.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2 > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old May 3rd, 2018, 02:39 PM

Corporal

PantherCub is on a distinguished road
Default Mud on hills

In autogenerated maps in spring or autumn, it seems that the map generator will put mud randomly here and there on the map. This often results in substantial areas of mud on hills.

Mud in real terrain is much more prevalent in low lying areas. Would it be possible to restrict the map generator to using mud on lower elevations?
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:06 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Mud on hills

Mud is very prevalent on hills I can vouch for that, buildings have fallen off them due to mud slides in extreme cases and the weather on the Eastern front at least was some of the worst.
Edit it if you dont like it or change battlelocks to a location with less mud, some have a lot to reflect the above.
Old May 4th, 2018, 11:44 AM

Corporal

The effect in the game of mud is to make vehicles get stuck. I have experience as a tank commander, and I my experience, you are a lot more likely to get stuck in mud in low lying terrain than on hills, most commonly near water features. Hills have other dangers of course, like throwing a track because of uneven terrain, but that is already simulated in the game.
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:48 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,389 Times in 2,686 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Mud on hills

Mud on hills will not change.... Vimy ridge was a big muddy hill during the battle and I will not do away that game capability........There are only a few maps that have extensive mud and we allow players to redraw maps if they get one they don't like........there is only so much I am willing to do to personalize the game based on "complaints" like this.... this has been a feature of the game for years ( TWO DECADES !). You are the only one who has complained you don't like it. I am not changing the game every time someone doesn't like something especially as we have deliberately incorporated ways for players to alter maps if they get one they don't like.

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
The Following User Says Thank You to DRG For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:56 PM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,217 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

Plus there is the option to turn breakdowns off in the preferences screen, if you so desire. The mud will then be slow going, but you won't bog down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mobhack For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2018, 12:58 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Yes, I forgot about that detail that's been part of SP since Day 1

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old May 5th, 2018, 03:21 AM

Corporal

lukerduker123 is on a distinguished road

Man, I feel like I need to add my own personal experience here. In semi-arid near-desert areas mud will form near knee deep on the slope of a hill during a rainstorm. Trying to drag a dinosaur bone off the top of one in that kind of weather is insane. X_X

To me mud in the game always simulated areas of the map during or right after a rainstorm where the ground just got hard to walk on. Rain going down a hill can make the ground an absolute you know what, getting a vehicle stuck in a freshly washed out rut or ravine. Just my two cents here.
The Following User Says Thank You to lukerduker123 For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2018, 12:40 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Exclamation Re: Mud on hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukerduker123 View Post
.........Trying to drag a dinosaur bone off the top of one in that kind of weather is insane. X_X
OK.... you REALLY need to explain that

Old May 6th, 2018, 04:56 AM

Corporal

lukerduker123 is on a distinguished road

Nothing much to explain, really. Family owns a ranch up in Colorado where we invite a team of archeologists to dig on it every year or so. One year it was sleeting down rain but we found a really, really rare bone (A lovely skull) and just couldn't leave it on the hill, so we had to work in mud up to our knees trying to get it down a twenty degree slope.
The Following User Says Thank You to lukerduker123 For This Useful Post:
Old May 7th, 2018, 03:46 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Mud on hills will not change.... Vimy ridge was a big muddy hill during the battle and I will not do away that game capability........There are only a few maps that have extensive mud and we allow players to redraw maps if they get one they don't like........there is only so much I am willing to do to personalize the game based on "complaints" like this.... this has been a feature of the game for years ( TWO DECADES !). You are the only one who has complained you don't like it. I am not changing the game every time someone doesn't like something especially as we have deliberately incorporated ways for players to alter maps if they get one they don't like.
Just to explain, I was talking about the probabilities in the automatic map generator, not about doing away any capability in the game.

And I was not complaining, I was offering feedback as suggestion for improvement of a game that is the one I have played the most of all games I own. One of the best games ever made IMHO! But if you feel that mud is just as likely on hills as in valleys, that is fine, I am OK with editing the autogenerated maps to fit my own experiences of real European terrain.