.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old November 16th, 2010, 11:21 AM

Private

FangoWolf is on a distinguished road
Default Mordar Balance

Mordar - the Sourone yes as in orcs and LOTR

I am getting close to finishing my first modded army, but I have only had the game a few weeks and have no idea how to make sure the list is balanced. I can beat the computer running the list but...

Anyway is there anyone with some time that can point out some obvious flaws I'm missing?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Mordar.zip (69.9 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by FangoWolf; November 16th, 2010 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Forgot the attachment doh
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:23 PM

Private

zegc-ben is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mordar Balance

I think you should first post your mod. There will be some people to download it and make comments, expecially if they think some part are wrong !

By the way if you are looking for modding advices you should take a look there http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php.
The Following User Says Thank You to zegc-ben For This Useful Post:
Old November 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Private

Thanks already found a problem from that site. I need to strip fear off the Half-Trolls.
Old November 16th, 2010, 01:18 PM

Private

removed fear from Half-Trolls and Eleophants
Old November 16th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

Stavis_L is on a distinguished road

No comments as to balance, but just a question as to whether you're intentionally changing spelling vs. the LoTR text? (for instance "Mordar" vs. "Mordor" and "Eleophants" vs. "Oliphaunts" or "Mûmakil"?) I'll assume that your unit descriptions are mostly placeholders for now; some of them are incorrectly assigned (e.g. Sorceror shares the same description as the Balrog.)

Also, I see that you've included a "Wraith Lord" unit. Note that there is already a "Wraith Lord" unit in the game, and if you keep the same unit name you'll overwrite the description for the out of the box unit type. The same thing applies to "Sorceror" and "Wolf Rider".

Finally, you may be interested in the Kingdom of Angmar mod, which is also based on Tolkien.

http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44148
Brainless Soulless - a fix for Life after Death/Ankh "exploit", Bogarus Scout Fix
Old November 16th, 2010, 04:42 PM

Private

I wasn't sure if people were using real names, some games are particular about that stuff. Yes I have to work on the descriptions/ background and a few of the sprites need to be replaced. Thanks for the heads up on replacing generic unit names, I will have to rename units. Does the Angmar list have a werewolf unit for Sauron?
Old November 17th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Colonel

Soyweiser is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangoWolf View Post
I wasn't sure if people were using real names, some games are particular about that stuff.
Just changing one character in a name doesn't matter. Even if you name it Mordeur, Sourone etc. It will still be a copyright violation. (Unless fair use applies, you are in China etc).

But for mods most people/corps won't care. Just don't try to make money out of it.
Old November 18th, 2010, 04:40 AM

General

WraithLord is on a distinguished road

I think it would help the mod PR if you were to put a thumbnails image of all the units/commanders/summons.

The mod sounds fascinating. I wonder if there were similar (as in LoTR based) dom mods made before. So as to a allow a full LoTR themed MP game - yummi.
Old November 18th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Private

zegc-ben is on a distinguished road

I have taken a look at your mod. It's a great choice of theme and I look forward to see it finished.

Now there are indeed quite a lot of balance issues, which is quite normal if you are new to the game. Please excuse me if the rest of my post seems like I am bashing your work, just assume that everything I don't speak of is fine.

The Sauron pretender : It's probably the one most unbalanced thing about your mod. For 75 points which is not so expensive you get a good early SC chassis (fear on a pretender good is really powerfull) with the new path cost of a rainbow, a good base dominion and a crasy forge bonus. For a comparaison, the prince of death is considered as quite overpowered at a cost of 75 exactly because of the same fear+base dom of 3 combo and he has neither the rainbow potential nor the forge bonus.

The normal orcs troops are currently quite bad, expecially since they dont currently have any shield (but I tink that's an error looking at the sprites) but they should still be playable.
On the other hand the oliphants is badly underpriced. Normal elephants are already efficient enough to be used in MP rush and yours are much cheaper and better (13 morale means they won't rout as easilly, normal MR means they are much harder to deal with and the spears means they are more resilient since they can repel opponents). I haven't really tried the wraith but they seem really too strong, using for exemple MA Vanheim sacred van for a comparaison.

The mage have a terribly poor magical diversity with only fire and earth available and they cost a lot of ressource which is unusual.
The Following User Says Thank You to zegc-ben For This Useful Post:
Old November 18th, 2010, 10:49 AM

Private

Thanks Zegc. This is exactly the stuff I was looking for. I knew sauron was messed up, but I wasn't sure how to change the costs and I under estimated fear badly it seems. It looks like its the gcost that sets his value. I will tone him down.

On the orcs I was hoping to make them a little under average and try to make up the difference in numbers and motivators to up the morale. I'm not real sure what the upgrade "standard 5" meant. How far is 5 and do they use the standard bearers morale or just regenerate morale?

Yes the elephants and wraith were giving me fits. I will do some more comparisons and rework/tone down.