.com.unity Forums
  The Official e-Store of Shrapnel Games

This Month's Specials

Raging Tiger- Save $9.00
World Supremacy- Save $9.00

Go Back   .com.unity Forums > The Camo Workshop > WinSPMBT > After Action Reports
Notices

Old August 4th, 2009, 02:39 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Forgot how good this game was

Fell into the trap of playing samey type battles so decided to do a sort of Campaign (linked battles) Soviets invade Sweden then head for Denmark time now.
I have been Soviet Marines with some serious help from the Air Arm.
Big battles 3 Marine Companies, 1 Marine Tank Co & a platoon of Marine MBTs with MT-Ls Unarmed amphibs & hovercraft for transport & 4 attack helos has been my core force.
We have been doing amphib landings & tasked with establishing bridgeheads over rivers as we have the gear.
Artillery support has varied widely depending on the mission & the Air Arm has provided various support from a few planes to beefing up my helos with a couple of Aligators & providing Para support Airmobile Tanks & Air Assualt Co.

On Marine landings I have discovered the hovers lay down quite good air defence & Aligators (awesome if a tad expensive) are great as they carry SAMs so loses to air have not been as bad as I anticipated while landing.
Thats not to say getting ashore is easy but given the right terrain an Air Assault Co is a great asset, very expensive when one goes down as each platoon consists of 1 helo with 3 Squads & 3 ATGMs. If the terrain is not to cluttered & they make it to suitable fire locations they really take the pressure off the landings by causing a major distraction, keeping them alive now thats a challenge. The Marines to have 3 ATGMs per company & a few of the MT-Ls have them though not all make land.
Makes for a difficult game in that you need to think ahead big style attacking with ATGMs rather than tanks as you are not very flexible. Especially as several of them need flank shots to kill a tank which can be err tricky, means the loss of them while still en route can cause some big headaches as in whats the plan now. This is where the attack helos come in plugging the holes & actually make getting some Ammo vehicles on land at the bridge head quite important. My tanks are really for infantry support & mopping up AFVs though the second time I tried the Airmobile tanks they were quite effective.
Wafer thin armour though & my first attempt was a disater as landed in a hot spot & most died as they remounted or while still crews, scrub 4000 points argh.

Like I said great game realy flexible what you can do with it, I had never thought to try modern landings, costly but doable though terribly easy to cock up. Trying without air support is a nightmare & SAMs are your bane as you need that cover to get you into a position to fight.
Also discovered scouts with sniper rifles are quite good, never bought before as want mine to stay out of the action but marine scouts come with one. Turns out very handy turn his range down normally but can let off a couple of shots in support at range if need be & stay concealed. They have averted a few dire situations by giving a little assist.
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM

General

Imp is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Forgot how good this game was

Damn I just lost 2 Alligators in 2 turns, not SAMs planes, 1 was reloading & got hit on the ground the other was taken out in air to air combat. Only seen that once before, now I think I am in trouble my right flank is down to 1 ATGM with shots left. As a side note while the hovers are handy for getting vehicles to shore hiding is the name of the game they are some what large. Size 17 you have to be blind to miss it, did not know sizes went that high.