.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Bronze- Save $9.00
winSPMBT: Main Battle Tank- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Coliseum

Old November 28th, 2003, 12:41 PM

General

David E. Gervais is on a distinguished road
Default Voice comentaries and new clients..

I was playing the demo Last night and noticed something really interesting. If this game had voice-over (recorded comentary) and a few modifications were made to the input system (more keyboard input) this game would open up a whole new market... The Blind. This game does not require the player to respond to visual effects on screen, so it would be ideal for a blind person to enjoy.

Not to mention that having voice commentary during the arena battles would greatly improve the games atmosphere.

I know that getting voice actors would be expensive, (one narator and two colorful comentary voices) but I'm sure that a project like that could get some kind of gouvernment funding. heck, adapting this game for the blind would even be newsworthy and perhaps boost sales.

Also, the model for Coliseum could also be applied to other sports simulations. You might have found the ideal medium to bring interesting games to the blind.

Just a thought, Have a great day, Cheers!
Old November 28th, 2003, 04:12 PM

Private

Spags is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Voice comentaries and new clients..

Heck, if he can't budget voice actors he can always add more different sound effects to the match.
Old December 5th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by David E. Gervais:
I was playing the demo Last night and noticed something really interesting. If this game had voice-over (recorded comentary) and a few modifications were made to the input system (more keyboard input) this game would open up a whole new market... The Blind. This game does not require the player to respond to visual effects on screen, so it would be ideal for a blind person to enjoy.

Also, the model for Coliseum could also be applied to other sports simulations. You might have found the ideal medium to bring interesting games to the blind.

This is honking brilliant! You'd need a *very* comprehensive bunch of keyboard shortcuts, but as a genre it is perfect.

Parents of the disabled are often absolutely desperate for entertainment the kid can do independently. Huge market, and a generally spiffy humanitarian idea as well.

Kudos to David!

regards,

Rabe
Old December 18th, 2003, 12:54 AM

Major General

Psitticine is on a distinguished road

I have to second (well, third) that idea. I used to write text-based games and got a lot of thank-you letters from people with various vision and reading disabilities. Since they could be "read aloud" by any reader program, they worked well as entertainment for folks with such problems.

So, I agree: huge market and great humanitarian effort!
Old December 18th, 2003, 04:54 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Psitticine:

"Great humantirian effort!" from a game that involves maiming and possibly killing your opponent. I don't too many parents of younger children would approve of the idea behind the game, whether they're handicapped or not. Now as far as a game for teh blind, I'm sure it would be good idea.
Old December 18th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Second Lieutenant

rabelais is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gregebowman:
quote:

"Great humantirian effort!" from a game that involves maiming and possibly killing your opponent. I don't too many parents of younger children would approve of the idea behind the game, whether they're handicapped or not. Now as far as a game for teh blind, I'm sure it would be good idea.
Disabled folks (and their parents) have a *lot* of ambient aggression. Since it's a strat game, I'm not sure the "younger" set really enter into it demographically, ('apps between naps' is already fairly well served) but given the baseline for entertainment these days, I'm not sure that even somewhat graphic (heehee) text is out of bounds.

If you could rename the enemy gladiators for diseases/local bullies, it might even be therapeutic.

Just a thought,

Rabe
Old December 18th, 2003, 05:38 PM

Sergeant

StormcloudCreations is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gregebowman:
quote:

"Great humantirian effort!" from a game that involves maiming and possibly killing your opponent. I don't too many parents of younger children would approve of the idea behind the game, whether they're handicapped or not. Now as far as a game for the blind, I'm sure it would be good idea.
Glad you said it, and not me!

This game is not entirely appropriate for children really, as some of the text in the game can be quite graphic (hey you guys wanted possible nasty deaths, you got em!), so this market wouldn't work out too well, at least the children angle.

The "blind" thing is interesting; I hadn't thought of that. There are a fair number of visual cues in the game though, it would be a tough thing to pull off (one thing I set out to do was make the game a little more visually intuitive and interesting than my previous projects, for example buttons "lighting up" when they're active, rather than just saying "Active" on them, and using icons for options on some screens, rather than text buttons).
Old December 18th, 2003, 05:49 PM

Sergeant

Quote:
Originally posted by rabelais:
Disabled folks (and their parents) have a *lot* of ambient aggression. Since it's a strat game, I'm not sure the "younger" set really enter into it demographically, ('apps between naps' is already fairly well served) but given the baseline for entertainment these days, I'm not sure that even somewhat graphic (heehee) text is out of bounds.[/QB]
Heh, you bring up a good point about the baseline for entertainment; sadly, Coliseum would probably get an E or perhaps a T from the Ratings Boards these days.

As far as demographics, I was shocked to hear from a number of younger people who played my earlier games. Overlord and Trader 2 both had a fair number of parents writing me that those games got them into "thinking" games, kids ages 10-16 or so. Surprised me a bit. But that's a good thing, I think.
Old December 19th, 2003, 03:22 PM

Colonel

gregebowman is on a distinguished road

Those kids are lucky. When I was 10-16, pc's hadn't even come out yet. I remember those old text adventure games, but could never really get into them. But Coliseum is different. And I can't wait to play the full game. Any idea of a release date?
Old December 19th, 2003, 07:14 PM

Sergeant

When I was around 12 or 13, the Commodore 64 came out (counts as a PC, kinda ). Boy, I loved that machine (and its cousin, the 128). Cheap and powerful for the time and money it cost.

My father always insisted in get into something like computers, since he always wished he knew more about it. He sorta overdid it though: At one time later on: I had three* omputers in one room, a C-64, an Atari ST 1040 and an IBM PC. It looked like something out of a Star Trek episode.

You didn't like Zork? Ohh I loved those games. Like novels you participated in.