Old January 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM

Private

dwinings is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Windows 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Sorry to jump in but laugh if that solves it, no longer have installed or would test perhaps someone else could, also higher refresh rate like 70Htz if supported.
A question I assume you are set to display at 60 not 59HTz, if so wonder if there is a glitch in Win 7 causing this, doubt very much its the graphic card perhaps someone should tell microsoft
59hz is certainly not any frequency I have seen ever.

LCD monitors have a typical refresh rate of 60hz, some with a 70hz option.

59hz - could be because you have a hardware problem of some sort perhaps, like a dodgy or over-strained power brick perhaps, or video card not seated properly?

Andy
actually most monitors have a wide range of refresh rates.
From the AOC website the refresh rate for my monitor are:
Scanning Frequency Horizontal: 30K~81KHz
Vertical: 55~75 Hz

so 59 Hz is well within it's operating range.
Old January 1st, 2010, 03:24 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

True, but the windows settings on any LCD monitors I have seen these days only ever gave 60hz (default) and 70Hz.

Now, the good old CRT monitors were a different beast entirely, and you were offered some strange rates, e.g. the larger pixel resolutions available, but at some very low and interlaced mode. (Those sort of "swam" in front of my eyes, and caused eye strain in a very short time). With CRT, it was a case of finding the largest pixel size that supported a rock-steady (75hz?) refresh rate.

Andy
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:24 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

That was my point 60 & 70 are whats offered & you said you have to reset each time so is it changing to 59 on its own despite the fact the setting is 60?
I am assuming you run in full screen at a diffrent resolution to your desktop so when it resets display resolution for some reason it is also changing the refresh rate. What is your desktop set to display at & what does it actually use 59 or 60? Guessing 59 which is why you need to reset each time.
Old January 1st, 2010, 05:37 PM

Private

Quote:
That was my point 60 & 70 are whats offered & you said you have to reset each time so is it changing to 59 on its own despite the fact the setting is 60?
I am assuming you run in full screen at a diffrent resolution to your desktop so when it resets display resolution for some reason it is also changing the refresh rate. What is your desktop set to display at & what does it actually use 59 or 60? Guessing 59 which is why you need to reset each time.
Same resolution (1680x1050)both modes. I see no difference in anything except for WinSpWW2 and WinMBT, maybe it's an odd monitor or maybe its just a quirk with the nvidia driver (which seems to be setting the refresh rate), I'm using the latest release from nvidia, but since I see no difference at all for Windows I see no reason to complain. The switch to 60Hz for SPWW2 and MBT only takes 2 seconds so it's no hassle at all.
Old January 1st, 2010, 06:40 PM

General

Quote:
Same resolution (1680x1050)both modes.
No your not AFAIK Camo games do not support that resolution so the monitor has to reset to the diffrent resolution. If you ALT TAB out of the game back to desktop screen probably goes very briefly black as changes resolution. If you now go back to the game the same happens but in your case graphics are probably corrupted as going to desktop reset to 59Hz.

The important point here I think is what is causing the refresh change hence why I asked what your desktop is refreshing at. Something is causing the discrepancy & as I assume you are checking changing the refresh rate while in your desktop I would say the error lies with windows unless everybody with problems are nvidia users in which case its there fault. Its fair to assume it is not the games fault as if you set to 60 before switch to it the game does not corrupt the setting & runs fine so you may have solved a mystery

As a thought for team nvidia or microsoft might be cheating as thats a diffrent ratio most were based on 640x480 ratio of 1.33 or close but thats 1.6 or maybe switching between to greatly varying ratios is causing the refresh error somehow out of my depth

Last edited by Imp; January 1st, 2010 at 06:58 PM..
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:28 PM

General

Said out of my depth cant see ratios having anything to do with it, mine is an ATI card but had a quick look & can do some strange resolutions like 1024x480 so ratio is not a problem 1680x1050 is a native widescreen setting. Also looked at my video card & if access it directly not through properties does indeed support some strange refresh rates inc 59Hz. Still do not understand why his switches back to 59 from 60 once he has set it though. It could not possibly be Win7 hijacking stuff for its own purposes my card is default installed in the dreaded program files folder. I am jesting here but .....
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:12 PM

Private

Quote:
Said out of my depth cant see ratios having anything to do with it, mine is an ATI card but had a quick look & can do some strange resolutions like 1024x480 so ratio is not a problem 1680x1050 is a native widescreen setting. Also looked at my video card & if access it directly not through properties does indeed support some strange refresh rates inc 59Hz. Still do not understand why his switches back to 59 from 60 once he has set it though. It could not possibly be Win7 hijacking stuff for its own purposes my card is default installed in the dreaded program files folder. I am jesting here but .....
Well the odd thing is when I check the refresh using the monitor control settings it says its at 60.1 Hz but Windows says 59 Hz, but as I said, I have no problems with Windows at that setting and no problems with WinSPWW2 and WinMBT when I set it to 60Hz so I'm satisfied. I just thought that other people might try it if they can't get them to work any other way, I couldn't. This computer dual boots (actually quad if you count Debian and Fedora) into 7 and XP, but changing to 60 Hz is much quicker then shutting down and booting into XP and I get full screen and I don't have to use XP compatibility or use a virtual machine. My SPWW2 resolution is 800x600, but that's fine for me too.