.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Conquest of Elysium 3 dev log

Sorry to ask a foolish question, but what is the consensus on where to discuss the game now that it is out? Is this thread considered appropriate? Since there are no other forums dedicated to it here, on desura?

(Trying to figure out how I can rename commanders, undo botched movement and recruiting, and use "trade", which doesnt seem to work for me)

Sorry and thanks in advance

Last edited by onomastikon; February 20th, 2012 at 05:33 AM..
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:57 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Gandalf Parker is on a distinguished road

There is still some discussing (everywhere) on that point. I guess so far that Desura is supposed to be the official forum but Im still trying to like it.

There is a domain www.CoE-3.com but nothing there yet (any html volunteers?)
And there is a player-made forum coe3.ProBoards.com which is looking good.
A player-made IRC channel was started at irc.gamesurge.com channel #CoE3 and has had a few MP games already.

As to your other questions....
the command switch --rename will allow you to use the n key while viewing your commanders

the --autosave= will allow you to recover from botched orders and recruiting by creating a backup save after each "END turn"

A long right-click on a site will bring up the recruiting screen already set to be recruiting AT that site which really helps avoid botched recruiting

Trade only works if you have trade points to use. They show up in your treasury next to the tiny icon of a loaded cart. You get trade points from things like controlling a Port town (altho some nations such as Burgmeister starts with some right away)
This game is NOT suitable for students, interns, apprentices, or anyone else who is expected to pass tests on a regular basis. Do not think about strategies while operating heavy machinery. Before beginning this game make arrangements for someone to check on you daily. If you find that your game has continued for more than 36 hours straight then you should consult a physician immediately (Do NOT show him the game!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf Parker For This Useful Post:
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM

Corporal

onomastikon is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Not understanding a couple of things, but maybe I will later.
The Desura forum does not seem suitable for decent discussion of this great game -- you cannot even see titles of threads!

What confuses me a bit is that after 5 hours of play, I have not seen a use for the differentiation between blunt, pierce, and slashing damage. Playing the Baron, I have yet to see any of mine own or opponent troops with any form of resistance or susceptibility vs. these. Odd, too, since it is such a great mechanic with great potential.

Similarly, as the Baron, I cannot see any difference between the Halbardiers and the Pikemen: both cost the same and have exactly the same stats, except that the halberd is superior to the pike, unless there is something hidden we cannot see. So what is the Pikeman's raison d'etre?

thank you much
Old February 20th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Corporal

ArkhanTheBlack is on a distinguished road

I agree, that the Desura forum is a bit too 'spartanic' for my tastes.
The player made forum coe3.proboards.com looks much better.
I'll probably post some questions there to support it a bit.

Or... couldn't we just rename the Shrapnel COE2 forum to COE3 and hope they don't see it?!
Old February 20th, 2012, 11:02 AM

National Security Advisor

Edi is on a distinguished road

Note that the Desura comments section and the Desura forum are two entirely different things. The stuff on the main page is comments (much like YouTube comments), but there is a separate forum link there. That place is suitable, but a rather spartan.

The proboard version is a fairly good place, but the Desura forum is sort of the official default.
The Following User Says Thank You to Edi For This Useful Post:
Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

Jack_Trowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onomastikon View Post
Thank you. Not understanding a couple of things, but maybe I will later.
The Desura forum does not seem suitable for decent discussion of this great game -- you cannot even see titles of threads!

What confuses me a bit is that after 5 hours of play, I have not seen a use for the differentiation between blunt, pierce, and slashing damage. Playing the Baron, I have yet to see any of mine own or opponent troops with any form of resistance or susceptibility vs. these. Odd, too, since it is such a great mechanic with great potential.

Squeletons-based units usually have pierce resist, and a few others units (often undeads, but I have not tested all classes yet) get it too when applicable.

From what I see currently, pierce seems to be the more common damage for basic recruited units (bows, spears, etc ...), but alos the one with the more resists out there.

I also found once a magic item giving blunt resist to the wielder.

Quote:
Similarly, as the Baron, I cannot see any difference between the Halbardiers and the Pikemen: both cost the same and have exactly the same stats, except that the halberd is superior to the pike, unless there is something hidden we cannot see. So what is the Pikeman's raison d'etre?

thank you much
I didn't test the Baron, but the pike probably has the "long" property, allowing it to strike from the second rank.

"But the pikemen are front rank, not middle !" you will say, but note that when there are too many units in a rank, they are aligned on several ranks. This means that if you get a large (>20 I think) number of pikemen, you could get all of them to strike, while only the first haldberd would be able too.

Ideally by playing on unit id (the element wich is used to order them), you could in theory have halberds in front and pikes after them to optimize their usage.
Dominions Map validator and randomizer : http://dominions.realites.org
Dominions Map editor v0.75b : http://dominions.realites.org/map_editor
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:47 AM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

They released a demo today, just FYI.
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM

Sergeant

Legendary League is on a distinguished road

Question: is there a way for the baron to change where the annual levies spawn (for example, I had a start where I was stuck in the south, with a river forcing me to move through two cannibal village squares before I can get to plains, which makes levies a pain in the arse to move, while it would be infinitely more convenient for it to be raised in the city outside that damnable position).
Old March 27th, 2012, 12:19 PM

Sergeant

samoht is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendary League View Post
Question: is there a way for the baron to change where the annual levies spawn (for example, I had a start where I was stuck in the south, with a river forcing me to move through two cannibal village squares before I can get to plains, which makes levies a pain in the arse to move, while it would be infinitely more convenient for it to be raised in the city outside that damnable position).
Oh my goodness I wish there was an option to do that, but I'm afraid there isn't.

The baron is one of my favorite classes to play, but the problem you described is easily one of the biggest limits on his power. The only thing I could think of doing would be hoping to get a pyromancer so you could burn down the forests surrounding your starting castle, but I don't know if that effects cannibal villages (probably not), and I know it won't help if you're stuck behind mountains or swamps.
Old March 27th, 2012, 01:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

elmokki is on a distinguished road

I'm very dissapointed. The game has very good potential, I give it that. Commanders (mainly mages and big things, but still) feel more personal than in Dom 3 due to being so much more important and I kind of like the square based map with settlements and wilderness as opposed to Dom 3's every province being a settlement. It's also kind of nice to have very varying mechanics for each "nation".

But, first of all the controls are horrible. In Dominions 3 it's tolerable that we can't queue movement (so that it automatically provided nothing major happens nearby continues next turn) because apart from very late game it isn't that big of an issue as generally you don't have to spend that many turns moving, and even if you do there aren't that many commanders. In CoE3 you have to be moving things all the time and it's very frustrating to move things 10 squares by clicking at the map every time for 10 turns in a row. Turns are so much shorter. There are also minor gripes with the UI, but in general that's the major thing bugging me.

Secondly there's far too much pointless micromanagement. You can only hire troops from those big settlements so it's a lot of micromanagement if you wish to garrison your mines and villages so that some random snake won't take over a big city alone. Alternatively you can hunt down things, but it's even more micromanagement with coms. I don't have anything against micromanagement when I feel it has interesting effects, but here it's just frustrating.

Gameplaywise the game starts fairly slow since (depending on the "nation") you might not be able to do much at all to anything near you. Especially some of the "nations" have a HUGE luck factor in with what they start near to. For some it's a lesser issue though.

I would've wished the combat to have more tactical choices as opposed to "choose list of what spells my mages can cast if they feel like it". Dominions 3 style scriptable combat would've suited this game equally well with some modifications due to smaller numbers of units in general. That said I would've wished the whole game to have somewhat more tactical and strategic choices.

In general I have to sadly say that this was pretty much a waste for my money. Illwinter, however, can fix a lot of this with patches if they wish to. Given good tools to help with the annoying micromanagement of defending your settlements from snakes and bears this might be a somewhat enjoyable game. Oh, and anyway, I've gotten enough enjoyment from Dominions 3 to not mind this being a waste of money.