Yes 7 53.85%
Happy if set up like USMC 3 23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17th, 2020, 12:55 PM

Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,237 Times in 925 Posts
FASTBOAT TOUGH is on a distinguished road
Fallout Re: Offmap Artillery Poll

I support the measure. I normally use Med. Battery sized units. Partly due to cost of the "Big" stuff early in a campaign.

If I do feel I need a "section" more of artillery due to the situation on the ground, I'll buy it after my "repair" and or "expand core" or "combination of both" cycle in the game by using my left over points.

I've found this to work perfectly well for me. I believe this is what Andy was eluding to as well in his post.

It's a simple way to access where I'm at during one of my long campaigns now running on average of 23 turns, if I feel I need more artillery. Having smaller sized units available will just make the math easier as I'll know the "set cost" in advance.

That is of course, that I'm fully understanding of what's being asked in this thread.

However, as a ground "combined arms" (I don't use much air (Of all types.) ~25% or less of the time.) person, I can see where big arty can be more attractive to some players, especially as the arty overload cost has been removed in the last patch. I can fully appreciate the "pound them into the dirt" thought process there.

That's my "penny" in the jar if you will.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..
Old May 17th, 2020, 02:00 PM

Major

scorpio_rocks is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Offmap Artillery Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post
I can see where big arty can be more attractive to some players, especially as the arty overload cost has been removed in the last patch. I can fully appreciate the "pound them into the dirt" thought process there.
My understanding is Artillery overload was only removed for scenarios / user campaigns not generated battles or campaigns (generated or long)

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.
SPMBT Roundel Objectives Mod
SPMBT Small ID Flags Mod
WW2 Roundel Objectives Mod
The Following User Says Thank You to scorpio_rocks For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2020, 02:28 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,696 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio_rocks View Post

my understanding is artillery overload was only removed for scenarios / user campaigns not generated battles or campaigns (generated or long)

correct

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2020, 08:30 PM

Lieutenant General

I see I had a moment. So I retract that part of the para, however I'll stick to my ..."pound them into the dirt"...part of it.

I'm popping in a movie (Watching my Jason Bourne series at one a week.) as I contemplate my 2 hour procedure, getting a crown put in the morning.

Before anyone might think about offering words of encouragement, wince at this thought, with no pain killers ever, except twice (The first one they had to break into 4 pieces as the root wrapped around the jaw bone. I remember being happy to see the shining dental chisel and big hammer in his hands.) when the USN pulled my wisdom teeth (Now you know what happened to me!?!). You volunteer for Sub Duty and they take away your wisdom-teeth.

Enjoy your dental nightmares!!!! That's

I better stop while I'm behind, thank you both for correcting me.

Regards,
Pat

"Ex communi periculo, fraternitas" - My career long mentor and current friend -QMCM/SS M. Moher USN Ret..

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 17th, 2020 at 08:40 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2020, 10:19 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Talking Re: Offmap Artillery Poll

So what your saying is there is no wisdom in volunteering for Sub Duty.....

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2020, 12:18 AM

Lieutenant General

I do what I can to both inform and entertain with glimpses into my world. We are after all humans in the end.

To the "wisdom" issue: 1) Very well done!

2) You have to wonder about a person that volunteers to put themselves inside a "tube" with a nuclear reactor that makes you travel fast underwater, deeper then 800ft. with several hundreds+ of pounds of pressure PSI against the hull (It was always fun to take the "new" guys underway for the first time, tie a string tight across from the Port to Starboard side and watch it "sag" when going deep and see the reactions on their faces. Right up there with sending them to feed the "shaft seals" we'd get most of them every time with that one among others like "dangling" sardines in rough seas and swallowing them whole or chewing them VERY SLOWLY and sticking out your tongue full of sardines, of course that would cause a reaction of another sort.) and do it for months at a time.

Here's what I miss, CINCLANTHOME sending me a "Family Gram" limited to 35 words to include my full name and rate, the smell of fresh baked bread and chocolate chip cookies, pizza night (Sat.) and seeing the most beautiful Sunrises and Sunsets out of the periscope I've seen anywhere in the world, and best of all Homecomings. We still talk about that.

Now there is some wisdom in that!

I digress, and again well done! It put a smile on my face.

Let's get out the vote out here. I'd hate to think only 12 of us represent the community.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 18th, 2020 at 12:35 AM..
Old May 18th, 2020, 04:01 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTBOAT TOUGH View Post

To the "wisdom" issue: 1) Very well done!
I'm not done yet

After they had removed all the "wisdom" in the crew did anyone ever explain WHY ?

There are lots of things that can go wrong with teeth that have nothing to do with them being Wisdom teeth. My dentist has been trying to ( in his words ) "wiggle them out" for 2 decades and I resist if for no other reason than they really don't bother me and ( especially AND....) I have never met anyone who had them removed who ever said " oh yeah they just wiggled them out ....no problem"

The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2020, 05:52 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

My wisdom teeth were pulled out by two different US Army Captains. They both used extreme prejudice as well as my chest to steady their left knee with extra leverage. Good thing I was in my 20s.
Old May 18th, 2020, 10:20 PM

Lieutenant General

First Truth-I had no choice in the matter about the "pain killer", after lateraling hiding the needle on me, they gave me a topical whish I thought OK! Then when I turned away for a second there was the "Doc" with needle in hand, I was DOOMED!!!

As it turned out the tooth was in worst shape then we initially thought last Monday. The cavity had penetrated a crack in the filling and was having a well, and you know what's coming, yes it was having a inside there. 2 hours later we were done we've built a sturdy foundation and we'll cap it in two weeks from today.

And yes the shot "stressed" me out but I didn't however I hate all needles even the ones I've had in my eyes and behind the ear lobe, you see was so mature for my age at a young 24 () that someone decided I needed Glaucoma (I was a USN test case for many years after.) and my Cataracts sooner in life. So I was a partially blind (Left Eye) "navigator" until I retired. But I'm an "Expert" rated shooter by USN standards to this day. What can I say!?!

Second part ARE YOU KNDING ME!!! I think I would've beat the crap out of them, well, except for the that might be a violation of the UCMJ under "Conduct prejudicial to good order and discipline" they cover it all in there. I'd bet there's something in there about Not WIPING YOUR AXX in a proper military manner under Article XYZ! Just a guess on my part of course.

Now to the serous question. I've heard this before, during and after my military career. Based on your Dental health and now a days family history to some extent, the longer you keep them in the more you risk things such as abscess teeth or worse. Also from my last post as happened with my first wisdom teeth pull, the root growing around the jaw bone can have it's own health issues.

Our Corpsmen aboard Subs are very highly trained due to our operational environment. Suhiir can back me up on this, our Corpsmen that volunteer (generally) to be "Field Corpsmen" for the USMC are trained to do minor surgical procedures in the field such as removing an appendicitis and such. Those are the only ones we have onboard Subs once they've received further RADCON Medical training.

As I mentioned above, wisdom teeth are susceptible to becoming abscess, left untreated it will usually become septic in your blood stream. Bottom-line there are to many variables and risks associated with wisdom teeth. Pulling it might not be enough depending on when it's caught. Everyone's pain level is different. I should've been in extreme pain and throwing up everywhere because the pressure in left eye was so extremely high when they found I had Glaucoma.

My pain threshold almost cost me that eye.

Operationally speaking it's one headache (Wisdom Teeth) the Submarine Force refuses to deal with, for something as easy as pulling them out.

I've been Onboard and had Staff duty to where we had to navigate/or coordinate getting a "boat" to the nearest port facility where we could MEDEVAC someone via BSP. Once we almost lost someone to a simple but "advanced" case of appendicitis, that one we did off the AZORES where once stabilized, he was sent to a NAVHOSP we have in Spain, my Marine friend might know where I speak of.
We still keep in touch (And his wife.) now for almost 31 years now among others.

We try to get them off for immediate HUMEVAC's as well for serious issues concerning immediate family health or death situations.
We sometimes will use helos as well.

And there are times, rarely, we've brought people home in a "bag", it hasn't happened on a "boat" I've ever been on, but I know it has during and after my career on other ones. We're a very "tight" community because we asked to do the job, but at those times, you really realize how big the ocean can be especially when you've known someone that came home that way.

And now I need to stop. Have a good night.

Regards,
Pat

Last edited by FASTBOAT TOUGH; May 18th, 2020 at 10:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to FASTBOAT TOUGH For This Useful Post:
Old May 18th, 2020, 10:54 PM

First Lieutenant

zovs66 is on a distinguished road

Not too proud to say 22 teeth were pulled in 2005, the last 4 removed in 2016. Never felt better since they are all gone! No regrets and no pain since.