.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > Land of Legends

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM

Private

how786 is on a distinguished road
Default Help with \"A Simple Plan\", Legendary

I'm really stuck with "A Simple Plan". I can't seem to get the 55k needed. I get the final city on turn 13 or 14 but not the money.
Could someone be more specific with a spoiler?
I have a hunch I must figure out a way to get that final heavily guarded city sooner than I do. (Turn 12 or 13)

"Anyone who is not shocked by quantum theory has not understood it."

"There is nothing at all in either chemistry or physics that even remotely explains human consciousness."

Niels Bohr, Nobel Prize winner, Physics, 1922
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:04 AM

Private

Default Re: Help with \"A Simple Plan\", Legendary

Also, I don't understand how the 'nimble' skill works. When I start out I've got a Gardener. He moves in between 2 of those archer-statues---his only possible move. They do not shoot at him or any subsequent Gardeners.
Yet when I move a Gardener in between statues in the upper NE corner of the map, he gets attacked.
Any idea what is going on?
Thanks

"There is nothing at all in either chemistry or physics that even remotely explains human consciousness."

Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:19 AM

Second Lieutenant

Hiro_Antagonist is on a distinguished road

Quote:
how786 said:
Also, I don't understand how the 'nimble' skill works. When I start out I've got a Gardener. He moves in between 2 of those archer-statues---his only possible move. They do not shoot at him or any subsequent Gardeners.
Yet when I move a Gardener in between statues in the upper NE corner of the map, he gets attacked.
Any idea what is going on?
Thanks
The Nimble ability lets you move through enemy units. (Flying also provides this effect.)

Units without nimble (or flying) have to walk around enemy units, which can make a huge difference. These blocking/screening tactics can easily turn the tide of the game by protecting units or important objectives.

As for why the Runners are hitting you, Runners have range 2-3, and cannot hit adjacent targets. So whenever you're up against runners, you want to try to move such that you're only 1 or at least 4 squares away from them all. On this map, there should be a sweet spot for you.

Also, if you're having problems beating the mission make sure you're using the best of the Cultivate ability by having a Gardener on each city (and gold mine). They'll pay for themselves in 4 turns, after which you turn a nice profit. Also, keep building Gardeners as fast as you can to take over the cities, but make sure you don't build more Gardeners than cities/mines on the map.

Hopefully that helps!

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:24 AM

Corporal

Sammas is on a distinguished road

Nimble just means the gnome can move through enemy units, even though it is a ground-based unit. The statues (of runners) have a range of 2 or 3 squares, so they can't attack units that are next to them. So if you have a gardener directly in between all 4 statues in the NE, he can't be shot, but in any of the neighboring squares he could be.

Other than that, buy a gardener to keep on any city if you are on turn 9 or less.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:41 AM

Private

Thanks for the explanation and help. I've built mainly Gardeners from the start. I keep getting like 51-52k. Not sure how to squeeze out that last few k.
I think I've got to take that NE corner city sooner.....
Any suggestiosn on how to do so?
Appreciate the help

Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

Well, you said you're building mostly gardeners, but I would build *only* gardeners on this map. Other units will only be a waste of money, since gardeners are good for expansion and cultivation -- the only 2 things you have to do on this map.

I just did a test run on Legendary and got over 60k, so it's definitely possible. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:55 PM

Private

Yeah, Hiro. Thank you. I did NOT know Gardeners would not be attacked by adjacent units. Knowing this essential fact, I built only Gardeners and got 61,400 the first try.
I'd been building units to try to kill the statues guarding the entrance to the final city. (rolling eyes)
The Gardener just snuck by with ease!
Thanks again for the pointers all!

Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:49 PM

Second Lieutenant

Congratulations! Legendary mode is pretty hard, and I balanced the expansion missions to require near-perfect play in order to succeed. So don't get discouraged. =)

Keep in mind it's not that he Gardener's can't be attacked by adjacent units (they can, normally.) It's that Runners can't attack adjacent units, and all the enemy units/statues on that map are Runners.

If you're not already, make sure you check out each units and its abilities to know the limitations of your enemies and how to exploit their weaknesses and avoid their strengths. =)

-Hiro_Antagonist