.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Multiplayer and AARs

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Noobs & Vets: Rise of the AI Menace. EA, BI, Running.

[quote=pyg;716925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Yes, this was the essential Llamaserver.net feature I was missing. I really need to know if I've submitted my turn. A confirmation email or a status page does the trick. 14/16, looks like everyone but the AIs. New .trn soon?

Also, like Llamaserver, if I send multiple .2h files to nav@dom3minions, will the one dated last be automatically used? I just want to know that I can submit a turn and later change my mind if I have too.
I mailed out 16 trn files, Im guessing we are waiting for 16 .2h files coming back. 4 teams of 4 players each.

And yes that page does an exact read of the game directory. As soon as a file is received it appears there. And a new file sent will overwrite the old one AND display the new time stamp for it. I will try to pretty it up later.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:24 PM

BANNED USER

pyg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyg View Post
Yes, this was the essential Llamaserver.net feature I was missing. I really need to know if I've submitted my turn. A confirmation email or a status page does the trick. 14/16, looks like everyone but the AIs. New .trn soon?

Also, like Llamaserver, if I send multiple .2h files to nav@dom3minions, will the one dated last be automatically used? I just want to know that I can submit a turn and later change my mind if I have too.
I mailed out 16 trn files, Im guessing we are waiting for 16 .2h files coming back. 4 teams of 4 players each.

And yes that page does an exact read of the game directory. As soon as a file is received it appears there. And a new file sent will overwrite the old one AND display the new time stamp for it. I will try to pretty it up later.
Drunken math. It's all Linchih's fault!

Who need pretty when I have something to remember when I forget.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:46 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septimius Severus View Post
How about updating first post?
Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:18 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

Septimius Severus is on a distinguished road

Will do so very shortly. Was going to wait till the current turn hosts, but I may do so before then.

Get your turns in everyone ASAP!

I am drafting Lingchih once again into the position of Turn Enforcer (if he accepts). I hereby authorize Ling to monitor the turns received link, and to seek out those who haven't submitted their turns and pester them into submission.

Grudge, if the folder you create to put your turn in (this goes for any game) has spaces or certain special characters in it, it will not show up in the games list.

Be harmonious, enrich the soldiers, and scorn all other men.
-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).

Last edited by Septimius Severus; November 3rd, 2009 at 02:46 AM..
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

I will try to make the info page more helpful. This will be a template once I get it done so we will have it available already for the other games.

*sigh*
pull date from ftherland file, add 32 hours
display countdown
math of epoch time sucks

pull list of .2h files
compare to .trn files to make list of .2h that are later than their .trn
display .2h that are later than turn and list missing .2h as still need to do turn

rewrite .procmailrc to not only unpack all .2h into the game dir but also to check each time if thats the last one so we can automate hosting, then add "or 32 hours"
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
I will try to make the info page more helpful. This will be a template once I get it done so we will have it available already for the other games.

*sigh*
pull date from ftherland file, add 32 hours
display countdown
math of epoch time sucks

pull list of .2h files
compare to .trn files to make list of .2h that are later than their .trn
display .2h that are later than turn and list missing .2h as still need to do turn

rewrite .procmailrc to not only unpack all .2h into the game dir but also to check each time if thats the last one so we can automate hosting, then add "or 32 hours"
Basic info is fine, whatever you do extra is gravy. But yes, we are learning alot this first game, players in the next game will have the advantage of all (or most) of these issues having been worked out. It will also increase the functionality of your server for PBEM games, and perhaps make it a viable alternate for such games. Not to mention the added bonus of direct connect functionality.

A single comprehensive status link/page perhaps with links to other pages would give us a front end similar to Llama's front end. In time you may be able to incorporate game altering functions and all of that as well. The possibilities are endless.

-Emperor Septimius Severus, to his sons shortly before his death, quoted in Dio Cassius (77.15.2).
Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

The following team alternates (as of the start of the game) will receive 2nd choice nation privileges and are guaranteed a spot in the next game should they wish to play:

Tam-Lin
sum1lost
CuriousCat
Tarrax
PsiSoldier
Makinus
shard
AnimateDream

The only condition I place on this is that they act in the best interests of their team. They must not be betray their team or divulge privy information and they must be ready, willing, and able to sub should the need arise in as much as they are able to do so. If any alternate is kicked off their team by the Captain for any of these reasons, they forfeit these benefits.

I want to encourage all alternates to feel like they are a part of the game and a part of their team. Alternates, your input is valuable to your team and is appreciated.

I also encourage team Captains to consider perhaps assigning roles to those alternates who want to take a more active role and who have the time, such as updating info on the forum/threads, creating maps, researching strategy/tactics, learning counters, intelligence gathering, etc, etc. But the prime duty of an alternate is always and has always been, to sub when needed.

There are 6 people on each team (7 if you count the advisers on two of the teams) and 6 or 7 heads are better than four.

CC: via PM to all alternates.

Note: The opening post is being updated with the 3 game status links and a few other links as well.

Last edited by Septimius Severus; November 3rd, 2009 at 01:10 PM..
Old November 3rd, 2009, 07:35 PM

General

rdonj is on a distinguished road

Is there any way we could get these turns in faster? I've been burning out on dominions recently and this is not helping
"Easy-slay(TM) is a whole new way of marketing violence. It cuts down on all the red tape and just butchers people. As a long-time savagery enthusiast myself, I'm very excited about the synergies that the easy-slay(TM) approach brings to the entire enterprise." -Dr DrP
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:20 PM

BANNED USER

chrispedersen is on a distinguished road

Rdonj,

Grudge was having technical difficulties, and as I posted, I just got back.

I understand that people are getting antsy
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:29 PM

General

Lingchih is on a distinguished road

Get those turns in you worthless slackers!

I occasionally post something useful.