.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Old April 11th, 2009, 06:53 PM

Second Lieutenant

S.R. Krol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What other games complement your Dominions 3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrison View Post
I think it really needs to be stated, for the old guard who are not aware - Arcanum was done by a studio who made a bid for the Fallout IP. They didn't get it, and they chose instead to implement the majority of Fallout2's character design features, and seemingly many of the game mechanics.
Actually, Troika were the main designers behind Fallout. After finishing Fallout 2 they left Interplay and formed their own company, hence the similarities with the FO series and Arcanum.
Old April 11th, 2009, 08:57 PM

Lieutenant General

JimMorrison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.R. Krol View Post
Quote:
I think it really needs to be stated, for the old guard who are not aware - Arcanum was done by a studio who made a bid for the Fallout IP. They didn't get it, and they chose instead to implement the majority of Fallout2's character design features, and seemingly many of the game mechanics.
Actually, Troika were the main designers behind Fallout. After finishing Fallout 2 they left Interplay and formed their own company, hence the similarities with the FO series and Arcanum.
Fair enough. The little blurb that I found about it, did not explicitly mention that, only that they had tried to (re)purchase the IP.

While I think that the revision of the combat system in Arcanum left something to be desired, the world truly is as detailed and interesting as FO 1+2, and character advancement is very interesting. Cool game, highly recommended. <3
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:57 PM

BANNED USER

Omnirizon is on a distinguished road

I just tried `cortex command' and it's a blast. it would be a definite winner but it:

1) moves a little to slow. It think this is the physics engine. It isn't slowing down the game due to excessive calculations, just the physics actually move slow. They need to do something to speed them up without losing the way they work (I think they had trouble getting nice physics with quicker moving objects).

2) It's in beta with no guarantee of completion (been under development for seven years now). However they got so much done and it is really nice looking with a lot of promise, it would be terrible to see them not get a polished product.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 02:33 AM

First Lieutenant

Illuminated One is on a distinguished road

Quote:
While I think that the revision of the combat system in Arcanum left something to be desired, the world truly is as detailed and interesting as FO 1+2, and character advancement is very interesting. Cool game, highly recommended. <3
Second that.
Imo the battles were better than FO, thanks to the ability to give your character access to some nice item/spell combos during character creation, but then I don't think FO had very interesting combat.

Another game by Troika (Temple of Elemental Evil) allowed very good tactical battles but the setting was just so boring.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM

Lieutenant General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illuminated One View Post
Quote:
Second that.
Imo the battles were better than FO, thanks to the ability to give your character access to some nice item/spell combos during character creation, but then I don't think FO had very interesting combat.
Well you lose the true turn based aspect, as well as attack targeting. The ability to pinpoint specific body parts added a lot of strategy in Fallout - strategy that you don't get with VATS in FO3, simply because the game is too fast paced to make it matter much most of the time. I agree though, the magic system is very robust for that style of game, and allows you a lot of flexibility in overall tactics.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:22 PM

First Lieutenant

PsiSoldier is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humakty View Post
Romance of the Three Kingdom XI is a great strategy game !
The various factions are really unbalanced, so even hardcore players should find something interesting to do. (just try playing Lu Bu !)

Different genre : Sacred 2 is great, full of humor, very complete, a crossbreed between RPG and Hack'n'slash. Just gorgeous. And, best of best, it runs on my 1 gig RAM PC.
Damn, thats up to 11 now? I remember playing Romance II and III It kind of dropped of my radar after that. I didnt even think it existed anymore.
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:28 PM

First Lieutenant

Baalz and I are both playing Demigod, I know he's playing because I played against him last night. I was like "Hey! are you the Baalz from Dom3"?

Turned out he was. He's one tough Cookie in that game too. Both of us are in the top 1% Rankings in that game.. And in fact I see a Micah that is ranked #6 I dunno if its our Micah though. I'm only ranked 97 but I'll catch up with those two soon enough since I very rarely loose anymore unless Ive got a really sucky teammate or I'm trying something new

That game is screwed up though.. Buggy as hell. it shouldnt have been released yet and has many patches to go. Too bad its so damned addictive. Addictive and Frustratingly buggy dont go well together. Ive got problems with my Favor points dissappearing and some games that I play that are not showing up on the website rankings wich is annoying since those games have all been wins. Probably good news for the people I played against though.

That game also runs like crap enough though I have a dual core cpu and a Geforce 9800 Gx2 that can run crysis and Oblivion and anything else I throw at it on very high settings with no problem at all.

Last edited by PsiSoldier; May 9th, 2009 at 05:38 PM..
Old May 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM

BANNED USER

Trumanator is on a distinguished road

If its running like crap on MP it probably has more to do with the massive pirating of it that went on. Stardock's copy protection policy hit a snag when it came to large scale MP.
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:09 PM

Lieutenant General

Nah they just have been plagued by awful server problems since day 1. Beta went 2 iterations past when they wanted to start testing MP, before they had synch issues and whatnot resolved enough that you could even hope to stay in an MP match all the way through.

My roommate bought it so I played around with it a bit, runs like crap on my machine though, so I haven't touched it in awhile. Maybe I should check it out again. Maybe.
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM

First Lieutenant

Yeah Like I said, it still runs like crap.. they must have skipped that whole optimization part of the development process.. along with the part about fixing bugs..

Its just really annoying to know that I have a bad *** video card which is basicly SLI on one single card and it still runs like dog poo