.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

View Poll Results: What do you think about the arena and the changes this mod makes?
Arena used to be useless and that's how it should stay. 1 2.08%
Arena was fine as it used to be, I always sent a commander there. 3 6.25%
Champion's Trident was fine as it used to be, but something else about the Arena should be changed. 1 2.08%
It's about time something about the Arena was changed, but this mod doesn't do enough. 11 22.92%
It's about time something about the Arena was changed, and this mod is in the right direction. 28 58.33%
I can't choose! 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 28th, 2008, 08:36 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mark of the Champion, an Arena mod

This is a good mod. I'd quite like to see it included in CBM to be honest.
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:11 AM

Private

whiplashomega is on a distinguished road

'bout time someone fixed the Champion's Trident, just wasn't worth losing the two hand slots over before, I think this will be much better. Thanks Endoperez!
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=41788
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:38 AM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

#selectitem "Champion's Trident" --> I get this, we want to change this magic item
#name "Mark of the Champion" --> I get this we want a different name (and I'll keep this, but more as a tattoo/mark on a ship
#copyspr 142 --> a tattoo of a flaming helmet, fine with me
#type 6 --> it's a helmet, I probably need to change this to 8 (misc) then
#armor "Flame Helmet" --> this gives it the flame helmet magic item I guess, but without magic stuff
#descr "The winner of the arena death match will receive a magical trident and an extraordinary flaming helmet. The trident will quicken its wielder and independently fight by his side, and the helmet will protect the Champion while also visibly marking him as the current Champion of the arena. The Champion will have to defend his title and equipment in upcoming death matches until they finally pass along to a new Champion." --> blablabla, I'll change this a lil to suit the setting
#end

#selectweapon 135 --> what does this do and how is this linked to the already ended stuff above? I guess this is the trident again but why is this after an #end command, how can it still work. But I guess if I make this 192 I have a nice attack. The name of it will still be not so nice but maybe if I make a weapon #xxx called Blast of Elemental Power, with AoE 1 too and regular damage 10 AP and then give it 2nd attack 192 I will have a very nice arena reward. (the 2ndeffect on the 192 will still carry through right, you can link dozens of effects if I you'd want right?
#bonus --> makes 135 a bonus weapon ok, good.
#end

PS can you give multiple weapons then? (multiple #armor and #weapon for a complete matching set (not for this mod but for another thing maybe)
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:31 AM

National Security Advisor

Endoperez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
#armor "Flame Helmet" --> this gives it the flame helmet magic item I guess, but without magic stuff
It gives armor. Magic item gives the extra fatigue, fire magic boost and such. The armor gives head protection and, for some reason I'm not quite sure about, little body protection. The armor could just as well be +4 def (like Cat Charm) or +4 def +4 prot (similar to Bracers of Armor) or anything else.

Quote:
#selectweapon 135 --> what does this do and how is this linked to the already ended stuff above? I guess this is the trident again but why is this after an #end command, how can it still work. But I guess if I make this 192 I have a nice attack. The name of it will still be not so nice but maybe if I make a weapon #xxx called Blast of Elemental Power, with AoE 1 too and regular damage 10 AP and then give it 2nd attack 192 I will have a very nice arena reward. (the 2ndeffect on the 192 will still carry through right, you can link dozens of effects if I you'd want right?

PS can you give multiple weapons then? (multiple #armor and #weapon for a complete matching set (not for this mod but for another thing maybe)
Because I used an existing item, it retains its properties. One of these properties is the fact that it adds weapon 135 to anyone using the magic item.

I used weapon modding (as opposed to item modding) to change the Trident into a bonus weapon. If I wouldn't have, the trident would have given penalties to anyone without ambidexterity.

You might want to clear and replace all properties of weapon 135 (the trident) instead of creating a new weapon. I know that magic items can have both #weapon and #armor (Horned Helmet), but I'm not sure if they can add multiple weapons. If they can, you'd have the trident AND the new weapon you added.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM

Lieutenant General

hmmm can't I just clear the whole magic item and add a new weapon instead of 135? or are there other abilities I'm not seeing that would be gone then?
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeal View Post
hmmm can't I just clear the whole magic item and add a new weapon instead of 135? or are there other abilities I'm not seeing that would be gone then?
Quickness. There's no #clear command for magic items, so you can't do that even if you don't care about losing quickness.

Actually, there's no #clear for weapons either, but since we can mod all numerical statistics of weapons that shouldn't matter much. I think the only attribute you might want to clear out of the trident is the two-handedness, and that doesn't matter if it is a bonus weapon.
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM

Lieutenant General

yeah but I'm using tridents on my Illithid.. O wait no those are plasma tridents and completely new weapons.

I''m always hesitant to mod anything existing in the game because I don't know exactly where it's used. (for example someone wanted to mod all skeletons into something else for a mod but that woudl also mean all summoned skellies woudl be different.. etc)

what I don't get though: weapons (like with a number etc) don't have those magic abilities right is quickness something on weapon 135 or is it something special on the magic item. (I still have problems to see what works on magic items and what on just waepons and armor) isn't it the same like the flame helmet not having the magic bonus? wouldn't the trident not have a quickness. The quickness would be in the magic item (the one you mod first right...) ehm no wait that isn't what I asked you.. I was talking abotu the magic item then.. but if I give a new #weapon command the old one would be overridden... hmm it's not easy to test this dammit else I'd do ti.. do you have some trick to test it?
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:05 PM

In this case, to my knowledge the Champion's Trident (weapon) is only used by the Champion's Trident (item). It's different from normal Tridents.

I think ALL powers weapons can have are moddable. So if it isn't mentioned in weapon modding, weapons don't do it. Quickness is part of the magic item (think Boots of Quickness).

Also, it seems like magic items can only refer to a single weapon. So just use #weapon NewWeaponNumber to replace the trident.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM

Lieutenant General

great, thx for the info + help & etc
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:30 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Im tempted to go the other way with arena awards. Kindof American Indianish.

The winner of the arena gets a "tattoo" which tells the world that he is a powerful warrior. He cannot wear armor into battle (non-removable, takes the place of body armor) and charges first into battle (berserk?). He is sought out by enemy warriors and evil spirits (horror marked?). He must continue to prove to the world that he is the ultimate warrior.

Yeah I know. It doesnt make arenas more desireable. And would tend to get the arena winners killed off. I just like the imagery.