). Should be enough for a milan to go through IF you hit it at a right angle and if no other anti-heat protection kicks in. But side hits are often angled, leading to quite high relative armor scores. The turrets are also designed to help deflect rounds (and/or its blast) besides just stopping them. I'm not sure if and how that's incorporated in the game but I can well imagine that the more angle, the bigger the chance of getting a 'bouncer'. Combined with the variable actual penentration of HEAT rounds it may well have been that the low actual penetrators hit but didn't get through and the high actual penetrators bounced off. Which would have made for a lucky T72 indeed!

Narwan
Old October 16th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Private

PN79 is on a distinguished road

Hi all
I think that ERA should work in different way than now in winSPMBT. Now ERA stop completely penetrator or do nothing against penetrator.
Some years ago there was patch for original SPMBT and there ERA did not stop penetrator completely but multiplied "steel" armor. - I think that this is way how ERA works.
So my figures:
1) for "basic" ERA
- multiply armor by 1.5 to 2 against HEAT penetrator
2] for "advanced" ERA
- multiply armor by 2 to 3 against HEAT penetrator
and by 1.25 to 1.5 against AP/Sabot penetrator

So what do you think about?
Regards
Pavel Novak