.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V > SEIV > SEIV Scenarios and Mods

Old January 13th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Private

JonMacLeod is on a distinguished road
Default Imperium Verus Mod

Hi.
I'd just like to announce the release of the latest version of my Imperium Verus Mod. Imperium Verus was designed to enhance gameplay and plausibility (as much as that's possible in a universe with psychic squid from another planet).

Latin for 'true power', the Imperium Verus Mod strives to provide both added plausibility and a more challenging game.
Playability was also a major factor in designing the mod. I have made significant changes to almost every text file in the game and many of the image files.
Particularly notable changes are:
- All techs available in the game can eventually be researched with the exception of colonization technologies (no racial or unique techs are available). Formerly racial technologies have been moved around the tech tree (except religious which made little sense to me so I remade and redistributed the facilities)
- Diplomacy has been radically altered. While the framework remains the same, the AI's responses have been significantly changed (Aggressive AI's will be more aggressive, xenophobes will be xenophobic, and perhaps most importantly the AI will actually sign peace treaties, sometimes being beaten into submission)
- Propulsion is Improved Quasi-Newtonian: Larger ships produce less thrust proportionally, as thrust is determined largely by the cross-sectional area of the rocket nozzle, while mass correlates roughly with volume. Thus, as mass cubes thrust only squares. Therefore larger ships will be slower.
- Ground assaults are now much more difficult, but multiple transports can drop troops into combat
- Neutral races have been eliminated (the button remains but does nothing) (no shooting fish in a barrel)
- Tactical Fighters
- Many components require mounts to make them proportional to the vehicle they are to be placed on
- Most weapons can be upgraded with shield penetration technology
- Obtaining technology from AI players is much more difficult (this helps maintain the individual flavor of teams and removes an almost insurmountable advantage for human players)
- Many interesting but pragmatically useless components and facilities were combined into more useful items
- AI modified heavily to increase resource, research, ship and unit production. Strategies and tactics modified to try to make AI smarter (I have found the new AI to be MUCH more difficult than the old one)
- Intelligence Projects were eliminated except for recon and low level intelligence operations (Unfortunately, without a probabilistic counter intelligence system most projects seriously detract from playability)
- Happiness types were radically altered (e.g. bloodthirsty people don't get mad at you for signing treaties, instead they are unhappy when not actually fighting)
- Most defensive vehicle types have been eliminated (except bases). This forces defense to be much more dynamic.

Technical Notes:
This mod requires Suicide Junkie's Image Modpack (The ComponentPack, version 11) to function (later versions will likely
work as well) available at http://www.spaceempires.net/home/downloads-file-35.html

Here's a link to the Imperium Verus Mod 1.02: http://www.spaceempires.net/home/dow...-file-536.html

Thanks. Hope you enjoy it.

Jon
Old March 22nd, 2006, 08:21 PM

Corporal

Wenin is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Imperium Verus Mod

Your Image Modpack link goes to download a folder of Data information, when your mod ends up replacing that information.
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:21 PM

Corporal

Huge bug. Placing a Solar sail on a Frigate, the Solar Sail still has a structural size of 3000kt.
Old March 30th, 2006, 10:32 PM

Private

RedBullBear is on a distinguished road

I really like your Mod. Quite well thought out.
www.redbullbear.com
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:30 AM

Corporal

Not sure why, but when you place Gravitic Sensors on a ship, they are much smaller than other sensors. On a fighter they are 0kt in size.
Old August 8th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Private

JonMacLeod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wenin said:
Your Image Modpack link goes to download a folder of Data information, when your mod ends up replacing that information.
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I installed the image mod into the Space Empires image directories (technically a no-no). It is compatible with the base version, and any mod I've tried (nod to Suicide Junkie). I've at least loaded and looked at a lot of mods. I then have my mods in sub-directories of a mod sub-directory. You need the images from the image mod, but, Imperium Verus replaces almost every text file in the game. I'd recommend installing Imperium Verus in a separate directory, rather than overwriting anything.
Old August 8th, 2006, 02:56 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Fyron is an unknown quantity at this point

The image mod is meant to be installed into the base SE image directories. Otherwise, you have to install it in every mod, which is a huge waste of space for duplicated files.
--- Due to restrictively low sig limits, you must visit this link to view the rest of my signature.