Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old February 9th, 2014, 12:52 AM

Private

dwbennett is on a distinguished road
Default Custom Map Editor Hot Keys

I think (note the qualifier, think) I've found a hot key or two error in the list given in the in March 2012 game manual for the Custom Map Editor. Maybe you all know about these already and have either fixed the manual or the hot keys but if not, where do I post my "list"?

Thanks,
Don Bennett
Kurtistown, HI
Old February 9th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Custom Map Editor Hot Keys

Well, you could have posted it with your first post
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:49 PM

Private

Heh. Well, I had the option of asking where to post the list (and getting your response) or posting the list and getting a response something like, “Thanks for the effort but we’ve already done that. Why don’t you ask next time?”

Anyway, here’s the list.

First the assumptions: 1) Page One is assumed to be the page of buttons that is first displayed when the editing program is started and my visual guide for Page One is the Secondary Road button. 2) The “Jungle Toggle” is set to OFF for the first go around. 3) Only the Hot Keys I’ve found to be incorrect are listed below.

PAGE ONE

HOT KEY "A": DESERT (no change); SUMMER "Tilled Field"; WINTER (no change)

HOT KEY "9": DESERT "Bare Earth/Arid Soil"; SUMMER "Bare Earth/Arid Soil"; Winter "Bare Earth/Arid Soil"

HOT KEY "0 (Zero)": DESERT (no function); SUMMER (no function); WINTER (no function)

PAGE TWO

HOT KEY "6": DESERT "New Fill Range"; SUMMER "New Fill Range"; WINTER "New Fill Range"

HOT KEY "7": DESERT "Fill Area"; SUMMER: "Fill Area"; WINTER: "Fill Area"

HOT KEY "9": DESERT "Light Damage"; SUMMER "Light Damage"; WINTER "Light Damage"

HOT KEY "0 (Zero)": DESERT "Heavy Damage"; SUMMER "Heavy Damage"; WINTER "Heavy Damage"

Second go around: Jungle toggle ON.

PAGE ONE

HOT KEY "A": DESERT (no change); SUMMER "Paddy field"; WINTER (no change)

PAGE TWO
Same as above (of course).

That’s what I’ve found so far. I’m putting an Excel spreadsheet of the Hot Keys, together with the changes (copy and paste from the manual and then edit), and will post if you all agree with my findings. Additionally, if anyone finds any other errors, let me know and I’ll include the correction in the spreadsheet. I’ll wait a couple of weeks to see if anything comes in before posting.

And as to why I’m even worried about this it is because I’m a big time user of Hot Keys and think any serious user and player of the games has to be one also so a correct listing of the Hot Keys is essential to the enjoyment of the game.

Plus I know how hard it is to put together a project of the this scope and all the errors that can creep in as I've had to make corrections to reports at the last minute prior to presentations. The small number of errors I have found are a testament to the hard work the team did putting the manual together. This stuff is time consuming as I've easily spent four hours going through the list repeatedly and then documenting them and then going through the list again (so I don't sound too stupid when I post it!).

Thanks,
Don Bennett
Kurtistown, HI
The Following User Says Thank You to dwbennett For This Useful Post:
Old February 9th, 2014, 03:44 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,695 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

There are some valid issues her but don't assume the Custom map editor is exactly the same as the in game editor. Only the custom map editor allows

HOT KEY "6": DESERT "New Fill Range"; SUMMER "New Fill Range"; WINTER "New Fill Range"

HOT KEY "7": DESERT "Fill Area"; SUMMER: "Fill Area"; WINTER: "Fill Area"

from Page 2

All corrections have been made to both game guides

Don
Old February 10th, 2014, 12:28 AM

Private

10-4, Sir. I will note the 6 and 7 Hot Keys for CME only in my spreadsheet. It's why I asked the question. I don't want to get it incorrect and confuse people.

Thanks, Don
Old February 12th, 2014, 01:24 AM

Private

Don,

I am composing a note for the bottom of each main page of the hot key lists and would like you to review and comment. I don't have the free game so I have had to assume from the Game Manual hot key list that everything not noted as "CD" or "CME" was included in the free game "in-game" map editor. Maybe a bad assumption, I don't know. Anyway, here's what I've come up with:

" NOTE: There are three map editors for the game: 1) The "free game in-game" map editor, 2) The CD "in game" map editor and, 3) The Custom Map Editor, a stand alone program included with the CD version of the game. The "free game" editor has the fewest Hot
Keys. The CD "in game" map editor has a few more features and Hot Keys. The CME has the most features and most Hot Keys. See the manual for detailed info on the "$" and " ^ " Hot keys. " ! " has a special use in user generated campaigns. See the Game Manual and Help Menus for much more information. "

(Maybe the comments about the number of hot keys for each editor is not needed or could be put another way?)

Comments?

I'm getting limited in my space for words somewhat (I can add more) but there is a limit before the print out of the list will exceed four pages. Right now, each "Page" of editor hot keys will fit nicely on two pages such that the user will be able (as I have) to print out the pages and place then back to back in a single sheet protector for each "Page". Pretty handy, dandy.

Thanks,

Don