This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old April 15th, 2005, 08:04 PM

Private

Kid is on a distinguished road
Default Suggestions for Space Empires V

Please excuse me if these have already be put forth. I am new to the game and have not had time to get to know the community.

1. When building satellites, please give the option to have them auto-launch from the planet that constructed them. I spend a lot of time going from planet to planet launching satellites after they have been built. With this option, a player could set a planet to built satellites and launch them into orbit until the 100 max limit is reached, and not have to check on that planet every turn.
2. In the construction queue when building Units, in the “Item Details” window please show how much cargo room the unit is going to take up. I often build units I have no space for.
3. New Tec – Planet Shields - NM I just discovered it - LOL
4. New Tec – Hardened Bunkers (like ship armor but for planets)
5. Judging from the rulebook on pages 43 and 44 it looks like the formations are built depending on where the ships are in the fleet list. I would like to have a way to reorder that list in the same fashion as building queues. If you included numbers on the ship list, then players could look at the formation diagrams and actually pick where they want the individual ships to show up in the formation. The Fleet Leader would always default to the top position.
6. Please improve the trading options for technology. I can’t select the item I want only the category and after getting burned twice I never used it again. I know you want to keep the other player’s tec a secret but I think it was over done. Maybe put some kind of indicator up showing if it will be a bad trade or not. After all, the parties would never trade in the blind. Or you could drill down based on what you have discovered in combat and through spies.
7. On the screen where you pick Strategic or Tactical could you indicate if the planets you own have defenses? I always like to use Tactical if my planets have defenses but it hit or miss most of the time.

Old April 16th, 2005, 02:20 AM
Shrapnel Fanatic

Suicide Junkie is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Suggestions for Space Empires V

#2:
Cargo requirements are usually quite easy to estimate. Round your small/medium sats up to 100kt.
Fighter counts can be rounded off to the nearest 5 or 10, and worked out from there.
Putting a cargo base in orbit can help. Any excess cargo the planet can't hold will go into the base.

#4:
Just build weapon platforms that are all shield generators.
That will give your planet a few thousand hitpoints that works just like armor.
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Brigadier General

Mephisto is on a distinguished road

Nice suggestions, especially 7 and 8 haven't been mentioned before IIRC. Let#s see what's going to come...
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:44 PM

Private

Thanks Suicide, I'll give it a try
Old April 16th, 2005, 03:50 PM

Private

You know if I could only have one thing it would be to pick where my ships show up in the formation. I like to make specilized ships for capturing enemy ships and often they show up way out on the flanks.
Old April 16th, 2005, 07:02 PM

Captain

Gandalph is on a distinguished road

After you build the first satellite and order the planet to launch, you simply click on the repeat orders button.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Old April 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM

Corporal

Zereth is on a distinguished road

That only works in Simultaneous movement. If you're in turn-by-turn, that just makes the planet launch some satellites right now.
Old April 16th, 2005, 08:41 PM

National Security Advisor

Phoenix-D is on a distinguished road

Besides, the topic is suggestions for SEV, not what you can do in SEIV.

I am not senile. I just talk to myself because the rest of you don't provide adequate conversation.
-Digger
Old April 16th, 2005, 09:56 PM

Corporal

Zereth is on a distinguished road

Ah, but it would be pretty nice to be able to do that sort of thing in sequential movement as well. Some option to have things _not_ execute orders until you tell them to or you end the turn, say.
Old April 23rd, 2005, 07:33 AM

General

dogscoff is on a distinguished road

I noticed in one of the se5 screenies that space stations still have "endless" supply. I believe this can be turned off in se4, (I think S_J used it to make supply into a finite resource in one version of P&N) and so I imagine this has been carried over into the sequel, but further options for making supply into a more finite resource would be great:

- An option to allow planetary supply depots to generate a finite, rather than infinite, quantity of supplies per turn. This kind of implies the introduction of planetary supply storage, which might be contraversial with the players as well as difficult to implement this late in development. THerefore, don't bother with plentary supply storage, and instead just have any 'unclaimed' supplies lost, which will force players to build massive "supply stations" in orbit to catch all the excess.
Please note that I request this as a modding option, not as a part of the stock game.

-A modding option to generate finite resources per turn out of thin air from a component, and/or by converting min/org/rads with a facility or component. At the moment the only such options we have are the Qunatum reactor (infinite supplies from component) or solar panels (finite supplies from component, dependent on stars in the system.) THese are great, but I'd like MORE to play with
:-)

-"Get supply from..." and "give supply to..." orders for ships/ fleets. This way a ship or fleet can chase after another one (or a planet or a base), share supplies and move on in one turn, rather than having to manually rendezvous the ships, fleet them together, wait for the supply pool to be distributed and then break the fleet, which can take several turns.