.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > Illwinter Game Design > Dominions 3: The Awakening > Scenarios, Maps and Mods

Old September 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Sergeant

zepath is on a distinguished road
Default World of Warhammer - Released!

World of Warhammer -- The Old World and Realms Beyond

It is a dark age, a bloody age, an age of daemons and sorcery, of battle and death until the world's ending. These are The End Times.

This is a map file for Dominions 3 that depicts the fantasy world of the Warhammer universe. The map is available in two formats:

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Dogbone.gif[/img] A simple "vanilla" version provides specific starting locations for each of the Dominions 3 nations in all three eras in appropriate locations. Little else has been done to modify the characteristics of the provinces and there are no extra-strong independent provinces to serve as roadblocks or special challenges. This version is meant for multiplayer games and for other users to take up and modify easily. This version is attached to this forum post. Click the above "Attachment" to download.

[img]/threads/images/Graemlins/Ring.gif[/img] The "adventure" version of the map provides appropriate starting locations in the world for each Dominions 3 nation in all three eras, but furthermore strives to recreate the atmosphere and character of the Warhammer world with a great variety of challenging independent provinces. If you want to rule Bretonnia, you will have to convince the knightly rulers of each of its provinces to bow to your will by force. Travel to Sylvania and lay low its vampire overlords or venture deep beneath the earth and root out the goblins, dwarfs, and other terrors from the Underempire. Nearly every province has been modified with an appropriate cadre of defenders and bounty of rewards for the conquerer. This version is still in production, but it will be worth the further wait.

Games Workshop requires certain disclaimers be made since I am using their intellectual property (the fiction of the Warhammer World) to create this material.

This material for use with Dominions 3 is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited.

Chaos, the Chaos device, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Darkblade, the Double-Headed/Imperial Eagle device, 'Eavy Metal, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Golden Demon, Great Unclean One, GW, the Hammer of Sigmar logo, Horned Rat logo, Keeper of Secrets, Khemri, Khorne, the Khorne device, Lord of Change, Nurgle, the Nurgle device, Skaven, the Skaven symbol devices, Slaanesh, the Slaanesh device, Tomb Kings, Trio of Warriors, Twin Tailed Comet Logo, Tzeentch, the Tzeentch device, Warhammer, Warhammer Online, Warhammer World logo, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer world are either �, TM and/or � Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2006, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

With the exception of the blue and gold shield icon used to represent a compass rose in the upper left portion of the map image and the wax seal, all artwork contained herein is either my own original work or was created under the end user licensing agreement between myself and Jasc and ProFantasy.

With that out of the way, I fully permit anyone to use or modify the map image or map file however they wish. These things are my own production and you may do whatever you wish with them. Just credit me where appropriate.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 549664-world_of_warhammer_vanilla.zip (4.77 MB, 4422 views)

Last edited by lch; August 25th, 2008 at 06:44 PM..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to zepath For This Useful Post:
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Lieutenant Colonel

Lazy_Perfectionist is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Map-in-Progress: Ye Olde Worlde

Looks nice. What's CC3 short for?
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:16 PM

Sergeant

Campaign Cartographer 3, a great RPG mapping tool, if expensive.
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:21 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan is on a distinguished road

looks awesome. I've always been curious about the usefulness of CC. I had a CC2 demo once, and wasn't impressed, but I didn't spend that much time on it. Does it take long to figure out?
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Sergeant

Zylithan: Well, I'm doing the actual drawing in Paint Shop Pro because I've never actually figured CC3 out! Plus, I've been using PSP for nearly a decade and it feels natural. CC has an extremely steep learning curve, even in its third installment, but the artwork that comes with the program and in separate expansion packs is simply first class (well done and very high resolution). That's really the only reason I bought it.
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:33 PM

Lieutenant General

Aezeal is on a distinguished road

I'd prepare the map for nearly all races say 15-20 so 25* 17 provinces might be a bit too small small.. I'd go for like 500-700 provinces?

If you want to make a real "campaign" map with armies starting in approprite locations then you'd have to make larger (WAY larger) provinces behind the Dark elf coast up north-west and the old world would need to be considerably smaller provinces to keep the distributing of provinces around start places fair (though races liek the wood elves would be shafted anyway unless you make Athel Loren into a lot of tiny provinces.

An option would be (though less aestheticaly pleasing) to some to make a blow up box of the old world --> an equal sized map just for the old world just below the world map.
for game play purposes it would be much better

You'd also need to make the high elves a near water race though or give em a 2nd start province in the old world (they have one tower left right?)

personally I'd say a map just of the old world would be just as nice though an maybe easier to create.
In for a whole new sort of game? Then try my scenario map Gang Wars.
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:34 PM

General

Kristoffer O is on a distinguished road

Looks great!
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM

Sergeant

Aezeal: There is a map out there somewhere that covers only the Old World, Araby, and the Darklands. It's built on an official WH Fantasy map. I say, we've got to have it all!

Your suggestions about handling province distribution are along the same lines as I've been thinking. The wilderness regions at the extremes of the world will be very large, very poor provinces. Some places, like the extreme north and south, will be impassible. Conversely, I will probably subdivide certain places into smaller provinces. Ulthuan, for example, can comfortably include 12 land provinces.

As for handling the high elves starting location, I plan to give Lothern/Eataine sea-lanes to a few other ports around the world.

Kris O: Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2007, 12:58 PM

BANNED USER

Sombre is on a distinguished road

Very impressive. I really like your idea of creating both high and low province density versions - I really don't have much use for huge maps but it sounds like I can handle the smaller version.

Might I also suggest making a version which wraps both vertically and horizontally? The north and south poles in warhammer are much the same, with a chaos gate at each. I guess having Nippon and Cathay to the west of Lustria and the New World is also fine, since the warhammer world is based on our own.

Of course you can also make submaps by drawing a 'box' around the old world, or the southlands, or Lustria etc. That would allow for smaller quicker games to be played - the conflict between the lizardmen, skaven and dark elves, or the Nemesis crown campaign.

Couple of other things - my 'porting' of warhammer nations doesn't make your mods roughly based on them any less desirable - they are different enough that there's room for both (currently Skaven are warring with Sanguinia in an ongoing mod MP game). For example if I made Vampire Counts, it would still be pretty different from Snguinia and I could see the two being played in the same game quite readily.

The other thing I wanted to ask is if you were planning on doing a quick update job to bring your dom2 mods over to dom3. I had a quick look over them the other day and I think with minimal work they'd fit right in as quality dom3 nations. If you don't want the hassle of updating them, I can do dom3 updated CBM versions of them, if you're ok with that. Choice is yours :]

Oh and very glad you liked the Skaven. Your mods were a big inspiration to me as I started off modding and they're still some of my favourites.
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Sergeant

Sombre: I've made the mistake before of drawing province borders and saving a map image before thinking about how people might actually want to play the map. I prefer high province density myself. With this, the borders and province definitions will be the very last thing I do so we'll have a version with ~150 provinces for you and ~500 for Aezeal.

Personally, I don't like the idea of including sub-maps as part of the whole and I'm confident I can strike the right balance of wealth and aesthetics even if certain regions have to be more tightly packed with provinces. This, of course, doesn't preclude other independent maps focusing on some of the WHF campaigns, as you suggest. If doing this big sucker doesn't burn me out, I could follow up with a separate and smaller map of the Old World or Lustria.

I've read a couple AARs from those all-mod games and it's been a hoot to see how each of the nations is faring. Thanks for all your work tweaking my nations for CBM. As for my Dom2 nations, I have no plans at the moment to bring them over. If you've got the spare time, you also have my full permission. Come to think of it, I don't even have the files for Necropolis on this computer...