.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > The Honorably Discharged > LockNLoad: The Forgotten Heroes

Old September 5th, 2002, 12:13 PM

Sergeant

Mark H. Walker is on a distinguished road
Default Lock \'n Load AAR

Hi Guys,

Eddie Campisano recently sent along this fabulous After Action Report (AAR). He's playtesting the demo scenario. I thought that everyone might liek read it.

Here's a quick rundown on my first (solo) game. I've played very slowly to check and double check all the rules and die rolls. I feel I've followed the rules well, with the possible exception of the Spotting rule where I've become somewhat lazy. However, most of the units in question either moved or fired in their impulse and thus were automatically spotted anyway. If you see any errors, Mark, or if you have any questions please let me know.

This scenario plays very well solo. The Spotting rules enhance solo play.

VC Setup:

Hex H3 (Lt. Jungle): Lt. Diem, 1 x 1-4-3, 1 x RPK
Hex I3 (Lt. Jungle):1 x 1-4-3
Hex I6 (Lt. Jungle): 1 x 1-4-3

Comments: This setup give the VC control over the road intersection and approaches to the village.

TURN 1.1 (US player has the initiative)

1 x 2-6-4 moves on road from A4 - D4.
2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60, Lt. Jenson moves on road from A4 - C3.
2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60, Medic moves on road from A4 - B4.
(Since Lt. Jenson was in the middle of the column he could activate all units in the same impulse.)

Comment: Simple column movement with a point squad and the command element in the middle.

TURN 1.2 (VC player)

VC 1-4-3 in hex I5 spots US 2-6-4 in D4. (US squad is out of fire range) VC player Passes. US player has performed an action with all of his units; he must pass. VC player Passes. Remove all markers. End Turn 1.

Comment: US troops spotted but out of fire range.

TURN 2.1 (US player gains the initiative)

US 2-6-4 in D4 spots VC 1-4-3 in I5; fires weapons to no effect. US 2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60, Medic in B4 move to C4 (Lt. Jungle). US 2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60, Lt. Jenson double time from C3 to E5 (Level 1 Hill, Heavy Jungle).

Comment: US troops spot VC and open fire. Lt. Jenson takes a base fire element and double-times to the top of the small hill. Trailing squads move off road into light jungle for protection.

TURN 2.2 (VC Player)

VC 1 x 1-4-3, 1 x RPK, Lt. Diem in H3 spot US units in E5; they fire on US units in E5. (1 US 2-6-4 without support weapon is Shaken) VC 1 x 1-4-3 in I3 fires on US units in E5; no effect. (This VC unit was adjacent to Lt. Diem and could fire in the same impulse, but separately.)

Comment: US base fire element takes fire. One squad is shaken.

TURN 2.3 (US Player)

All US units have been activated. Pass.

TURN 2.4 (VC Player)

VC 1 x 1-4-3 in I5 fires on US units in E5.
(1 US 2-6-4 with M-60 is Shaken; Lt. Jenson is Shaken. All US units in E5 are Shaken) Remove all markers. End Turn 2.

Comment: VC pour fire onto the US base fire element, Shaking all US units before they can fire.

TURN 3.1 (US player gains the initiative)

Lt. Jenson in E5 self rallies.
Lt. Jenson rallies both US 2-6-4 squads in E5.

US 2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60 fire at VC in H3.
(VC 1-4-3 takes casualties, becomes Shaken half squad. Lt. Diem not effected)

Comment: Lt. Jenson rallies his men and returns fire. VC takes casualties.

TURN 3.2 (VC Player)

VC 1 x 1-4-3 in I3 moves to H3.

Comment: This VC squad moves into I3 to eventually take control of RPK support weapon from Shaken half squad.

TURN 3.3 (US Player)

US 2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60, Medic move from C4 to E3.

Comment: Move these troops forward with M-60 to put fire on VC in I5 who have harassed US base fire element.

TURN 3.4 (VC Player)

VC 1 x 1-4-3 in I5 fires at US units in E3.
(1 US 2-6-4 without support weapon is Shaken)

Comment: VC strike first and Shake a US squad.

TURN 3.5 (US Player)

US 1 x 2-6-4 in D4 fires at VC unit in I5; no effect.
Remove all markers. End Turn 3.

Comment: This VC unit in I5 has been a problem. But US can't knock them out.

TURN 4.1 (US Player gains the initiative)

US Medic rallies Shaken Squad in E3.
VC Lt. Diem rallies half Squad in H3.

US 2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60 fire at VC units in H3.
(VC 1-4-3 takes casualties, becomes Shaken half squad. Lt. Diem and second half squad not effected)

Comment: Thank heaven for the Medic! VC take more casualties. Now have 2 half squads in H3.

TURN 4.2 (VC Player)

VC 1 x 1-4-3 in I5 fires at US units in E3 (no effect).

Comment: This VC squad finally misses!

TURN 4.3 (US Player)

US 2 x 2-6-4, 1 x M-60, Medic move from E3 to E2 (activate "A" LOS Event Marker).

Comment: Running out of time and must try to outflank the VC in H3. This stand up fight with the VC has been to their advantage.

TURN 4.4 (VC Player)

VC 1 x 0-3-3, 1 x RPK in H3 fire at US units in E5 (no effect).

Comment: No point in pulling back these VC units with reinforcements on the way!

TURN 4.5 (US Player)

US 1 x 2-6-4 moves from D4 to E2.

Comment: May as well reinforce the maneuver element in the rice paddy now that the NVA have appeared.

TURN 4.6 (VC Player)

NVA 1 x 2-5-4 Assault Moves from H1 to G1; fires weapons at US units in E2.

Comment: This kills me. One NVA squad at half firepower of 1, + dr 5, + Leader modifier of 1, + 1 for US movement equals a firepower number of 8. US troops get +1 for the rice paddy and a dr each. Result is all US units are Shaken!

TURN 4.7 (US Player)

All units have been activated. Pass.

TURN 4.8 (VC Player)

NVA 1 x 2-5-4, 1 x RPK, Lt. Van Du Assault Move from G1 to F2; fires weapons at US units in E2.

Comment: This just about finishes me off. But for the fact the NVA could only move half their movement they would have entered the US hex and slaughtered all the GI's in melee combat. However, getting the +2 modifier for attacking an adjacent enemy hex is more than enough (along with half firepower of +2, dr of 3, Leader modifier of +1, and +1 for US movement equals a killer firepower of
9!) The end result was all three US squads take casualties and the Medic is wounded.

Remove all markers. End Turn 4.

The activation of Event "A" in Turn 4 was the beginning of the end for the US player. The two NVA squads in turn caused all the US units in E2 to become Shaken, then take Casualties. They could not therefore rally in Turn 5 as they had no leader in their hex (only a wounded Medic). The NVA in their first impulse of Turn 5 would have entered the hex and eliminated 3 US squads and a Medic in melee combat. End game!

Overall the game played well. My only big mistake for the US player was to place 3 US squads in E2. I wanted all that firepower to face the NVA and flank the VC but the NVA, even with half firepower for Assault Move, had enough other modifiers plus good dr to kill the US units. Under the right conditions the firepower of even on squad can be devastating. And I didn't even get a chance to use the Sniper!
Old September 20th, 2002, 08:04 PM

Corporal

klausD is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lock \'n Load AAR

Hi,
with alot interest I read the after action report of locknload. After that I looked at the map graphics. While they are looking very good as such, I would recommend to take back a little bit the dot and hexline images. (no light effects and smaller dot-radius)
The reason is that I fear in the game the effects of dots and lines could lead to a distraction of the counters and the terrain.
A second thing: One of the successes of ASL is IMO not only the rules which are structured very good. Its also the good and very pleasant presentation of a scenario. (every scenario has a seperate scenario card and alot of players put even the counters on this card, before setting up) Maybe you can copy this or develope a similiar genius system for scenario presentation?

As rather historically interested I am looking forward to the WW2 edition of Locknload. (SF edition too ) US vs. Vietnam is not so my interest, because I am from Central Europe.

best wishes for your game
klausD
Old September 21st, 2002, 12:52 PM

Sergeant

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the post. We do intend to put each scenario on a seperate card, and the layout is similar (if not darn near identical) to the ASL layout. I like the way that they display their scenarios too!

There will be a WW2 Version. I'm not against that, I just feel it has been done to death.

Best,
Mark
Old October 24th, 2002, 03:58 AM

Private

AndyAff is on a distinguished road

Hi all.
I,ve just downloaded the demo and I,m at the stage where I,ve read the rules and the AAR.
I must say this one looks like a winner to me, a very fine take on a neglected subject.
The only negative thing a have to say at this point is that I must agree with Klaus that those harsh black hex outlines and dots really do jar the eye and detract from the great terrain graphics. How about changing them to a muted grey or something?
Great work Mark
And I,ll definately be getting this one.

[ October 24, 2002, 03:01: Message edited by: AndyAff ]
Old October 24th, 2002, 11:38 AM

Sergeant

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the kind comments. I hear what you're saying about the board, but I kind of like it the way it is.

Best,
Mark