.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old February 2nd, 2017, 09:45 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gotta AI problem here and I could use some help

A passenger is off map, so at -1,-1 as far as coordinates go. So the initial plot will be from -1,-1 -> top left of map.

As stated above - dismount passengers before issuing waypoints, then load if they are to be carried by APC.
Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:12 PM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post
A passenger is off map, so at -1,-1 as far as coordinates go. So the initial plot will be from -1,-1 -> top left of map.

As stated above - dismount passengers before issuing waypoints, then load if they are to be carried by APC.
Copy that. But I've found through practical application that only the "command" element (Btn,Coy cmdr/ Ptl "cmdr") or the special defense section (last unit on ptl, independent ptl's or recce ptl's having apc's) are the only ones I need to unload before setting waypoint (and I sincerely hope I'm explaining this right...it's been a long day at work!). Maybe I'm wrong but that's the way the program works for me.

Tom
Old February 2nd, 2017, 10:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

SaS TrooP is on a distinguished road

I have just tested it and it works just as you both say, so thank you again. Waypoints seems to be solving my problem pretty fine, though I am still not satisfied with little details.

1) If you have mechanized infantry going with the waypoints and infantry unloads due to contact, will AI units pick up that infantry (as they do on default) before proceeding further? Or will IFVs just leave infantry behind and dash happily forward?
2) what happens when there are no more waypoints? Will AI proceed to nearest flags as they normally do? If so, is it worth trying to set waypoints to like first half of the map, and then leave it to them?
Old February 3rd, 2017, 03:58 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaS TrooP View Post
I have just tested it and it works just as you both say, so thank you again. Waypoints seems to be solving my problem pretty fine, though I am still not satisfied with little details.

1) If you have mechanized infantry going with the waypoints and infantry unloads due to contact, will AI units pick up that infantry (as they do on default) before proceeding further? Or will IFVs just leave infantry behind and dash happily forward?
2) what happens when there are no more waypoints? Will AI proceed to nearest flags as they normally do? If so, is it worth trying to set waypoints to like first half of the map, and then leave it to them?
Generally once unloaded and contact is broken (due to line-of-sight or enemy elimination) APCs/IFVs will go into a cycle of "load infantry" - "unload infantry" and neither will move from the area where they unloaded.
Sometimes they may pick up infantry and proceed to their next waypoint, but don't count on it.
APCs/IFVs that share a formation with infantry will not dash forward leaving them behind, but if they are in a separate formation they may.

I generally find it best to plot the last waypoint (or several) near a "final objective" to encourage the AI to advance because sometimes when you use waypoints they just mill around when they reach the area where the last one was plotted.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old February 3rd, 2017, 08:07 AM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Gotta AI problem here and I could use some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1pa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobhack View Post

Copy that. But I've found through practical application that only the "command" element (Btn,Coy cmdr/ Ptl "cmdr") or the special defense section (last unit on ptl, independent ptl's or recce ptl's having apc's) are the only ones I need to unload before setting waypoint (and I sincerely hope I'm explaining this right...it's been a long day at work!). Maybe I'm wrong but that's the way the program works for me.

Tom
I've had to grapple with this as well...setting waypoints for mounted units. It really only works if they are dismounted as stated elsewhere, but I think it is not by a unit (unless the unit is a formation.) Point being, waypoints are set by formation. A platoon (C0) may have, say four fomations (C0, D0, E0, and F0)...if you set a waypoint for C0 only units of that formation (C0, C1, C2) will respond to the waypoint. You'll have to set waypoints for each of the formations in the platoon separately.

This is what I recall.

And back to setting waypoints for mounted units...I prefer to buy my vehicles separately from the leg infantry.

Another reason when creating scenarios I open MobHack (ScenHack, and the Extended Map Editor as well.) I seem always having to create formations.

Say, you want to set a patrol around a perimeter, that patrol would behave better if you limit the formation to only one unit, say a squad when you set it's waypoints. Also, to get it right, you may have to factor terrain in your waypoint calcs...again see that guy Pyros' tutorial.

=====