.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

Redeyes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My Philosophy on Strategy Guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf Parker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyes View Post
You'll usually see statements such as "use your sacreds to expand", but nothing about how to script them or which commander to use. Those guides would be for the intermediate player, who knows how to apply useful and concentrated information into their ordinary gameplay.
The problem then is that some would call it a tutorial. We do have a thread label for tutorial. I think as far as this thread goes we might be talking about tutorial, guide, and tips. Maybe FAQ. But even then we seem to be lacking enough labels for everyone.
So there's no strategy in scripting?
Or even in buying a cheap commander early, or leading with a mage to use the battlefield spells you will soon have researched?

Perhaps you are speaking broad strokes, which is what I'm thinking right now, where Strategy Guides should be general advice and guidelines instead of formulas for "this is the best way to expand and win"?

Just asking because I think your stance could be expanded on. It feels as if you like a Socratic kind of guide, where the "teacher" has a dialog with the student so he can find his own way of approaching the problem.

That's just one kind of guide to me, though quite useful I sometimes like something more comprehensive "tutorial"-like, and sometimes just a near numerical analysis so I can see exactly why jotun skinshifters lose to blessed jaguar warriors with certain backup.