.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 2: The Ascension Wars

Old September 19th, 2003, 06:18 PM

Sergeant

MythicalMino is on a distinguished road
Default The Tale of Bernlad the Green Knight (game-fiction from Dominions I)

The Tale of Bernlad the Green Knight
a Dominions Game-Fiction, written by Christopher P. Beller

Bernlad arrived at the Castle gate one sunny day at the fortress of Man, seeking the Great God Merlin. Bernlad wished to join the (once, now dead and nearly forgotten) mighty Kingdom of Man.

Bernlad began his quest humble enough, only commanding a mere 10 men (a mixed company of Mannish Knights and the famed Knights of Avalon), but his bravery in battle earned him the legendary name of "The Bane of the False Gods" (well, the bane of Marignon's Pretender, Isideia, at least).

It was at the Battle of Marignon II, that Bernlad reached his destiny of fame. He led the assault, decimating the standing army of Marignon. Then he was in command of the seige, breaking the walls with the skill of a Master Cannoneer. It then came time...Bernlad once again led the assault, this time into the courtyard of the Marignon castle. Not only did the Army of Man take the castle, but Bernlad's lance peirced the heart of the Daughter of the River, and with a loud cry of pain, the Pretender-God Isideia was vanquished. After Isideia had dissipated into the spirit realm, Bernlad offered a prayer to Merlin, asking that since Merlin did not show mercy to Isideia in life, perhaps he would show mercy to her in death. He then picked up her fallen helmet, a Spirit Helmet. A Spirit Helmet has a cool clear red gem in the forehead, in which an Air Spirit is trapped. During battle, the trapped Spirit will launch lighting bolts at any enemy that comes in sight.

Over the course of the next few seasons, as Man recovered from their successful campaign of the Fortress of Marignon, Merlin began forging magical items for Bernlad to assist him in his conquests for Man.

1. The Horn of Valor, which when blown encourages nearby troops.
2. The Burning Pearl, which has a small everburning fire inside the pearl that flickers in the dark, and also protects the holder from fire and increases their attack capabilities.
3. The Wand of Wild Fire, which hurls huge fireballs at the enemy on the battlefield.
4. The Shield of Valor, enchanted with earth & air magic to make it both strong and light. Symbols of Power was inscribed onto the surface to protect the bearer from ranged missle attacks.

As time passed, Marignon began a seige of their former capital, lead by their ressurected Pretender, Isideia...and, once again, Bernlad led the counter-attack to break the seige...and, once again Isideia was slain. This time though, the Armies of Man were ready to continue the campaign to eliminate the foul presence of Marignon from the world.

Bernlad completed victory after stunning victory over Marignon's rabble of an army, leading ultimately to the final and Last stronghold of Marignon: the Fortress of Saetica. Bernlad again led the assault into the Castle, slaughtering the remnants of Marignon, and taking control of the Saetican Fortress.

It was during this time that the Nation of Vanheim began warfare against the Kingdom of Man, in Man's southern provinces, and had successfully campaigned their way to the Province of Man, and began seige there. After destroying a small band of Marignon fools who had escaped the "Saetican Slaughter", and thus banishing Isideia from the Realm of Life forever, Bernlad force marched his army to the Province of Man to break the Vanheim seige. The battle was glorious. The armies of Man liberated the Capital, and the Fortress of Man stood tall, with the walls not breached. But, during the battle, Bernlad the Green Knight, " The God-Slayer", "The Bane of the False Gods", charged headlong into a formation of Living Statues, and was slain. Even though the Province was liberated, the seige lifted, the victory won, Bernlad the Bane of Pretenders lay bloody and dying. The other commanders whose cowardice forced them to stay behind the troops in relative safety, stripped the dying Bernlad of his armor and weaponry.

The story of Bernlad the Green Knight would seem to end there....but, a Crone-witch by the name of Gunhild, and well-learned in Death Magic, sought the lifeless body of Bernlad, and had the body brought to the Province of Marignon. Gunhild performed the Ritual of Rebirth and raised up Bernlad from the dead!!! Bernlad had returned from the dark waters of death!!! Well, sorta....

Bernlad was no longer The Green Knight...instead, he was Bernlad the Mummy, an undead servant of darkness....

And whatever became of Bernlad the Mummy? Story-tellers tell of the Last time Bernlad was ever seen:
Walking aimlessly into coldest night
Covered in the shroud of darkest fright
On the final eve of a nation damned
On the final eve of the Kingdom of Man

Some still says he walks the night, searching for Gunhild the Crone-witch, and the spirits of the commanders that robbed him in death.

This is the tale of Bernlad the Green Knight...

[ September 19, 2003, 21:53: Message edited by: cpbeller ]

wanna check out a great Cards & Dice game? www.gwfwrestling.com/home.htm

I only know one language: Hillbilly

Your mileage may vary, but mine always stays the same
Old September 19th, 2003, 06:27 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Pocus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Tale of Bernlad the Green Knight (game-fiction from Dominions I)

cool. Post it on the csipg newsgroup (our open window to the gaming community)
Old September 19th, 2003, 06:34 PM

Sergeant

Default Re: The Tale of Bernlad the Green Knight (game-fiction from Dominions I)

how do i get there?

Old September 19th, 2003, 08:39 PM

Brigadier General

Johan K is on a distinguished road

Nice story!
Old September 19th, 2003, 10:53 PM

Sergeant

just edited the story a bit....added more flair

and thanks johan

[ September 19, 2003, 21:54: Message edited by: cpbeller ]

Old September 20th, 2003, 06:23 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

(applauding) Very good!

[ September 20, 2003, 05:24: Message edited by: Psitticine ]