The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

BCT Commander- Save $8.00
winSPWW2- Save $5.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Shrapnel Community > Space Empires: IV & V

Old March 5th, 2005, 01:13 PM

Major General

Strategia_In_Ultima is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Icaran Super Dreadnought (Beauty Shot)

Mucho mucho MUCHO cool. Can't wait for the full version!
Old March 5th, 2005, 06:48 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Starhawk is on a distinguished road

Thanks and your right that is not yet the final version I already have a second version with the super structure still under construction.

I plan to add a great deal of detail to ALL the Icaran ships and am glad to say that all of the capital ship hulls are complete, except for the final touches that will go into making them a truely impressive ship set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 337066-Superdreadn.JPG (28.1 KB, 183 views)

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

"I'm not really a slapper....I mainly punch and gouge."
Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old March 5th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Alright here it is the second version of the Superstructure and the one I am so far most satisfied with, please let me know what ya'll think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 337114-Superdreadn.JPG (28.1 KB, 194 views)

"If men build things to look like our penis such as towers and ships does that mean female achitects represent women having penis envy?"
A line that made me chuckle, I can't remember where I heard it I just know it made me laugh.

Tammy Lee my kung fu instructor/sifu's daughter when asked if she ever slapped a boy for saying something nasty to her.
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:35 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

narf poit chez BOOM is on a distinguished road

Nice. However, are you sure the cannons aren't going to shoot each other?
Sig updated to remove non-working links.
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:40 AM

Major General

Awesome ship man..... LOVE the secondary/tertiary cannons on the superstructure.

And Narf, ever seen footage of WWII battleships? Those babies had to fire upwards for a ballistic trajectory for the shell to avoid having it plunge into the water after 200 meters. I think that it would look something like that when these ships start firing - only to make an energy beam arc towards a target and not shoot straight, I think you would need to use the gravitational generators on top to create a directed gravitational curve-field that would "pull" the beam into a ballistic trajectory.

On the other hand, they could just fire the inner cannons broadside and the outer cannons in line, or fly lower than the rest of the ships.
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:52 AM

Lieutenant Colonel

The second part is right, the Icaran fighting style dictates mainly broadside fire due to the way their shields work, the foward cannons can in fact fire foward but the inner cannons are meant to fire broadside only.

The secondary batteries on the superstructure are designed for fighter/missile interception as well as the third series of guns firing against capital ship targets.

Old March 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM

Major General

Here's hoping SEV allows firing arcs and ship animations during combat... I can't WAIT to see one of these babies in combat, maneuvering broadside and firing its guns like a true WWII battleship... drools
Old March 6th, 2005, 11:27 AM

Captain

Amos is on a distinguished road

What about bottom turrets? Space is 3D as opposed to 2D of Earths seas. It will have much stronger broadside.
Also, why do you need Superstructure? Its not where you place the bridge is it? Because that would be insane, everybody will shoot at the command center first. The bridge should be as deep inside the hall as you can possibly put it for protection.
Old March 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Amos, there is really a limit to how many heavy energy weapons you can place on a starship without draining it's reactor to a point where it would just become unreasonable.
Since in SEIV the space ships don't whiiz and zoom around like Star Trek ships they will not likely require a "top down" sort of firing arc. And because of their "broadside" tactics the Icarans chose to centralize their firing arc to where all guns can be focused on a ship of roughly the same size. While a bottum mounted turret would not be able to focus on the same target as the top and center turrets because of the sheer "height" of the warships.

Regarding the Superstructure, no that is not where the Primary C&C is however it does house many systems required for the proper operation of the warship, much like a modern warship has a command tower, but the primary command and control center is deep within the hull.

Old March 6th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Major General

And the GFG... perhaps it emits gravitonic disturbances that can cause ill effects on people not wearing protective suits, and that's the reason why it's mounted on a superstructure.