.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old February 2nd, 2019, 09:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Scenario 4. Egyptian armor - Six Day War

I love the commentary on your tactical thinking shahadi. It really helps to get a feel for what players are thinking when they do scenarios. As a former intel weenie I just don't think and view things like "normal" people (why I got the job). But I was never much good at the "intentions" part. If you want "current status and capabilities" I'm your gal tho!

I'm not all that fond of "slugfest" scenarios, I tend like ones where you have to deploy and react to opposition maneuvers rather then just shoot everything in sight. So having an idea how others may react to the AI controlled opposition is damn useful when I create scenarios.

Keep up the good work!

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old February 9th, 2019, 10:58 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Scenario 4. Egyptian armor - Six Day War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeraaa View Post
Good job shahadi! This was one of the first scenarios I played in the game (back in 2011) and IIRC I drew, but it sure felt like a defeat tbh (I think I had more than 200 casualties to the Israelis having around 90 casualties, not to mention that almost all my armor was destroyed). In general all Arab-Israeli scenarios are very challenging if you play them from the Arab side.
Thanks! Much appreciated.

And BTW, Giannis Antetokounmpo, the Greek Freak at nearly 7 feet tall, but he possesses the athleticism and ball-handling skills of a guard! Against the Dallas Mavericks on 8 Feb 19 he scored 43 points in 31 minutes of play. As captain in the up coming NBA All-Star game he picked Stephen Curry. LeBron James, the other captain picked Kevin Durant first. We love Giannis. All the Greeks know him. Go to a Greek restaurant and order a Gyro, ask about Giannis, and everybody smiles.

The Greek culture produced Giannis, for this NBA fans love you too.

Now, back to researching a scenario.

The Following User Says Thank You to shahadi For This Useful Post:
Old February 9th, 2019, 11:14 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
I love the commentary on your tactical thinking shahadi. It really helps to get a feel for what players are thinking when they do scenarios. As a former intel weenie I just don't think and view things like "normal" people (why I got the job). But I was never much good at the "intentions" part. If you want "current status and capabilities" I'm your gal tho!

I'm not all that fond of "slugfest" scenarios, I tend like ones where you have to deploy and react to opposition maneuvers rather then just shoot everything in sight. So having an idea how others may react to the AI controlled opposition is damn useful when I create scenarios.

Keep up the good work!
Thank you very much Suhiir.

I start from the initial idea, then look around for a real-time or historical narrative to support the idea. After that, like you and Hue City (which by the way, I am still eagerly awaiting that scenario), I do the painstaking research, maps, TO&E's, leaders intent, etc.

And, I agree, ascertaining enemy COA (intentions) is most difficult apart from historical scenario planning.

Old February 10th, 2019, 05:20 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahadi View Post
Hue City (which by the way, I am still eagerly awaiting that scenario),
It's amazingly hard to get info on what the South Vietnamese were doing around The Citadel (and northern part of the city) while the USMC was clearing the southern part of the city. And while I can find the unit designations of (most of) the NVA units involved, TO&Es, and more importantly actual strength and equipment, are few and far between. Also, just which NVA units were where when? Then there's the whole multi-day multi-part aspects. Make a set of scenarios showcasing various phases of the battle (which I favor)? Make a campaign out of it?

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Suhiir For This Useful Post:
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:11 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,687 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Well...... a campaign can simply be " a set of scenarios showcasing various phases of the battle " " campaign" is just a general term for that so you could have a "campaign" of a battle that lasts 2 weeks but contains 10 separate battles, for Hue you could use the same map or cut down sections of it to feature various phases all with the same HQ and a small core force with different auxiliaries for the different phases.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old February 10th, 2019, 06:48 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Well...... a campaign can simply be " a set of scenarios showcasing various phases of the battle " " campaign" is just a general term for that so you could have a "campaign" of a battle that lasts 2 weeks but contains 10 separate battles, for Hue you could use the same map or cut down sections of it to feature various phases all with the same HQ and a small core force with different auxiliaries for the different phases.
That's pretty much the path I'm probably going to take. Why I asked for (and received) cut down portions of the map some time ago (map making and editing is NOT my thing).

Old February 11th, 2019, 12:00 AM

Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Quote:
Hue City (which by the way, I am still eagerly awaiting that scenario),
It's amazingly hard to get info on what the South Vietnamese were doing around The Citadel (and northern part of the city) while the USMC was clearing the southern part of the city. And while I can find the unit designations of (most of) the NVA units involved, TO&Es, and more importantly actual strength and equipment, are few and far between. Also, just which NVA units were where when? Then there's the whole multi-day multi-part aspects. Make a set of scenarios showcasing various phases of the battle (which I favor)? Make a campaign out of it?
USS Hué City is the only U.S. Navy ship named after a battle in the Vietnam War.

An SH-60 Seahawk helicopter lands on the fantail of Ticonderoga-class cruiser USS Hue City (CG 66).

Suhiir, I suggest you open a Hue City thread for your scenario.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg USS_Hue_City_(CG_66)_824x588.jpg (91.2 KB, 816 views)
Old February 11th, 2019, 05:03 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Suhiir, I suggest you open a Hue City thread for your scenario.
Might try that after the 2019 patch comes out.

Old November 25th, 2019, 11:16 PM

First Lieutenant

Roman is on a distinguished road

My last try. It went pretty well ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Egipto vs Israel jpg3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	15876  

Last edited by Roman; November 25th, 2019 at 11:31 PM..
Old November 26th, 2019, 02:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

jivemi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman View Post
My last try. It went pretty well ...
Heh-heh. Pretty much my own results several years ago. Might've preserved a tank or some infantry cowering behind a dune or in a shell crater. It was a matter of trading armor and soldiers for time to hold a few objectives at battle's end.