.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > After Action Reports
Notices

Old September 19th, 2020, 02:16 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: German Campaign using War Cab

Sorry tanks are in firing position but restricted range to 12 to stop taking shots switching targets & reveal our position.
Will manually fire initially & quite possibly pull back after as probably outnumbered & will attract artillery
Old September 19th, 2020, 08:21 PM

General

Turn 2 end

The artillery barrage consisted of around 16 pieces half being of map elements, we CB fired on a 150mm battery but there are still 3 out there. We have a dead MMG, abandoned AA gun & 3 other men KIA.
2 - 82mm Mortars have revealed themselves along with several puffs they are using units with 3 mortars each which is a major problem they cause heavy suppression.
2 are together on clear so targeting with 10.5cm battery however I may need to relocate it using a Gold Spot before it fires as has 3.0 call time.

So much for my prediction yes it fell on Vhexes but around half hit around A followed by a major smoke screen.

I have to assume the big push is in the top half of the map so have moved a few units but still will not be able to see the approach above A which is a major problem.

If the AI delays its push or sends scout vehicles first which is what I need to see around A is still viable as the smoke should clear. Near the road is a bigger problem its a deep smoke screen we could be in trouble pretty quickly. Its looking like we will not be able to thin out their armour before they are upon us.

B- Panzer Grenadiers loaded up & possible moves
Old September 20th, 2020, 11:43 AM

General

Turn 4 end

Not going to draw the artillery unless it impacts on engaged units lets just say I think there is more & our casualty list is climbing.
The Pz Grenadiers are doing there best to avoid it rather than get somewhere at present.

Up North this is looking more like a typical Russian engagement we have Su76s & T-34 76 & 85s approaching.
This is initially going to be an armour clash & if I do not take some out while they are fast moving on approach I am probably going to regret it later.
A - Panther is hanging in the breeze with not great support from the MkIV. Of all the tanks I do not want to loose its him but they are the only ones that can cover the far North. Hoping experience means he hits but we cannot stay there long.
B - MkIV in wood are staying put smoke should clear in a turn or two.
JagPz - should be able to move to engage & realised bottom MkIV should move for a better field of fire, at present just sees a single hex row. He can hit & run from the trees if the opportunity arises.
AT Team - considered moving North behind trees but he is my eyes & they may swing his way for lower Vhexes.

In the South

Moved the artillery here to support the previously mentioned Panther.
Flank move so far by T-34/85s & T34OT (flame) the riders dismounted themselves MG fire is blocked.
Got 2 85's so far & the Pz Grenadiers that deployed near the map edge to avoid arty came back. They were heading for the centre but artillery stopped that idea pretty sharpish.
Confident nearest squad will not make it through the trees so AT Team should go undetected & hopefully will get a kill.
Set all tanks to engage infantry at 5 hex range as I do not want them getting distracted.
Old September 20th, 2020, 11:51 PM

General

Turn 5 Midway fired & the odd move what might you do now

The artillery continues unabated 12 men lost several light vehicles damaged & a 222AC destroyed. Thinking is I can defend from a position for a couple of turns then I will need to move, the issue is I could still find I have moved into a barrage.

North

The 250/11 got one T-34 with fire in our turn the other is now facing it so no hope of a kill.
Squad has LOS if more try flanking the question is where are they going AI sometimes ignores Vhexes & keeps straight on before swinging in.
Artillery restricts our options couple of moves we can do in case they go straight.
250/11 probably move a hex so can retake position if more show or reinforce MkIV.

Centre
The Panther killed 3 Armoured Cars & 4 tanks are down the other one fired on was unharmed.
Thinking here is I probably need to stop worrying about the top & concentrate on destroying the push we can see. Panther is way to exposed to multiple angles & any push there will enter the woods so IF I can get them there infantry can tackle them, its a big ask with current artillery.

A - Fire smoke so flank not vulnerable if move now its straight into 152mm arty.
Panther has a few choices due to speed the MkIV does not.
B - All 3 have multiple targets in LOS staying put is to dangerous though going to leave tank at X where it is it has not fired yet.
C - 222AC is on what may be a bit of a suicide mission it can deal with Su76s close up.
D - May therefore try to prioritise T-34s & move to trees, all depends on how fast & where they move.
E & F (Panther) are possibly on the way over main reason for move though was in heavy artillery & smoke obscured their LOS
Y - need more but squad to take up position to assault if tanks come this way.

Big question is where to go when relocate crestline shown limits possibilities those trees are no good. Maybe advance including to Y that would probably avoid artillery initially & near the crest line for shots to NE.
Cannot see any good plan & smoke will probably mess things up losses look inevitable.

South

At least this went well squad getting fried was the only issue the AT Team got both tanks. Question here is have I got to many units here am I just going to get piecemeal pushes or is there a big one coming. We have to hang around for a few turns to find out.

Right now I am wishing we had more Panthers the extra speed makes relocating & dodging arty far easier.
Off to see friends for a few days so short break.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 09:13 AM

General

Turn 6 End

Just posting this will do on occasion as just shown how 2 videos using replay function.
Screen shows end turn & our units that placed smoke as its visible throughout the replay

Went well apart from 250/11 taking a look

AI turn 5 & our turn 6 Our turn starts after you hear the chinks from artillery.
https://www.filehosting.org/file/det...Turn%205-6.mp4
AI turn 6
https://www.filehosting.org/file/det...AI%20Turn6.mp4

To use you need to follow the link > enter your email & they send you a download link.
Tested but cannot post download link here says its only valid for 1 use.

If you have problems or know of a better free hosting site say a video would be good from time to time as you get to see the action & artillery.

Caution if slow internet connection file sizes are 400 & 220mb perhaps try AI turn first if smaller.

If all works okay & would like videos for major action turns either leave a comment saying yes or no or just press thanks button for yes.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 09:18 AM

General

Okay wrong links above those are to download so may work for first person to use
these are the links to the page
https://www.filehosting.org/file/det...Turn%205-6.mp4
https://www.filehosting.org/file/det...AI%20Turn6.mp4
Old September 25th, 2020, 08:17 PM

General

Turn 9 Start

We are back I take it the video idea was not a hit.
We have lost control of the situation in the North I have been trying to get position for a few turns now but tanks appearing from the area of the KV85 are causing issues. Also they have finally stopped charging several units are doing 4 mph or less, to date there hit chance has often been 6-12% I think we have only taken 2 hits.

The Russians have brought all the heavies I think there are 2 x IS-2s left along with a load of SU-152's & a KV-85 has just appeared, I assume it has company.
Ideally I would like to take on the SU-152's in the open as they have a low rate of fire so can probably only manage a couple of shots at best if moving & are pretty inaccurate at range they are not the best armour for infantry to try & tackle. They are a pain though even a near miss can cause heavy suppression and hence reduce my hit chance.

A - 250/11 immobilised the T34 last turn I don't think there are more, we are vacating moving to cross the road & help versus the SUs.
If anyone survives they can try to stop the Russian infantry there when it gets to the road.
Considered moving the MkIV 1 hex towards road but if the artillery shifts slightly it could get clobbered so risking staying & hopefully rally & attack next turn.
B - Artillery should hopefully stop the squads here, not ideal but squads are falling back into arms of AT units (LOS shown) as one of the T-34s has a flamethrower so ranged attack preferred.
Also they are short on AT mines as killed 2 already, a single squad is staying in place for a good assault chance.

J+K - are going first here the squads will have to engage the guard unit & will probably take fire from the T-34 in the process.
L - the squad here will take a look as will the J+K if still capable of moving which is doubtful, tanks will then engage.
M - Squads here will hope to get the IS-2 if it comes through the trees which will probably use their remaining AT mines.

C - The tanks here will engage their targets & now it gets tricky I want 2 to head North but also somehow need to get position to cover the area the KV is at & be aware of the hidden IS-2 nearby.
E - The squad & sniper near here are the only infantry that can take a peak & they have been spotted, the 222AC at D can also risk a look, not ideal but they are cheap.
D - Don't like doing but all 3 in same hex to save smoke panther still has dischargers if okay they can attack the group of SU-152s or whatever else is there.
E - After they draw fire E can attack at closer range but it needs to avoid the two stationary T-34s.
These attacks are likely going to require smoke after or pulling out as the KV is coming, hopefully E can make it to around the red E & squad can smoke which might leave it in a position to target units arriving in the KVs area. That assumes it survives damaged 2 shots if it moves & dischargers are used.
Centre is nearly cleared of armour though there are a lot of routed infantry that may return, artillery has been concentrated here.

No more units have turned up in the South just a few routed squads there to my knowledge. Moving out due to artillery sending a few more North rest will take positions further forward to detect infantry if incoming & let the MGs work.

Writing things down makes you realise a lot of thought goes into a turn its actually far more complex than it first appears not only are you looking at what to do this turn but also the position you will be in later on.

Losses are 5 for 52 most of which must be armour so wondering how much more is to come.
Old September 26th, 2020, 12:30 AM

General

Turn 9 update

Infantry in the woods managed to get 2 tanks one is immobilised the other KIA however artillery was very light last turn only 2 on map units fired.
We have CB fired against 4 batteries so far but expecting a big hit in the woods & in the area the Panther has been working from.

Attacking the North is proving difficult both getting position & actually killing the heavies when you do.
The 222AC is leading a charmed life turned out there was an IS-2 a couple of hexes from our position it had to dodge. Got that one & a SU-152 the other near IS-2 was attacked by 4 tanks at 250-400m resulting in the loss of a StuGIV, its retreating but otherwise unharmed! Was not expecting that it has also caused a MkIV to end its turn exposed to 2 KV's.

Things went well in the centre we managed to kill 3 T-34s & infantry assaulted the SU76 killing it. Hidden IS-2 was one hex further back in retreat & also died to the making our options easier for position this turn as do not need to worry about it.
At least 2 KV85s have shown up in this area to replace them.

Chasing down the last of the Southern infantry going to risk sending a platoon out as 3 Mortars are visible, bit risky but would like to reduce artillery footprint.
I am leaving this area lightly defended I don't think there is anything inbound as infantry is now flooding the North
Old September 28th, 2020, 01:00 AM

General

Got a bit involved tricky few turns so on 13 start now

Only on map artillery has resumed firing off map must have long call times even if its back this turn its to late the infantry in the woods operated unhindered the armour battle is virtually over.

The Woods smoke off

Killed 2 squads when they reached the road so only a HMG & perhaps another squad remain above the road.
We held the line stopping the armour in its tracks here most of our squads here have exhausted their AT mines & the Bren Carriers were effective with 3 kills so far
See what happens with arty but falling back here as no AT & several units can then target what advances.
Would like to send a few units down the road or North of it to try & get behind infantry but see next.

Open area

Its now a case of keeping a gap between our armour & the infantry while we wait for infantry support, due to not knowing what the arty is doing its slow coming as passengers are not staying on board.
With only a few KV's remaining the halftracks will act as gun platforms to contain the infantry.
We lost a MkIV to a KV85

We can probably get 2 of the KV's
A - MkIV & Panther should get LOS on one the 222 currently has LOS so might put a shot or 2 in first, its done really well several
SU76 kills to its name & dodged serious fire a few times.
B - These guys can try the other KV, if they fail units at C can clear that squad & the MkIV there can put one up the tailpipes.
Both KV's are stationary but got hit by artillery.
Panther & tanks here will go East after to try & clear expected artillery

The original battle ground now seems to be ours advancing further may be unwise but will probably have a little push as you do.

South
Nothing else has turned up going for the mortars 4 in about 6 turns on foot
Old September 28th, 2020, 01:43 AM

General

Wow that was it a MkIV took 4 damage in that last exchange but the AI threw in the towel really early.
Look at the amount of infantry remaining, 6 new tanks also arrived as reinforcements hence the extra blips on the GIF last frame.

That went really well shows the power of combined arms & why I never play with a tank heavy force.
Infantry rule you need at least one squad per tank to keep tank losses down, the 222AC lived a charmed life filling in for them at one point guess being small helps.
We had infantry for the main battle in the centre to spot & check lines of fire often placing smoke to cover the tank at turn end so it could advance through it & repeat the process.
Still an ace result only 11 of our tanks were involved as the others were covering the South needlessly. Got to give the infantry their due as well performed exceptionally in the woods, love that Bren Carrier as an ambusher never used it before.

Decisive obviously crushing I would say from early towel throwing.