.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old March 10th, 2010, 02:29 AM

Corporal

Globu is on a distinguished road
Default Anastasia v1.02 (684-province map)

Version 1.02 is now being hosted at the new site, here. Please go there for the newest version, which now includes a custom version with AI pretenders for LA.

The version referenced below is now obsolete.

Anastasia: 684-province Map for Dominions 3
Current version v1.02

UPDATE 2010-04-29

A minor update that increases the map zoom (it was still quite cramped) and marks a couple more provinces NoStart in the Standard Version.

As before, there are absolutely no changes to the actual map TGA image files. So if you've already downloaded them, there is no need to download the full versions attached to this OP. Instead, get the small ZIP with just the updated .map files and readme attached to my latest post. (I can't attach it to the OP because of the 5-file limit).

I have renamed the "cartoonized" version to "artistic," because the "cartoonized" thing is misleading -- that version of the map is most certainly not cartoonish, but that is the name of the GIMP filter used to modify it that way.

DESCRIPTION

Anastasia is an painstakingly-edited and polished 684-province map (561 land, 123 sea), sized at 4000 x 3000, originally generated by Dom3's map generator. Much of the work involved adjusting terrain to make the surrounding sea province regions contiguous (adding channels and such), and cleaning up the borders to be clean and neat. I have also added a couple of mountain ranges beyond those generated and made the rivers a bit nicer.

As of now, it looks like it will make for a very nice epic-scale game, and seems to have a decent number of chokepoints. At 20 provinces per player, it accommodates 28 land players and 3-5 sea players.

Feedback is very welcome.

STATUS

The map itself is in a finished status, and has been through the wringer a few times checking for errors or gaffes.

What remains to be done is (1) to hand-name all provinces using regional naming schemes, and (2) to add a variant that uses a pool of 40 or 50 #start-tagged provinces.

Aside from the lack of hand-naming, the map is quite playable and complete at this point.

OTHER NOTES

The map TGA image file is available in two versions: a standard version and an Artistic version (which gives it something of a hand-drawn look). They are fully-interchangeable in an ongoing game.

The .map and other files in each download are identical, and are provided in both downloads for convenience.

I have put up previews of the final version (standard and Artistic versions) and a preview image of the map as originally generated without the modifications I've made, for reference. If you switch quickly between the images, you can get a sense of how much change it's seen, as well as the nature of the changes.

(If you have GIMP, you could also generate the same version I've put up as the Artistic version yourself using GIMP's Artistic/Cartoon filter -- I used the default settings. It's as easy as, in the latest version of GIMP, pressing ALT-R-A-R, ENTER, and waiting 20 seconds.) It looks a lot better (and more natural) than it sounds. Also, if there is demand, I can also put up a smaller (say, 2000 x 1500 resolution) version if 4000 x 3000 is unwieldy for some.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anastasia Preview.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	9892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anastasia Preview - Unedited Original.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	9893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Anastasia Screenshot - Artistic Version.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	9954  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Anastasia v1.01 [Globu].zip (22.04 MB, 97 views)
File Type: zip Anastasia v1.01 Artistic [Globu].zip (20.19 MB, 100 views)

Last edited by Globu; May 16th, 2010 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: Update to v1.02
The Following User Says Thank You to Globu For This Useful Post:
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:25 AM

Colonel

Ballbarian will become famous soon enough
Default Re: WIP: As-yet-unnamed 650-province map

Select the pure white pixels 'by color'.
Copy and paste them to a new layer.
Scale the image.
Edit the new layer:
Select by color & then fill the diluted pixels with pure white and then merge the layers.
Map Forge - Map editor
The Following User Says Thank You to Ballbarian For This Useful Post:
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

Wow, nice editing.

It looks playable. I think Id make sure that the island in the upper left corner is no-start.

If you generate a map with a higher mountains setting you can get lots of choke points. Check out some of my maps on www.Dom3Minions.com
Old March 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballbarian View Post
Select the pure white pixels 'by color'.
Copy and paste them to a new layer.
Scale the image.
Edit the new layer:
Select by color & then fill the diluted pixels with pure white and then merge the layers.
Ah, good -- thanks Ballbarian. I'll do that. What image size do you recommend as a playable size for that puppy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Wow, nice editing.

It looks playable. I think Id make sure that the island in the upper left corner is no-start.

If you generate a map with a higher mountains setting you can get lots of choke points. Check out some of my maps on www.Dom3Minions.com
Thanks, Gandalf. Yeah, that island would be a brutal starting point for sure. Will do -- though my later intent will be to mark 40 or 50 provinces as possible start provinces and avoid the #nostart methodology (for the same reason I did so in the Glory map redo -- SemiRandom compatibility).

Hey! I had done a lot of scrounging around for Dom maps, and I somehow missed that page. Checking it out -- really nice!

What mountains setting do you use? For this map I went with 30.
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM

Corporal

Beautiful -- worked like a charm.

In case it helps anyone else, after I copied and pasted the white pixels into a new layer (promoting it to new layer), I then took all the white pixels on the original image and used gaussian blur to make them disappear (as it was keeping little diluted white pixels that were right next to the ones I pasted in after reduction).

And it appears that now I can use MapForge! Yes! (It didn't like the 8000x6000 image.) Whew -- what a relief. I was dreading doing all that work from zero in the game's native map editor.

For now, I'm going to work with the assumption that 4000x3000 is a workable size. Is that a good assumption?
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:37 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yeah most of the Map and Mod lists ignore me. The maps because they are "generated" instead of drawn. But if you want to get around that try playing with GIMPs Sepia function to make it look like an old-style pirate map.

I give an example of my full generating string here.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44262
I like to run them in batches of 100 at night when I go to bed, then look for a particularly good one in the morning.

Usually I use 50.
But Ive gone as high as 70 on really large maps which gives you almost a maze.

I also prefer green for plains instead of that tan color, semi-transparent light-green for land borders, semi-transparent light-blue for sea borders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old March 10th, 2010, 05:42 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Speaking of GIMP you might want to look at these which were done with gimp playing with various land-generating scripts. But I was too lazy to pursue it further.
http://www.Dom3Minions.com/RandomMaps/projects/GIMP/
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:32 PM

Corporal

Gah. I was wrong. It worked, but not like a charm.

GIMP fails to properly recognize all 700-some pixels when it resamples, no matter what resampling method I use. It seems to keep completely eliminating anywhere from 30 to 60 of the province marker pixels in that layer, whether I color them all white, pure pink or black. Sinc is the only method that gets them all... but... eh, I don't need each province marker pixel transformed into three. Anyone know of a way to get it to not fudge the results on some of them? Use Photoshop/PSP?

Quote:
Speaking of GIMP you might want to look at these which were done with gimp playing with various land-generating scripts. But I was too lazy to pursue it further.
http://www.Dom3Minions.com/RandomMaps/projects/GIMP/
Quote:
Yeah most of the Map and Mod lists ignore me. The maps because they are "generated" instead of drawn. But if you want to get around that try playing with GIMPs Sepia function to make it look like an old-style pirate map.

I give an example of my full generating string here.
http://forum.shrapnelgames.com/showthread.php?t=44262
I like to run them in batches of 100 at night when I go to bed, then look for a particularly good one in the morning. [ . . . ]
Thanks for the tips and the reference to the GIMP land generation trick.

Wow, 100 a night... I took a long time (a week or more) to do 50, but then I was doing them all at 8000x6000, which is now seeming pretty crazy in retrospect. And I wasn't doing it with any automated scripting or anything.

But it looks like a nice stash of maps you got there.
Old March 11th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Corporal

Well, there was no way around the GIMP resampling problem. I could only do it in a way that saved all province marker pixels in PS. Ah well. Now for the grueling work of designating 678 provinces...
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:37 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes I originally did mine at really high resolutions. Then I realized that it was probably wasted effort. If you look at the popular maps people dont tend to like high detail in the scenery. They like seeing it in images here in the forum when you talk about your map. But later it just gets in the way of the game.

Ive played with some things like blur, and sepia, and posterize, etc to try and give the map a low-level drawn-looking effect. Some come out pretty good but I havent found a way to automate it.