.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > Campaigns, Scenarios & Maps
Notices

Old June 1st, 2016, 02:30 AM

Lieutenant General

Suhiir is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Battered Bastards

Scout helos are every bit as important as the attack ones.
If for no other reason then attack helos are more expensive so real armies usually have less. The scout helos can locate targets so attack ones don't waste fuel or make themselves vulnerable flying around trying to find something to shoot.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:59 AM

Corporal

Airborne Rifles is on a distinguished road

The Army is actually in the process of replacing all of its OH-58Ds with AH-64Es. Lots of "last flight" videos out there as the aviation brigades give up their Kiowas.
Old June 1st, 2016, 09:53 AM

Lieutenant General

Odd as it may sound sometimes I think the US military has too much money. Or at least an amazing capacity to waste it.

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:07 AM

Corporal

Grant1pa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne Rifles View Post
The Army is actually in the process of replacing all of its OH-58Ds with AH-64Es. Lots of "last flight" videos out there as the aviation brigades give up their Kiowas.
First, Thanks IMP for the input on ATGM ranges. I'm more familiar with the deployment of Dragon than the Javelin, but I agree with your assessment and will work on that concept for the future scenarios. Appreciate it! I guess my primary concern has been the observation that even with filtering, I've seen units using opportunity fire at longer ranges and seeing either defensive maneuvers or countermeasures defeat the shots. I'm learning but the curve is slower than I would like.

As far as the Scout Helo, Airborne Rifles comments were the basis of my selection of only using the Apache. I guess I'm a little ahead of the rotation concept, but I'll add some assets to balance it out a little in the future. As with ATGM's, I'm on the learning curve with Airmobile tactics.

I appreciate the feedback. It helps me develop in game design. I'm soon retiring and will be driving my wife crazy spending more time in front of the computer than I manage to meek out now (to her expense, she would tell you). Your comments are helping me greatly!

Tom
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:06 PM

Corporal

Just my opinion, but I like your filtering of the ATGMs. Helps to simulate the teams being focused on their platoon's engagement area, as it would be in real life.
Old June 1st, 2016, 08:09 PM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suhiir View Post
Odd as it may sound sometimes I think the US military has too much money. Or at least an amazing capacity to waste it.
Not everyone is entirely happy with the switch either. Obviously the Apache is a more capable combat platform, but as an infantry officer I always appreciated the flexibility of the Kiowa scouts to fly over, land next to my element, get out and discuss the situation with me, and then get back in the sky. I don't really see Apache drivers doing that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Airborne Rifles For This Useful Post:
Old June 1st, 2016, 10:39 PM

Captain

Location: I ain't in Kansas anymore, just north of where Dorothy clicked her heels is where you'll find me.
shahadi is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Battered Bastards

WoF:Battered Bastard
ATGMs range and filter values

I played the scenario to conclusion and found the range/filter settings for the Javelin teams appropriate for opportunity fires. Grant1pa has two settings for the Javelin teams, one at the forward positions and a second setting at the rear positions. Ingenious. Here are the settings: first rear then forward position

Steel Armour Front Max 18 18
Steel Armour Front Min 001 001
Armour Engagement Range 025 012
Infantry Engagement Range 006 006
Soft Vehicle Engagement Range 010 010
ATG/ATGM Engagement Range 030 015

I would have ranged infantry engagement at 3 not 6 hex.

I try to engage targets at ranges where the likihood of a kill is worth giving away position. At farther ranges against a modern armies, Russia certainly qualifies, the vehicle defenses often defeat the shot. But, we'd have to hear more from the design guys to know with certainty.

I found the range/filter settings for the Javelin teams to be spot on. They did their jobs as expected when I played the scenario.
Old June 1st, 2016, 11:21 PM

Lieutenant General

I generally try to fire Javelins at 20-30 hexes. Close enough to hit more often then not but far enough away your position isn't too easy to spot.

Old June 2nd, 2016, 01:47 AM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Exactly where did they find the money to do that?.
Old June 2nd, 2016, 08:56 AM

Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Quote:
Exactly where did they find the money to do that?.
Probably from cancelling modernization programs like Future Combat System and Ground Combat Vehicle.