.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old August 10th, 2016, 02:22 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road
Default Sword Point. 8 July

Attached is a scenario based upon Harold Coyles 1988 book Sword Point. The fictional background and scenario background are shown below.

The map is based upon the terrain approximately 10 km north of Hajjiabad (using Coyle’s spelling), Iran. In searching google earth, I found terrain matching the battle map of the book, and adapted it using dmnt’s terrain map generating tool (http://www.venhola.com/maps/).

To match descriptions in the book as well as provide some play balance, some adjustments were made to make the actual terrain conform to the battle map in the book.

The tactics of the Soviet assault are from the book. As such, this is heavily weighed towards a US victory. So a large loss in US forces or a marginal victory to the US should be considered a loss.

This is the first of a series of battles from Sword Point that I’m working on. Both from the US side as well as the Soviet.

It’s a great book and excellent read of mechanized warfare in the late 20th Century. I highly recommend it.

Sword Point (8 July 1987)

Adapted from the book Sword Point, by Harold Coyle

Date: 8 July 1987

Battle Location: 10 Km North of Hajjiabad, Iran.
Battle Type: US Defense v. Soviet Assault.

Fictional Historical Background:

Based upon the novel by Harold Coyle (Sword Point), the USSR invades Iran seeking access to warm water ports into the Gulf of Oman. Faced with an antagonistic Iranian government who considers both the US and the USSR to be the greater/lesser Satan, US forces lead a coalition to intercede in the conflict and stabilize the region. US forces move north from the Iranian southern ports to meet the advancing Soviet armored columns.

The US and USSR must face an additional adversary from the remnants of the Iranian armed forces and paramilitary.

This scenario is set in locations described in the fictional account, using modified topographic maps adapted to the battle maps in the book, as well as detailed descriptions of terrain features, adjusted for the almost 30 years since the book’s publication. Minor adjustments in force levels are made for play balance.

Scenario Background:

You command elements of the 3rd Battalion, 4th Armor, holding a defensive position between two ridges saddling Iranian Rt. 71 north of Hajjiabad. Facing you are elements of at least two Soviet Tank Battalions augmented by Motor Rifle Companies.

You have two scout sections out front on either side of the valley. Their mission is to report enemy movement and engage only if necessary. One tank platoon attached to Team B (Mech Infantry) is positioned forward, they will make initial contact and fall back to support Team B. The remainder of Team B is located on the west ridge (south ridge on map). C Company (Mech Infantry) is positioned on the east ridge (north ridge on map). An anti-tank ditch with minefield is situated across Rt. 71, behind which is a company of M1A1 tanks (A Coy). A Mech Plantoon screens to the west (south of the main positions). You have mortar support, as well as one Battalion of Artillery and two FASCAM batteries.
US forces have filtered opportunity fire. You may adjust this as you see fit, but the battle plan is to ascertain the main objective of the Soviet thrust then attack. Once you determine the enemy axis of advance and they are in effective range, you are free to initiate contact.

The Soviet thrust is anticipated down Rt. 71 into your positions. US Air has interdicted their Recce formation so expect armor to lead the assault. Their strategic objective is the port of Bandar Abbas.

US forces in country are limited. Battle losses cannot be easily replaced. Husband your forces accordingly but the current Soviet attack has to be stopped. Remember, this is not the last battle we expect. It’s a long road to Tehran. Good Hunting!

Design by: Thomas Garlock
Attached Files
File Type: zip SwordPoint8July.zip (160.4 KB, 242 views)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Grant1pa For This Useful Post:
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:32 AM

Captain

wulfir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sword Point. 8 July

Excellent work!

Played it through, lost one Abrams and one M2A1 Bradley to Soviet tank fire.

I violated the intention of the Cav and used them for fighting.

I was too slow with manouvering one M3A1 Bradley Plt and it got smashed by artillery, lost all three vehicles.

One Abrams of the forward positioned tank plt got stuck on a rough slope while pulling back, the other tanks of this platoon were out of ammo at games' end, on turn 16. At this time the Soviets still had an intact BMP Co on map...

Haven't read Sword Point, but hope for more scenarios.
Ever given any thought to making a campaign out of it...?
Old August 11th, 2016, 06:40 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfir View Post
Haven't read Sword Point, but hope for more scenarios.
Ever given any thought to making a campaign out of it...?
Thanks. Coyle was an armor officer and a Virginia Military Institute graduate (VMI is a special place for me). I've been a fan of his work since Team Yankee came out in the 80's.

I have a second scenario in the play test phase, and two more in map development. I've never done a campaign before so I'll have to research that. But his book would be a perfect adaptation for one.

Tom
Old August 11th, 2016, 11:51 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Sword Point. 8 July

I'm playing! So, far on turn 10. I redeployed Quebec platoon, Mec Inf forward after the initial pasting they suffered. Also, I moved my forward tank platoon, Romeo to a point just south of the minefield and ditch.

Filters seem about right, I just tinkered a bit here and there. Also, I inactivated weapons on the scout formations.

I'm liking it.

I understand this is pure fiction because the Iranians and Iraqis were at each other's throats in '87, and the Soviet Union was all but broken after their foray into Afghanistan.

Still, a great job with the map, wow! And the force deployment, except for Romeo platoon hanging out there all alone.

Oh, and least I forget, where's air support. I guess a VMI armor guy only thinks in terms of tracks and treads. I mean at one point I think the US had three carrier battle groups on routine patrol and there's Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.

I like it.

=====
Old August 12th, 2016, 07:32 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
I understand this is pure fiction because the Iranians and Iraqis were at each other's throats in '87, and the Soviet Union was all but broken after their foray into Afghanistan.
Still, a great job with the map, wow! And the force deployment, except for Romeo platoon hanging out there all alone.
Oh, and least I forget, where's air support. I guess a VMI armor guy only thinks in terms of tracks and treads. I mean at one point I think the US had three carrier battle groups on routine patrol and there's Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean.

=====
They have some Zoomies at VMI... There is quite a lot involving air assets in the book. For this battle, US air decimated the Soviet Recce formation that was supposed to lead the assault in the hours before the scenario, and as the battle concluded, they chew up a MRR. It just didn't directly factor into the time frame of this battle.

As far as the Tank Platoon out alone, I can't remember it really being explained well in the book. Basically, the deployment of US forces here is a kill sack. Anti-armor on the flanks and a tank heavy in the center. I figured the tank platoon was the rabbit wagging it's tail. I used them to hit, then get out of there.

Glad you liked this one. The next one you should like better... I'm still tweaking the Soviet movement.

Tom
Old August 12th, 2016, 09:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Putting one tank platoon in forward positions should cause the Soviet forces to deploy early slowing their advance on the US MLR (Main Line of Resistance) thus allowing more long range shots and US artillery/mortars to do their thing longer.
Also it should deceive the Soviets into using their own artillery on a minor defensive position thus reducing its initial effect on the MLR and allowing US counter-battery to reduce the Soviet artillery before it locates and starts damaging the MLR.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old August 21st, 2016, 08:26 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Sword Point. 8 July

Sword Point – Battle Notes

Date: 8 July 1987
Battle Location: 10 Km North of Hajjiabad, Iran
Battle Type: US Defense v. Soviet Assault
Design by: Grantpa1

Battle Date: 12-14 August 2016

Source:

Based upon the novel by Harold Coyle (Sword Point), the USSR invades Iran seeking access to warm water ports into the Gulf of Oman. US forces move north from the Iranian southern ports to meet the advancing Soviet armored columns.

Scenario Background:

You command elements of the 3rd Battalion, 4th Armor, holding a defensive position between two ridges saddling Iranian Rt. 71 north of Hajjiabad. Facing you are elements of at least two Soviet Tank Battalions augmented by Motor Rifle Companies. You have two scout sections out front on either side of the valley. Their mission is to report enemy movement and engage only if necessary. One tank platoon attached to Team B (Mech Infantry) is positioned forward, they will make initial contact and fall back to support Team B. The remainder of Team B is located on the west ridge (south ridge on map). C Company (Mech Infantry) is positioned on the east ridge (north ridge on map). An anti-tank ditch with minefield is situated across Rt. 71, behind which is a company of M1A1 tanks (A Coy). A Mech Platoon screens to the west (south of the main positions). You have mortar support, as well as one Battalion of Artillery and two FASCAM batteries.

The Soviet thrust is anticipated down Rt. 71 into your positions. US Air has interdicted their Recce formation so expect armor to lead the assault. Their strategic objective is the port of Bandar Abbas.

US forces in country are limited. Battle losses cannot be easily replaced. Husband your forces accordingly but the current Soviet attack has to be stopped. Remember, this is not the last battle we expect. It’s a long road to Tehran. Good Hunting!

Design Notes:

Given the excellent background information, identifying Soviet forces by unit would lend very well with the style and authenticity established for the US forces, example: give the Soviet company and platoon units Soviet unit identifiers such as, 1st company of the 277th Motor Rifle Division and the 2nd and 3rd battalions of the 218th Tank Regiment, etc.

Great map with exceptional force deployment.

“Whoever is more vigilant in observing the designs of the enemy in war, and endures much hardship in training his army, will incur fewer dangers, and can have greater hope for victory.”
Niccolo Machiavelli (“The Art of War: Book VII”)

Mission: Destroy the Soviet force making it combat ineffective by disruptive fires and ambush.

Commander’s Intent: Break up the Soviet advance on Rt. 71 forcing their commander to split his force into two separate forces each led by a tank battalion. In this way, we deprive him of the capability of concentrating his two mechanized battalions at one decisive point. To accomplish this we must create a ruse so that the Soviet commander will calculate that we have sufficient forces deployed south of Rt. 71. Once he makes that decision, he will split his forces as a cover of the Rt.71 advance. To set the ruse, we’ll deploy Team B’s tank platoon forward to get his attention, “waggle the tail.”

Play Notes:

The Soviet T-80 is the main battle tank in this engagement. It has tremendous ERA and highly rated front hull and turret ratings; therefore not only wait to engage at ranges given hit chances at 79% or greater but watch the angle of your shots and try to strike the bears on the side and rear hulls.

Take advantage of opportunity fires. If you pull back but want to keep that patch of dirt, then only fall back one hex, as the movement back to your position will not cost as much in the next turn if you want reaction fires. Caution, you cannot trade tank for tank, as the Soviet side has two battalions, about 60 tanks and possibly a company supporting the motor rifle companies, therefore if you do engage in reaction fires limit one shot per tank, but you better check your unit vision with extreme diligence.

Smoke helps. Use the mechanized rifle squads to lay down smoke around the M3A1 Bradleys and Dragon teams.

This scenario requires some management of the US forces to shape the battle. Patience is golden. Hold fires for best angle and range. Move around cautiously to avoid FA fires and to exploit gaps in the Soviet attack.

I reserved my FA, the 155’s for counter battery. The FASCAMs I threw at the second battalion of tanks resulted with good effects. It slowed them down enough to fix their positions to increase hit percentages for Abrams and Bradleys.

You did it again Tom. Thanks

Battle Report

Battle Result

======
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post: