World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPWW2
Notices

Old June 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Sergeant

Smersh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HMGs/MMGs and LMGs.

Quote:
HE Kill - the value of the round at killing soft targets. Bigger is better!.
I meant more, what determines the number. I have been looking at LMG and HMG/MMG stats , and it only seems to consider size of bullet (caliber) and ROF.

ex.

-Maxim HMG kill of 5, rate of fire (in reality) 500rpm.

-Mg42 MMG kill of 10, rate of fire (in reality) 1000-1200rpm.

-Most Mgs had a rate of fire of around 500rpm, and a >7mm<8mm bullet, the most common kill number is 5. This seems to show that indeed ROF is the biggest determining factor in determing the kill number.

Now, Should magazine size, etc. not be counted? here are some numbers:

LMGs: BAR* 20 round magazine, Dp LMG 47 round magazine, Bren LMG 30 round magazine, all have a kill of 5. Mg34/42 50 round drum/belt kills of 8 and 10.

(*I'm counting the Bar as an LMG here)

HMG/MMGs: Nearly all HMG and MMGs were fired using a 250 round belt. yets, the maxim hmg has the same kill stats as the dp, and Mg34/42 mmgs have the same stats as the lmg variant (differing only in accuracy, as already pointed out)

edit: If indeed the kill number is determined by ROF and caliber there is some inconsistency in smg kill numbers.

-a ppsh-41 SMG had a rate of fire of 900rpm compared to the 500rpm of the mp40 SMG and they have the same kill number, 5.

-the M3 "grease gun" SMG has the same kill of 6 as the thompson SMG despite it having (in reality) a rate of fire of 400rpm compared to the thompsons 700rpm.
Old June 5th, 2006, 09:13 PM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Re-read Narwans post #427946

Quote:
narwan said:
"The game is a lot more than just stats.

And after he said that were still back debating minor stats.

The ppsh-41 SMG fired 7,62x25 and mp40 SMG fired 9x19mm ammo

The M3 and Thompson fired .45 cal.

BIG difference when it comes to knocking someone down.

Since we don't have numbers that start at say... 50 for what we use now for 5 we cannot split hairs too much ( we cannot make one gun a 52 and another a 57 ) so the decision was made at some point way in the past that the ppsh-41 and the mp40 would be 5 and the heavier .45 cal SMG's would be a 6. Now, some could argue ( becasue that's what some people do ) that the higher ROF for the PPS should give it an edge on the MP40 so if the MP40 is 5....what's the PPsh ? 6? If the faster firing ppsh-41 is a 6 what's the slower firing M3 firing an undeniably a better man stopper .45 cal round ? A 6 as well ? Or do we downgrade the M3 to a five but wait..... we cannot do that or the M3 ends up with the same HEK as the MP40 with it's pathetic little 9mm round ? No... I guess we make the M3 a 6 but now what to do with the Thompson ? If a 400 rpm M3 is a 6 then the 700 RPM Thompson "Has" to be a 7 ??

NO it doesn't so it was decided quite some time ago that the ppsh-41 and the MP40's are 5 and the M3 and Thompson are a 6.

OK?

Play the game, it's more fun that debating stats

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 5th, 2006, 10:46 PM

Sergeant

ok, that is understandable. I can see how it can get complicated.

I know the game is more than stats. I'm "debating" about a real practical issue and not just a minor number, something that affects the game- Machine gun deadliness.

DRG, you explained the last minor part of my post, and its a good answer. what about the main point of this thread HMG/MMG vs LMG I made, u didn't address that. But I can see this is going no-where.
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Captain

narwan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Smersh said:
DRG, you explained the last minor part of my post, and its a good answer. what about the main point of this thread HMG/MMG vs LMG I made, u didn't address that. But I can see this is going no-where.
If you'd read my post you'd see a good explanation why HMG's and MMG's are a lot more powerful than LMG's WHEN THEY HAVE THE SAME STATS.
Double the range also seems a fairly important factor which was also mentioned before.
As a pretty experienced player I can tell you HMG's and MMG's are VASTLY more powerful than lmg's. Why? Splash and range. It's that simple.

Narwan
Old June 5th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Sergeant

nice, definitve answer.
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM

BANNED USER

chuckfourth is on a distinguished road

Hi DRG
Yes the .45 sure has some punch, of course it is a pistol round origionally, adopted after the 1900 phillipines campaign when the .38 was found to be too light to stop charging tribesman. But nothing is all bad, the 45 pays for its punch by exerting a lot of recoil and so makes the gun firing it harder to keep on target, especially on automatic. Anyway the point I would make is that the 'pathetic' little 9mm round produces a lot less recoil allowing the MP or ppsh to stay on target longer. So bottom line is that that MP40 or ppsh will put more rounds into the area of interest than the thompson or M3 and thus increase the chances of a hit. In the game I guess this could be used as justification to increase mp40, ppsh ect accuracy from 1 to 2? And of course being hit by a 9mm might not take a football sized chunk out of you but youll probably still want to report to sick bay anyway. This being the case Im not sure the .45 deserves the extra hit points.
Anyway apologies in advance for what you no doubt find an irritating post.
Best Regasrds Chuck.
Old June 7th, 2006, 11:35 AM

Shrapnel Fanatic

Thanked 5,438 Times in 2,698 Posts
DRG will become famous soon enough

Argue long enough about anything in the game and anyone could find a reason to change just about any bit of data but in this case the stats are going to stay the way they are now.

Don

If you find you are constantly reacting to your enemy's tactics instead forcing the enemy to react to yours, you are losing the battle....
Old June 8th, 2006, 10:12 PM

Private

BaronvonBeer is on a distinguished road

In addition to just reaching out farther (both distance and the area effect), does not the higher range make the weapon more "accurate" overall, despite having the same "accuracy" rating?

I recall reading sometime back that the weapon system's accuracy rating has to do with a unit of X experience (used as a base) hitting a target at 50% of max range, before accounting for unit posture, terrain, etc.

If I'm remembering this correctly, that would make the MMG a good deal more lethal within the LMG's range limits.
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:21 AM

National Security Advisor

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,219 Posts
Mobhack is on a distinguished road

The 1 for FC and RF helps account for the stable mount.

Cheers
Andy
Old July 4th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Corporal

SGTGunn is on a distinguished road

Despite it the large caliber (.45 ACP) the Thompson was fairly controlable firing short bursts - which is what it was intended to fire. Long bursts on just about any handheld automatic weapon are impracticle becuase they overheat the barrel and waste ammunition. The Thompson's heavy weight (~10.5 lbs) helped absorb recoil and the earlier 1928 models (used by the Brits)also had a compensator at the end of the barrel. The M3 SMG dealt with the recoil by having a much slower rate of fire (~450 rpm vs. the Thompson's ~700 rpm). I've fire the M3A1 and found the gun quite controlable and reasonably accurate within the limits of it's effective range.

So if I had my druthers, I'd take a .45 ACP SMG over a 7.65mm or 9mm secure in the knowledge that my 3-5 round bursts are going to put my target down fast and hard. An interesting historical note is that the British Army Commandos in WW2 prefered their rugged and hard hitting M1928 Thompsons over any other SMG, and kept using long after the far lighter and more handy Sten became available.

Adrian